Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 specs confusing

Unfortunately none of the WM’s around here carry the QS Euro 5w40. I can find the 5 qt on WM with a google search but only the 1 qt bottle shows up on their app. Also noticed QS dropped the “Ultimate Durability” moniker and has a new label design as well. The VOAs of these oils show they’re pretty thin compared to what SOPUS claims.

It was a clearance item here as well, I've got a load of it ha ha. Guys were saying in another thread it was back on line and available for ship to store or home. Could be regional I dunno.

I have 2 jugs of the QS Euro 5-40 that state SP along with SN and SN+. Is that just to tell people that it's ok to use? Because I don't believe that a Euro oil meeting 229.5 and A40 could really be SP.

I have 2 jugs of the QS Euro 5-40 that state SP along with SN and SN+. Is that just to tell people that it's ok to use? Because I don't believe that a Euro oil meeting 229.5 and A40 could really be SP.
Can you elaborate on this please? I just want to learn the details of the spec/approvals you mentioned. I’m confused what’s going on with the QS euro 5w-40 now that I’ve scratched the surface. The PDS I looked at was from recently this year and SOPUS still labeled it as “Ultimate Durability”. However, every where I’ve looked to purchase some, IE Amazon, it says it’s discontinued or it’s only available with the new labeling, Could be just a packaging design/marketing decision by SOPUS. Seems like they’re price gouging the US market by limiting the in-stock offerings at retailers to PP Euro 5w-40 single qt bottle off the shelf. GTL also isn’t mentioned in the QS literature, from what I’ve seen, although the SDS sheets indicate it’’s clearly GTL. Kinda odd.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on this please? I just want to learn the details of the spec/approvals you mentioned. I’m confused what’s going on with the QS euro 5w-40 now that I’ve scratched the surface. The PDS I looked at was from recently this year and SOPUS still labeled it as “Ultimate Durability”. However, every where I’ve looked to purchase some, IE Amazon, it says it’s discontinued or it’s only available with the new labeling, Could be just a packaging design/marketing decision by SOPUS. Seems like they’re price gouging the US market by limiting the in-stock offerings at retailers to PP Euro 5w-40 single qt bottle off the shelf. GTL also isn’t mentioned in the QS literature, from what I’ve seen, although the SDS sheets indicate it’’s clearly GTL. Kinda odd.
What approval are you looking for?

Seems like they’re price gouging the US market by limiting the in-stock offerings at retailers to PP Euro 5w-40 single qt bottle off the shelf.
Because a company doesn't offer a product in a container size you want, they're price gouging? Wow. Maybe they determined that volumes on that product would be so small that their break even price would be prohibitive. Or considered gouging.

Because a company doesn't offer a product in a container size you want, they're price gouging? Wow. Maybe they determined that volumes on that product would be so small that their break even price would be prohibitive. Or considered gouging.
Mobil and Castrol sure do sell a lot their 5W-40 jugs off the shelves here in America…

Mobil and Castrol sure do sell a lot their 5W-40 jugs off the shelves here in America…
If Walmart placed an order for 5 quart jugs, it would be filled. Otherwise, I'm sure it's considered too low volume to offer in a myriad of containers.
Before Walmart dictated that they be offered, 5 quart containers were a tiny portion of the market. Quarts and gallons were the industry standard. Buy billions in oil, you can change the standard. Without a big chain store order, low volume products don't get bottled in 5 quart containers.
Not exactly price gouging.

If Walmart placed an order for 5 quart jugs, it would be filled. Otherwise, I'm sure it's considered too low volume to offer in a myriad of containers.
Before Walmart dictated that they be offered, 5 quart containers were a tiny portion of the market. Quarts and gallons were the industry standard. Buy billions in oil, you can change the standard. Without a big chain store order, low volume products don't get bottled in 5 quart containers.
Not exactly price gouging.Niy, you’re really hell bent over this.
Boy, you’re really hellbent over this. And it’s f’n hilarious.

Boy, you’re really hellbent over this. And it’s f’n hilarious.
Not hellbent. I thought I could offer some insight to someone who has no clue. Stay ignorant, it's fine with me.
It's ironic, I read this forum for the amusement I get from posts by dummies. Thanks.

Not hellbent. I thought I could offer some insight to someone who has no clue. Stay ignorant, it's fine with me.
It's ironic, I read this forum for the amusement I get from posts by dummies. Thanks.
Seems to me like you read this forum in hopes to find some little comment that rubs you the wrong way that you can jump on. Then get an ego boost by belittling someone over the most insignificant bs. It’s funny the way some people “offer insight” by being completely brusque and insulting. Fine, they’re not price gouging. You win the BITOG forum championship,So pathetic. LMAO.

API SP Zinc and phosphorus limit is 800ppm in XW40.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro is below that and it is approved for MB229.5, BMW LL01 etc.
No, monogrades, Xw40 and Xw50 can exceed that limit, only resource conserving grades are required to comply with the limit, even if the oil is not resource conserving if it's Xw30 it still has to comply with the 800ppm limit, now in order for an HDEO to be dual rated it has to comply with the resource conserving limits.

No, monogrades, Xw40 and Xw50 can exceed that limit, only resource conserving grades are required to comply with the limit, even if the oil is not resource conserving if it's Xw30 it still has to comply with the 800ppm limit, now in order for an HDEO to be dual rated it has to comply with the resource conserving limits.
I am having hard time following you. What is incorrect I said about PPE 5W40 API SP? HDEO were exempt until May 2020.

I am having hard time following you. What is incorrect I said about PPE 5W40 API SP? HDEO were exempt until May 2020.
In general monograde, and non resource conserving grades which would include all Xw40 and Xw50 oils, are not confined to an 800ppm limit on phosphorous for API SP, only the resource conserving grades are, the only time a non-resource conserving grade has to comply with the resource conserving limits is if it's a dual rated HDEO.

In general monograde, and non resource conserving grades which would include all Xw40 and Xw50 oils, are not confined to an 800ppm limit on phosphorous for API SP, only the resource conserving grades are, the only time a non-resource conserving grade has to comply with the resource conserving limits is if it's a dual rated HDEO.
That is not what I understood in API brochure that is available online.
So far no Euro oil except Pennzoil (Shell Helix) is SP and PPE is within those limits.

That is not what I understood in API brochure that is available online.
So far no Euro oil except Pennzoil (Shell Helix) is SP and PPE is within those limits.
If you look at Annex G in the API 1509 doccument, where it gives the limits, it .8% by mass on the column for API Resource Conserving oils, and also in the column on the 0W-16,5W-16,0W-20,5W-20,0W-30,5W-30, and 10W-30, but on the column for all other grades there is no limit, and there's a little note somewhere under the CK-4 section where it says if a CK-4 and FA-4 sections that say if an HDEO is dual rated it must comply with the API resource conserving limits for the S rating they claim. An Xw40. Xw50, or monograde oil could be API SP and have in excess of 800ppm of phos, so could 20W20, 15W30, and other uncommon grades.

Back