Is it me or them at the bagel store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Hong Kong, I know my lye in food like moon cake and noodle, and I also know everyone has a limit (i.e. Wonton noodle's lye can induce vomit if the a home cook doesn't know what to do with it, like let it air out for 1 day before boiling it, fresh isn't the best in everything)
I hope AutoMechanic is paying attention in case he ever encounters authentic Chinese food instead of the American Chinese food that's part of the SAD (Standard American Diet). 😉

A343C6FB-2A86-4CC3-98CB-EACD9702E131.jpeg

The high end restaurant near me has a similar sign. I went there last week. Asked if they still had an item on the menu that I wanted to try. The young man said yes. He might have been a little autistic. When the waitress came over and I ordered the item, she said they didn't have it. I replied that the young man said it was on the menu. She said, yes, it's still on the menu but something is broken and they can't make it. I was disappointed but had to laugh.

I get it, that could be incredibly frustrating when you took time to get ready and had the expectation of satisfying your craving only to find out the store was closed. As of late there appear to be few who want to work, we can thank you know who for that.
You're completely missing the point.

People don't want to work for low wages, in poor working conditions, and with little job security. The current conditions have been driven by a desire to exploit workers and the workers finally demonstrated that they had enough.

So they pulled themselves up by their boot straps and left the service sector. Just like they have been told to do for years. And the silly, self centered reaction to this mass exodus is that the exploiters are opining that people don't want to work.

What a crock!!!!

Could depend on state law. Here there's a law that says you can't require people to work more than 6 hours without a lunch break. Doesn't have to be paid, you just need that break. Maybe they're just down to two people and have one person man a shop for an hour would get all the customers mad. so easier to take the 1/2 hour.
I'm betting this is what it is. They probably only had two people working who both started when they opened the store, and nobody coming in for the next shift.

I think everyone should work customer service in high school, it teaches you how to treat people. Chances are if there is an issue with the store (besides getting the wrong change back) it's related to the poor management.

People don't want to work for low wages, in poor working conditions, and with little job security. The current conditions have been driven by a desire to exploit workers and the workers finally demonstrated that they had enough.

So they pulled themselves up by their boot straps and left the service sector. Just like they have been told to do for years. And the silly, self centered reaction to this mass exodus is that the exploiters are opining that people don't want to work.

What a crock!!!!
I saw a sign at the local Dunkin that said "now hiring, $15/hr!!". When I got to the window I asked how many hours they were looking to hire someone for per week. The manager said 10 hours a week. I laughed and drove away. They don't want help they can count on, they just want a continuous revolving door of high school kids they can move around depending on the need.

Took my Wife to our favorite Taco Shop yesterday. We got there at 3pm and the girl behind the counter put up a CLOSED sign. She said they don't have a second shift as nobody wants to work.

Last edited:

What a crock!!!!
But it's not just the lower level jobs that have a shortage. At my company, we typically get 40 to 60 applicants for any of our openings. Lately, we are getting a dozen or less.

It is the year 2021. We are spoiled to so many Luxuries that we forget how fortunate we are to have such things as Bagel Shops.

Why not take Luxury to the extreme and order by Door Dash or another service? Then you can get upset with Door Dash and never use them again if they are late.

My town does not even have a Bagel Shop so i have no idea of your frustration.

It's not about people eating lunch, it's about closing the store for 30 minutes 2.5 hours before the store closes for the day. The other bagel shop in town was open and doesn't close for lunch.
I'm pretty accomodating to individual differences and situations, and I can certainly understand your frustration. I encounter that type of thing more frequently these days.

Costco ran out of rotisserie chickens, our bank had to close the drive-thru window because of staffing shortages, local donut shops are opening later and closing earlier, it's been written here that there are shortages of oil in some grades at some stores, my apartment building can't find a maintenance person, there are chip shortages for new cars, automakers have cut production on some models ... the list goes on. I guess you're just going to have to get used to things not being the way they were pre-pandemic.

Don't get your knickers in a knot over having to wait for a bagel ... sheesh.

Many moons ago (when I was young and VERY naive) I worked for a small local mail-order company. During the "busy" season from Nov thru Apr, the owners insisted that we work unpaid OT and that the hours would accrue so that we could take extra time off during the "slow" season. Of course, they just didn't want to pay OT not to mention taxes on those wages. Wish I knew then what it all meant. Would've been very satisfying to blow the whistle on them.

I work at a major corporate chain auto parts store.

We had to close an hour early the other day. The other closer went to lunch and never came back and nobody was available to cover. This area isn't the type where being open alone is a good idea, to put it nicely. Even just two employees at any given time is iffy.

Every industry is experiencing staffing shortages right now. The local Starbucks is drive-thru only now for the same reason.

There are few better feelings than when people around you have the stark realization that people that work retail sales and food service are actually human beings.
Yes, and you realize that those human beings that are in management positions are mentally flawed in their decision making processes and close the store during a time when there is still considerable demand from their customers.

About the only justifiable reason to do something like that is if in fact they have a serious staffing shortage. And given the situation with a lot of people not wanting to go to work, that is possible. But it should be just a very temporary action by management.

It really has nothing to do with treating the employees like slaves and not wanting them to take breaks. They all managed to take breaks before the pandemic right ? The owners of the shop will soon learn if their policy is beneficial to their business, and now that the government gravy train of unemployment benefits has been cut off, maybe some of those self entitled millenials will be happy to work for $15 an hour. Which is about $7.50 more than the work is really worth.

It really has nothing to do with treating the employees like slaves and not wanting them to take breaks.
It certainly does if labor laws require it after a specified number of working hours, and you don't have the staff to cover the shift. My younger sister works at the deli at a local supermarket. She was the only one working there for 3+ days, because one guy didn't show up, and another quit with no notice. Both of them weren't millennials. ;)

I sort of see both sides here.
Yes they need break and are short staffed.

taking a 30min break at the beginning of lunch rush is stupid.

Whats next close the deli for 30min at 5pm?

I saw a Karen at the grocery store throwing an absolute fit because they didnt have precut trayed watermelon slices due to 50% of the help missing in action that day.
They asked her to apply ;).
Some people have no idea how bad it is.. live under a rock like the Geico commercial.

The propaganda is people dont want to work.. the reality is TONS left that employment sector and got other jobs.. now they just get really BAD help for their low wages.

yes teenager staring at phone sitting in chair doesnt deserve 15$.. Person working half staffed flipping burgers might deserve 15$

Yes, and you realize that those human beings that are in management positions are mentally flawed in their decision making processes and close the store during a time when there is still considerable demand from their customers.

About the only justifiable reason to do something like that is if in fact they have a serious staffing shortage. And given the situation with a lot of people not wanting to go to work, that is possible. But it should be just a very temporary action by management.

It really has nothing to do with treating the employees like slaves and not wanting them to take breaks. They all managed to take breaks before the pandemic right ? The owners of the shop will soon learn if their policy is beneficial to their business, and now that the government gravy train of unemployment benefits has been cut off, maybe some of those self entitled millenials will be happy to work for $15 an hour. Which is about $7.50 more than the work is really worth.
Except you're wrong about cuts in unemployment benefits resulting in higher employment rates. It's actually quite the opposite according to the Economics Policy Institute.

States that chose not to cut federal pandemic unemployment insurance benefits have, on average, experienced greater job growth since April than the 26 largely Republican-controlled states that cut benefits to unemployed workers.

Leisure and hospitality employment has grown at a quicker rate in states that preserved full unemployment insurance benefits than in those that cut federal assistance.

You also say that the work is worth $7.50 an hour, but the market is clearly demonstrating that you're incorrect. If you were correct, the jobs would he filled, but the opposite is occurring. You're a free market capitalist, right?

Time to update your mindset!

Last edited:
It is the year 2021. We are spoiled to so many Luxuries that we forget how fortunate we are to have such things as Bagel Shops.

Why not take Luxury to the extreme and order by Door Dash or another service? Then you can get upset with Door Dash and never use them again if they are late.

My town does not even have a Bagel Shop so i have no idea of your frustration.
We don’t either - but our pig in a blankets and breakfast burritos crush all bagels !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back