It looks like electric vehicles are going to be shoved down our throats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some big solar farms … note the land mass of some …

This paragraph was interesting.

“As with other forms of power generation, significant challenges exist with regard to regional habitat modification, such as that resulting from the heat island effect, and the resulting stress to local threatened species.[8] Several planned large facilities in the U.S. state of California have been downsized due in part to such concerns.”

They ramrod these so called green power generation projects through with seemingly no environmental considerations but if you wanted to put in a gas fired power generation plant that takes a tiny fraction of that area and produces more energy to boot, it will get scrutinized and studied every which way and sideways for environmental concerns.

“As with other forms of power generation, significant challenges exist with regard to regional habitat modification, such as that resulting from the heat island effect, and the resulting stress to local threatened species.[8] Several planned large facilities in the U.S. state of California have been downsized due in part to such concerns.”

They ramrod these so called green power generation projects through with seemingly no environmental considerations but if you wanted to put in a gas fired power generation plant that takes a tiny fraction of that area and produces more energy to boot, it will get scrutinized and studied every which way and sideways for environmental concerns.
That’s one plus of roof mounted solar … that land space was already consumed …

Gas plants always took a while to permit for them. At the one I worked at years ago, there were gas lines going to the plant. That can be an issue as it used around 60,000 dekatherms a day. Then you had oil for a backup, enough oil tanks on site to run the plant for 4 days. They did a test firing once for a few hours. Took several tankers to fill the oil tanks back up.

You think that's bad, you should see the process for building a nuke, hoe-lee-crap.

electric smectric, it's the autonomous ones - ICE or electric that will relegate us all to the track one day!

Fences are great, fences like blinkers, fences from Mexico to Canada.

tagesuebersicht.png

Different, but related: There is a Silicon Valley company that is building massive server farms in the SF Bay on floating barges or something like that. I was invited to a seminar...
Interesting Jeff… have a link to an article?

You think that's bad, you should see the process for building a nuke, hoe-lee-crap.
I think if electric demands increase in our major cities … tax payers will have to assist in our stalled project to upgrade a nuclear plant … unfortunately we will have to witness other things fall short first …

Some people tend to think of power loss as an inconvenience and many of us have small gens.
I just mentioned the new tubular mill using massive heat treat ovens (that must be electric) to BiL.
Where he works they build aerospace components from exotic materials - and he said have scraped them from time to time due to black outs while big parts are in the heat treat ovens.
This can’t get worse on companies that barely make it now.

can’t criticize Elon or Tesla … only GM - even though the ones that often do don’t qualify for many jobs at GM
I guess it would also be wrong to point out here that an “EV company” that is supposed to be a leader in low carbon technology has now invested a substantial amount in Bitcoin that is anything but “energy efficient” to mine......
Some would call that hypocriscy, BUT NOT ME (for fear of getting backlash again).
Maybe Bitcoin mining is going all solar....
We will definitely need more solar farms 😜.

Last edited:
I guess it would also be wrong to point out here that an “EV company” that is supposed to be a leader in low carbon technology has now invested a substantial amount in Bitcoin that is anything but “energy efficient” to mine......
Some would call that hypocriscy, BUT NOT ME (for fear of getting backlash again).
Maybe Bitcoin mining is going all solar....
We will definitely need more solar farms 😜.
Buying coins is different from mining. Exiting coins have already been mined and could have been around for a long time.

They can be moved as necessary. They don't take up expensive Silicon Valley real estate.

Anchor them down by the Dunbarton bridge. That’s mostly a mudflat anyway.

The bird poop might be a issue though.

Interesting idea but they have to have some effect on the Bay and the aquatic life there.

Buying coins is different from mining. Exiting coins have already been mined and could have been around for a long time.
It still cost energy to mine that coin in the first place no matter how long ago it was mined. Point is, the computation power needed to mine a coin keeps on increasing and they are still continuing to be mined and will continue to be mined as long as it has value or the max number of bitcoins is reached. There are still approx 2.3 million bitcoins left to be mined. How much energy will be consumed before reaching it? And then what about the next crypto coin to be invented and mined, how much more energy? And then the next coin? My point is, no crypto coin is created without expenditure of electricity. And how is most of the world’s energy created? If all mining stopped today, then yes, there is no more energy consumed and buying and selling coins would have no implications on energy consumption. Or if the world completely ran on sustainable energy, then you can waste as much energy as you want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back