Costs of vehicle repairs/maintenance

Great thought. This past winter I changed the thermostat on my minivan. I wondered how many others are driving inefficiently with a malfunctioning thermostat because they just don’t pay attention? I would not have noticed if I wasn’t watching the temp gauge and noticing it was not warming up fully.

There is a code for that when it's not warming up fast enough which is supposed to be a clue to change the thermostat.

In 1967 I worked for a summer at a Pontiac Buick dealership. We had a customer who was shopping for a new car. His approach was that as soon as it needed a new muffler he traded it in.

In those days mufflers were not very durable so he was on a 2 or 3 year new car schedule.

I keep my cars almost forever. I had most of the work on my '86 Volvo done at a Volvo specialty repair place. Bought it new. Over 18 1/2 years and 285,000 Km it averaged $1150/year to keep it in good repair for everything - tires, batteries, oil changes, brakes, water pumps, various seals, etc. On its last day in my care I wouldn't have worried about just getting in and driving it 300 miles. I sold it to friends who drove it for 5 more years.

I save by doing my own maintenance. I do oil & filter changes, brake work including fluid change, engine removal & replace for changing clutch plates, plugs and wires, transmission fluid changes, coolant changes, timing belt changes and other things that come up. I figure this is the way that I know for sure it's done right. I don't have to wonder about the quality of parts and labor.

Last edited:
I over maintain but I am getting to the point of doing minimal and trading in at 5 to 10 years .

Last edited: