air filter for rav4 hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 23,700 miles on my 2017 R4H and had it 2 years on this day. Yesterday, had it in at the dealer for state inspections and do the 25,000 mile service before my Toyota Care runs out. I get a call saying my cabin filter is dirty and they would change it for $45. I flatly declined. Besides, both air filters are due to be changed at 30,000 miles. First off, most dealers will get you to change air filters by seeing them being dirty. My HVAC still flows air pretty well, besides why wouldn't the engine filter be as equally dirty? Any how, I got online and saw I could go buy K & N filters for a good deal, they are doing a mail in rebate. So I bought a cabin and engine filter. Then later on, saw many things that they are not as good as they say they are. I really was buying them for there reusability note than anything, but saw they can allow more dirt through and oil can mess with the MAF sensors. So I went and canceled the order. So what is your recommendations? I know there is a lot of people that say, buy OEM, but OEM is not always the innocent party here as they keep most of there information properitary, which doesn't allow you to compare shop.

Denso is fine, and you can buy them online.

Their First-time-fit is also available, and may be a less expensive alternative to the dealership parts.

Fram is fine for engine and cabin air filters also.

Good job cancelling the K&N. Any known brand including OEM is fine for the engine air filter, can't remember seeing any testing between brands. Put whatever you like in the cabin. The 30K change interval is a suggestion, it doesn't hurt to look at it every oil change to make sure all is well.

Paper filters are paper filters. Zero issues with K&N air. Mostly internet BS.

I've used K&N air filters and a few other similar oiled "gauze" type air filters a long time ago, but now just go with a good paper filter these days. There are 2 or 3 threads (with good ISO 5011 test data comparison) on page 1 of this forum showing that K&Ns always show to be less efficient and let more dirt through. I'd rather keep the extra dirt out of the engine vs gaining a couple more HP at wide open throttle.

In the case of Toyota, OEM filter may be cheaper or the same price as Fram for air filter.

Check Amazon especially if you have Prime.

FWIW, my Toyota dealer always told me to change the air filter on all the 25K free service.
I told them no because I always check the filter and vacuum the canister and air blow the filter.
I just changed mine around 43K miles and it was not too dirty but it is a good $20 insurance.

Don't mess with the OEM Denso filter. FWIW, while the Denso is all hydrospun PET/PBT fiber, the aftermarket Chinese/Korean filters use a hard plastic frame with a rubber gasket and the filter media is "fused" to the plastic frame. The OEM piece and maybe the Chinese-made First Time Fit line filter are nicely made pieces.

Toyota and Honda are the few cars I will stick to OEM on.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by 2015Corolla
www.amazon.com/Bosch-6055C-HEPA-Cabin-Filter/dp/B01JYSX028
www.rockauto.com/en/parts/bosch,5203WS,air+filter,6192

If you don't mind less airflow, and a filter that plugs up easily leading to no air flow, not to mention the initial chemical smell, straight from the box.

The only aftermarket cabin filters I will use are Mann/Mahle or Fram. The Mahles I've installed for Toyotas looked like the MicronAir(Freudenberg) Bosch relabels, but made in Romania.

Alright back. Took both engine and cabin filters out yesterday. There was no doubt that the cabin filter was more dirty over the engine filter, so the service tech was not lying about. But it was about all large pieces. Don't know why that would be other than the engine air flows up, where the cabin air flows down. Knocked and vacuumed the cabin filter so I think I could get 30,000 miles out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back