K&N isn't working well in '01 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the K&N out to recharge it today and found this in the inlet tract.
sick.gif
I drew the line in the dust to show how dirty the inlet tract was.

KN002.jpg

KN001.jpg

I have around 30,000 miles on this filter since the last recharge. I've never had this problem with a K&N on Mustangs, but they've always been the type of filters that clamp directly on to the MAF housing flange.

Now I'm just wondering if the filter had a poor seal in the stock airbox (filter gasket was lightly greased) or if the K&N is letting that much dirt though?

It looks like I'll be giving that Amsoil Ea nonafiber air filter a try sooner rather than later.

shocked.gif
37.gif

Like I've said before. Just say no to K&Ns. Had the same dust on the motorcycles I've run one in before.

Ever done a UOA with this combo and see if the SI was high?

I'd just drop in one of the name brands filters and you'll be good.

Bill

Do you actually measure a performance loss with a paper filter? On a BIG filter box, paper usually doesn't make that much of a problem with performance. Usually trucks have bigger boxes.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Ever done a UOA with this combo and see if the SI was high?

Yep, Si was 36 ppm with Pennzoil Ultra. After that UOA I greased the filter gasket and made sure it was well seated in the air box. I didn't spot the dust in the inlet tube back then.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Do you actually measure a performance loss with a paper filter?

Probably not on a stock 4.6 2V, but two Motorcraft air filters cost the same or more as one K&N, which is why I gave the K&N a shot.

I've never had this problem with a Mustang.

The Si reading on my UOA actually went down after installing a K&N on my GS300. And I had parts of the intake off a few weeks ago, looked squeaky clean. Why some people have issues with them and why some don't is a mystery to me. I've had a good luck. No issues to report after nearly 45K miles.

I got a K&N for the Equinox, hoping to get a bit better performance. Before putting it in, I researched it (stupidly, I didn't research it before buying it). I ended up returning it after my research and keeping the paper one. I get 20k on an air filter ($10 to replace) on the Vibe. The Equinox one has 28k on it, and as of 25k, it looked almost brand new ($25 to replace, which I'll probably do at 50k). I'm sticking with paper.

At one time I used to run oil cotton filters... Now everything either uses a OEM paper filter expect for my car as I run a AEM Dryflow on the CAI.

1)As mentioned, hold it up to the light, and see the spaces in the media.
2) If you insist on running oiled cotton filters, 30K is way too long for a recharge in most conditions. I would run 15K max, personally. These filters need the oil to help catch and hold particles.
3) You probabaly should clean your MAF senor and throttle body.

I call K@N filters a fools filter . Most people have results like yours. I tried a set of them on a motorcycle in the early 70s and was underwhelmed at their filtering ability.

Tonight I pulled everything off, cleaned the MAF elements and the interior of the inlet tube, and cleaned and re-oiled the K&N. I'll run the K&N until I get an Amsoil Ea air filter.

I guess I'll cut this oil change a little short.

Not surprised. Cleanable filters are just a bad idea. Just gimmee an Oem I can run for 18k and throw away.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
The Si reading on my UOA actually went down after installing a K&N on my GS300. And I had parts of the intake off a few weeks ago, looked squeaky clean. Why some people have issues with them and why some don't is a mystery to me. I've had a good luck. No issues to report after nearly 45K miles.

It must be a mystery. I have a K&N cone filter & intake and the intake piping is clean. It's been installed close to 50k miles.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
This is the first time I've ever had an issue with a K&N air filter.

I think I'd contact them. It would be interesting to see what they do or how they respond to the problem.

Well....I just checked my K&N (drop-in) in my Nitro. I checked the upperside of the air box and the air tube that leads to the throttle body - clean. I went as far as to use a Q-tip to see if I could get it dirty, again - clean.

Could you have a leak somewhere in your system. I would contact K&N and see if you can send them the filter for testing.

Last edited:
^ I had the same results on my dad's Montego (Duratec 3.0). His airbox + filter were filthy! There were bugs, foxtails, etc. in the bottom of his airbox. It was driven on numerous country (gravel) roads. His K&N was on there for 40K mi before I cleaned it for him. For kicks, I took a white paper towel, and wiped the inside of the upper intake tube. It came out spotless. I guess it works for some, and not for others.

I just installed an Amsoil EaA191, if nothing else it is a MUCH better/snugger fit in the airbox. I had to fight the K&N to keep it in place while I got the clamp on the air box, the EaA is so snug that it just stays in place.

I'm thinking my issue was the filter not sealing properly in the box, as I've never had a dust issue using cone type K&Ns that clamp directly on to a MAF flange.

$38 for an air filter that is good for 4 cleanings (100K) miles, doesn't use oil, and claims to flow and filter better than a paper filter seems like a pretty good buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back