Just bought a Yaris...break-in oil question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just bought a new Toyota Yaris. I plan on doing 5000 mile synthetic OCI's.

What do you guys think about the first oil change? Just go the first 5000 miles on the factory fill oil and not worry about it - or - perform a oil change at say 500 miles or ???miles. What would you do?

I would say you're fine on the factory oil for 5k miles, but if this is going to make you lose sleep at night, then go ahead and change it sooner.

If it were me, I'd run a short interval of say 3K, then do a full 5K on Dino, then synthetic after that.

Others may tell you differently, but thats what Id do if it were my car...cool car by the way! Apparently they handle quite well.

Last edited:
like ryan said, you will get a lot of views on this. When I bought my 02 Tundra new, I changed the oil and filter at 500 miles, then 1500, then 3K. Then I put synthetic oil in at 3K. I am just anal like that though. Good luck with your new ride.

I got antsy and changed the oil in our '07 Town & Country at 1,000 miles. Ran that oil for 4,000 miles to the 5,000 mile mark, and began my every-5,000 mile OCI, on the 5,000 mile multiples.

I have not seen very much evidence that tells us changing the FF early is necessary. I think it's mostly a "feel good" move, really.

Having said that, I'll confess that I changed the oil before the 5k mark on my wife's new Corolla when we bought it 2 years ago.
whistle.gif

If you do end up changing it early, send in a sample for a UOA and post the results for all to see, that might shed some light on early FF changes
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
like ryan said, you will get a lot of views on this. When I bought my 02 Tundra new, I changed the oil and filter at 500 miles, then 1500, then 3K. Then I put synthetic oil in at 3K. I am just anal like that though. Good luck with your new ride.

Change it early like tackleberry625 said. Look at all the metal shavings in this new Toyo Sienna.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1190118&fpart=1

I certainly would not change it at 500 or at 1500 miles. I would go out to maybe 2,500 at the earliest if I were going to loose sleep otherwise follow the manufactures warranty. You can go synthetic at the first oil change regardless of miles. I also think that once broken-in that a 5,000 mile OCI may be too conservative. A good synthetic like Mobil 1, PP, Valvolins Super Syn should go out to 8,000 miles easily but, in any case don't mess with the warranty recommendation in the area. Just my thoughts. Ed

I think it depends on how fast you want a normalized UOA. I'd tend to go with the tackleberry method if that was your goal ..increasing the length of the OCI by 50% each time. Pick a starting number. Again, I think it will only accelerate the number reduction.

Warning to HONDA owners: Do not attempt this at home. It's against the law. Any removal of the FF early in a HONDA will result in Mr. Ginsu ninja mercenaries descending upon you with orders to remove the appendages from your body.

At 5,000 mile oil change intervals syn oils aren't necessary. At 10,000 mile or 15,000 mile or 1 year oil changes syn oils would be the way to go.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
I got antsy and changed the oil in our '07 Town & Country at 1,000 miles. Ran that oil for 4,000 miles to the 5,000 mile mark, and began my every-5,000 mile OCI, on the 5,000 mile multiples.

Me too, I changed in my 08' Corolla at 1K, 2K, then 5K. The dealer said to keep it in for 5K, but I just couldn't discipline myself enough not to change it earlier.

Quote:
Warning to HONDA owners: Do not attempt this at home. It's against the law. Any removal of the FF early in a HONDA will result in Mr. Ginsu ninja mercenaries descending upon you with orders to remove the appendages from your body.

LOL, this is true. We waited for this reason alone. I didnt want to have to enrole in a witness relocation program!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

LOL.gif

The yaris is an easy oc,don't even need to jack up the car,the filter and drain plug are right up front.
I replaced my filter only at 500 miles,then a complete change at 1500 miles.
It's not going to hurt anything to change it out early.

Must be similar to my Corolla. I don't have to jack up the car for oil changes. Filter is up front and easy to reach and the fumoto valve really makes it super easy.

Originally Posted By: Foch
Hi,

What do you guys think about the first oil change? Just go the first 5000 miles on the factory fill oil and not worry about it - or - perform a oil change at say 500 miles or ???miles. What would you do?

I Vote For Chevron Supreme after 3,000 miles with the factory fill, then switch to Chevron and change to synthetic after 5,000 miles

Thanks for everyone's advise.

My plan at this point is to change the oil at 2000 miles with a good dino oil, and then make the switch to syn at 5000 miles. Then stay at 5000 OCI's.

I like syn oils for the cold Maine winters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back