Is Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 now API SP rated? Good for LSPI prevention?

We only get the 5W40 in Australia, just showing it's possible to be API SP (with LSPI protection) and ACEA A3/B4 (full SAPS) and keep your Porsche A40 approval. They are not mutually exclusive, but the final product is up to the formulators.
yes, but when it comes to 0w-40. Castrol edge and Shell helix ultra 0w-40 dropped the Porsche approval for the api sp

I'd only really be concerned with LSPI potential issues with a GDI-turbo engine . If non - turbo GDI than SN or SN+ rating is fine ...

yes, but when it comes to 0w-40. Castrol edge and Shell helix ultra 0w-40 dropped the Porsche approval for the api sp
My Porsche will sure miss those fine 0W-40 lubes. :cry:

porsche.jpg

As Porsche is moving towards lower SAPS lubricants, there is probably less of a demand for full-SAPS A40 approved motor oil. And if there isn't enough demand, the big companies won't bother with getting their lubes re-approved. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 was always closely developed with Porsche, so I have no doubt it'll carry the A40 approval for a very very long time.

View attachment 127675

As Porsche is moving towards lower SAPS lubricants, there is probably less of a demand for full-SAPS A40 approved motor oil. And if there isn't enough demand, the big companies won't bother with getting their lubes re-approved. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 was always closely developed with Porsche, so I have no doubt it'll carry the A40 approval for a very very long time.
Mobil developed C40 with porsche for a reason. Im sure others will begin to develop a c40 oil

It does seem plausible that the current additive pack is compliant with SP. VW502 oils (of which M1 0W40 is likely one of the most commonly available in NA) were specified for use in small, forced induction VW engines for a while before 504 and 508 were introduced (again, talking about NA), and I'm not aware of any widespread LSPI related issues in any of those engines.
I would imagine the change is to consolidate phasing out of the A3/B4 engine requirements and consolidating the additive packages as well as the newer engines LSPI issues

Last edited:
I would imagine the change is to consolidate phasing out of the A3/B4 engine requirements and consolidating the additive packages as well as the newer engines LSPI issues
Euro 6 emission standars or above for newer cars sold in EU. Since many of the newer gasoline cars have now days dpf they need lower saps oils just like light duty diesel cars sold in EU have needed for years. So its more about emissions than Lspi issue 🙂

View attachment 127675

Reason for it...its is emission regulations, still there is plenty of Porsche cars that need A40, full saps isn't going anywhere soon. But anyway my post was about 0w-40 SP oils losing the Porsche approval.

Reason for it...its is emission regulations, still there is plenty of Porsche cars that need A40, full saps isn't going anywhere soon. But anyway my post was about 0w-40 SP oils losing the Porsche approval.
I think our reality is a complex computer simulation powered by quantum computers and we have to escape it... somehow. :unsure:

Or maybe we're just going in circles?

Back