EURO 5W-40 Motor Oils

jurko

Site Donor 2022
Looked at many other 5W-40 oils from Castrol. Mobil, Valvoline, etc. but unfortunately the HTHS was not given so they didn't make the list.

5W-40 VII.jpg

5W-40 HTFS.jpg

5W-40 TBN.jpg

In these lists you should designate the approvals the oil holds, that to me is far more important when selecting an oil.
If you have an interest in any of the oils do you think you can do that yourself?

Where did you get HTHS for QS Euro 5W40?
I think it was from oil club ru, I have that number for some time in my Gdrive sheet so not quite sure TBH.
As far as I know, Liqui Moly only indicates minimum requirement for HTHS, not actual HTHS.
Yes I know. I was debating whether to add them or not since they only use

I think it was from oil club ru, I have that number for some time in my Gdrive sheet so not quite sure TBH.

One wonders about those values and any that are on a PDS. They are at best from one particular lot or more likely typical values.

One wonders about those values and any that are on a PDS. They are at best from one particular lot or more likely typical values.
We all wonder about lot of things which makes ok I guess.

There are a lot of great oils on those lists!
I am left wondering though, why only TWO Ravenol offerings make the Mercedes BEVO list for 229.5?
Only HST and VST are MB 229.5. Does anyone think that it has more to do with CAFE, or is it some other issue?

TBH, 99% of chance that GTL based oil with KV100 13.3 has HTHS of 3.5. Probably around 3.7-3.8.

There are a lot of great oils on those lists!
I am left wondering though, why only TWO Ravenol offerings make the Mercedes BEVO list for 229.5?
Only HST and VST are MB 229.5. Does anyone think that it has more to do with CAFE, or is it some other issue?
These oil are not CAFE driven. No oil with HTHS above 3.5 is CAFE driven.

I used to be adamant about using a C3 5w-40 (Valvoline MST) in the 2.8l Duramax, but went back at M1 ESP 5w-30 as it's on the upper side of the viscosity range for a 30 and has a HTHS of 3.6 Goal is to go all ESP line for all the vehicles I service.

OP...Don't make stuff up by saying "Higher HTFS = Lower engine wear".
It's common knowledge that higher HTFS (High Temperature Full Shear Viscosity) affords better protection against wear.
Those oils have also higher HTHS.
However, lower HTHS tends to improve fuel efficiency and have lower HTFS.

Last edited:
It's common knowledge that higher HTFS (High Temperature Full Shear Viscosity) affords better protection against wear.
Those oils have also higher HTHS.
However, lower HTHS tends to improve fuel efficiency and have lower HTFS.
No it's not.
I didn't have a chance to expand on this. For example if the operating parameters of an engine require a minimum HTHS of 3.5 (ie. HTFS of 2.0) then there's no statistically relevant difference in the operational lifespan of that engine running on a HTHS of 3.7, 4.0, or 5.0. Lubricant related engine failures are essentially non-existent today. It simply doesn't happen because it's the engineering that matters.

Yes, sometimes when tracking a heavier oil will be used but again it's engineering because many times it's due to the design of the oiling system but then there's the issue of cavitation from heavier oils.

Last edited:
Jurko, thank you for putting this list of oils together. I am always looking for oils that have the least amount of VII added. I appreciate the time spent on this list of oils.
Welcome.

Back