It looks like electric vehicles are going to be shoved down our throats

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for 2020 or 2019 essentially all new residential dwellings (ie. detached houses) must be NetZero. The result is that builders are selling these new homes with solar on the roof.

And an already extreme housing market for that much more expensive for lower and middle class households.

And an already extreme housing market for that much more expensive for lower and middle class households.
The inctremental cost for installing solar when building a housing tract is minimal.
The cost savings far out weigh the additional solar costs.

The inctremental cost for installing solar when building a housing tract is minimal.
The cost savings far out weigh the additional solar costs.
We get it - as long as taxes and regulatory burdens only slowly boil the frog it’s all good - regardless of whether they disproportionately affect lower classes.

Last edited:
The issue in California is zoning and NIMBY and in reality it's not unique to California. People don't want huge multifamily apartments but they have no problem with the State rendering CC&R's null and void in their neighborhood because they want to build an ADU in their backyard.

There's a lot of fantasy going on in that article and it's concerning when they conflate power with consumption (Watts versus Watt-hours)

Thank you for the explanation sir, that makes complete sense now.

I am trying to remember the last sunny day we had. It has been months.

It's sunny here in Chicagoland today! Except the fact everything is covered in snow or ice at a warm 14F (or -9 by tonight!)

Basically I look at it like this...they have 15 years to figure it out...shorter charging times, longer lasting batteries, cheaper battery replacement, longer charge mileage, lower initial cost.

When they figure this^^out, I won‘t have a problem with it. Question becomes, will they figure it out? I sure won’t be holding my breath that GM will be figuring it out, so it better be someone else.

While this is an interesting topic, and interesting discussion, personal criticism of other members is not allowed. Please stick to the topic.

For a work commute car, a Nissan Leaf would work for me, and i have 220v 50amp available on the corner of my garage.

But Nissan seems to have really left the leaf owners out to dry. Hard to get replacement batteries, or the cost upwards of 10k with installation, if you can get one.

Last i read, some Nissan dealers told owners, forget it, just buy another new Leaf.

While this is an interesting topic, and interesting discussion, personal criticism of other members is not allowed. Please stick to the topic.
The comment wasn’t a personal criticism directed at any particular member.
Sorry I didn’t know Elon was a member of BITOG.

That 60 amp breaker on #6 wire should be a 50 though. Pretty sure of that. Maybe your load is over 50 on each leg though, and the wire is rated for the temp. It would bug me though to run too close to the highest rating. Over 50 amps on each leg is a lot more than a typical charger I believe.

As I recall, I think that depends on whether you use #6 Romex (NM-B) or run individual THHN wires through conduit. Most homes use NM-B which is good for 55 amps and therefore can use max of 50 amp breaker. THHN through conduit is rated for full 60 amps. If you install a 50 amp receptacle, then a 50 amp breaker should be max (in US).

As I understand, Canadians typically use #8 for their 50 amp receptacles which means Tesla has to limit charging from a 50 amp receptacle to 32 amps for everybody.

In new construction in parts of Canada, its common to run #6 wire to a stove, central AC unit or hot tub outlet. If you ask for 220 in the garage an electrician might run #10 and a 30 amp breaker unless you specify #6 and a 50 amp breaker. Very few homes have #6 wire run to their garage. Just another expense to jump on the EV bandwagon.

In new construction its common to run #6 wire to a stove, central AC unit or hot tub outlet. If you ask for 220 in the garage an electrician might run #10 and a 30 amp breaker unless you specify #6 and a 50 amp breaker. Very few homes have #6 wire run to their garage. Just another expense to jump on the EV bandwagon.

On the other hand, if one is building a new house these days this would be a smart decision. Get that wiring in place for a charger if and when the time comes. It might be a selling point in certain areas.

For a work commute car, a Nissan Leaf would work for me, and i have 220v 50amp available on the corner of my garage.

But Nissan seems to have really left the leaf owners out to dry. Hard to get replacement batteries, or the cost upwards of 10k with installation, if you can get one.

Last i read, some Nissan dealers told owners, forget it, just buy another new Leaf.
There are killer lease deals on Bolts. Excellent range; owners I know love 'em.

Reactions: 4WD
Concentrated Wind, hydro, and solar facilities decimate fragile habitats and critical migratory corridors. It’s 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

We could have been pursuing new nuclear tech but instead will establish arbitrary deadlines that will overburden ancient infrastructure and then invest in energy sources that require huge land capital with horrific in-situ environmental impacts.

Not to mention what happens to solar arrays when natural disasters occur...

I took this photo firsthand.

D33B0462-CE45-49C0-9EFD-6FEE852FD587.jpeg

All these costs will eventually be passed onto the consumer. Household Electricity rates will go through the roof for everyone the more popular these become...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back