Is it me or them at the bagel store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to grab a Turkish coffee at The Soul Grind and they were closing! It's only 5:00pm. What am I going to do? I'm not going to Donkey Donuts! 😱

I think it depends where you live. I can see why maybe there isn't a good bagel shop in your area.
We have a high-end bagel shop in the 100,000+ city near me. They get their bagels shipped in from Costco, LOL (source: bakery manager at Costco).

I was going to grab a Turkish coffee at The Soul Grind and they were closing! It's only 5:00pm. What am I going to do? I'm not going to Donkey Donuts! 😱
I have a new Keurig, if that helps. The old one kinda died after I ran vinegar through it.
The almost 5 year old LG fridge (freezer) is on the blink, so there's that, too.

I get it, that could be incredibly frustrating when you took time to get ready and had the expectation of satisfying your craving only to find out the store was closed. As of late there appear to be few who want to work, we can thank you know who for that. So lately when we spend much longer in line at the fast food place, I have been trying to thank the workers I come in contact with for showing up.

It is your right to leave a review and never go back.

We have a high-end bagel shop in the 100,000+ city near me. They get their bagels shipped in from Costco, LOL (source: bakery manager at Costco).
I don't think that really means anything. When there's 8.4 million people in New York City, there are probably a few good bagel shops in there. I'm over 600k in this city and there's not really any great pizza in the area. Probably because in New York, they do so much volume that it's fresher and better and the bad ones go out of business so only the good survive.

Oh and I've had Costco bagels, they're ok, but not like a good one in New York City.

It's not about people eating lunch, it's about closing the store for 30 minutes 2.5 hours before the store closes for the day. The other bagel shop in town was open and doesn't close for lunch.
Why don't you go to the other bagel shop in town?

I'm not really offended by your comment but seriously, nobody says you have to go to this shop. For example, there is a very good restaurant in our local mall called Ding Tai Fung and the wait is always 1 hr for take out and maybe 2 hr for dine in. Sometimes they are so packed they tell you to NOT come for even take out. I still like their food (IMO they are better than one of the Michelin Star one I've been to) and they are still expensive ($77 for a dinner that a cheap restaurant can do for $35, or Panda Express can do for $25), but I just couldn't afford to go there due to wait time (they don't take reservation) unless it is a special occasion for dine in like treating a special out of town guest, or love one's birthday. I would never bring my impatient father in law there.

Last edited:
I get it, that could be incredibly frustrating when you took time to get ready and had the expectation of satisfying your craving only to find out the store was closed. As of late there appear to be few who want to work, we can thank you know who for that. So lately when we spend much longer in line at the fast food place, I have been trying to thank the workers I come in contact with for showing up.

It is your right to leave a review and never go back.

🤦‍♂️

On Saturdays we only have one person working in parts. We close for a half hour because the State of CA says we must have a minimum uninterrupted 1/2 meal break before the 5th hour of working. We close from 12:30-1PM. I post a sign in addition to the regular posted hours sign as soon as I get in on Saturday and tell everyone that calls or comes in during the week of our hours. Every week someone comes and tries to open the door and bangs on it while I am eating. Also FWIW I can't escape to the bathroom on a Saturday when I am the only one there, so by the time 12:30 hits that is my first stop. I have had people start complaining when I do open at 1, I shut them down everytime. I usually ask if they enjoy their meal break when they work, to which they always say they do, then I say I just had mine and if they don't like it they are free to complain to someone higher up, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Amazing how we can get all bent out of shape that a shop closed for a 1/2 hour to post up a question on a forum... If you haven't run into any type of restaurant or food service that has weird hours, spot closures, etc... in the last year, consider yourself lucky. In many places these days it is the norm.

In the meantime, head to the other shop. Spend your money where you please.

Ran into this today. Went to grab lunch after an athletic event - new hours on a paper sign - closed Sundays, open 11-6 Monday and Tuesdays... Just went somewhere else... Just reality these days with everyone running lean staffed.

Your signature says you’re in NJ. There are bagel shops all over.

I generally find that bagel shops open very early, and close early. But if short staffed, and starting at 4 or 5am, yeah, I’d want lunch at a reasonable time…. Which may not happen otherwise. The amount of time doesn’t seem unreasonable.

You can move on to the next bagel place not 5 minutes away. The shop doesn’t mind the lost revenue, since they decided to close. The slight inconvenience to you is something to be annoyed about, but I’d be a little bit understanding too…

I'm not sure if Costco is high end or if 100k is a city population to brag about.
Many places sell bagels that aren't real bagels. Real bagels are boiled in water, often with lye, then baked. Fake bagels are just baked. Real pretzels are also boiled either in water with lye or baking soda before being baked. Different Costco stores may have different suppliers for their baked goods. Let's not even talk about English muffins and proper baguettes.

Last edited:
Closing time =/= clock out & go home time. They have to clean, probably count/balance their register & prep for the next day. That's easy another hr + of work. I agree though, you shouldn't go back...do them that favor.

Oh you mean you can't call a bagel shop in a city of 100k a high end place?
I would consider Costco's bagel ok, however their croissant are just ok and would not compare to a real bakery (a real bakery should close down if they sell Costco's croissant). Personally Noah's Bagel is decent but I'm sure I have never really tried truly magnificent bagel. Panera Bread would be a small step above Costco but I'm sure expert would still call it commercial meh.

Many places sell bagels that aren't real bagels. Real bagels are boiled in water, often with lye, then baked. Fake bagels are just baked. Real pretzels are also boiled either in water with lye or baking soda before being baked. Different Costco stores may have different suppliers for their baked goods. Let's not even talk about English muffins and proper baguettes.
Agree. The Safeway "bagel" for example are just dinner roll, not boiled not with lye isn't considered a bagel IMO. Personally I think Pretzel has too much lye flavor and bagel's lye amount is probably the max I can take. I'm from Hong Kong, I know my lye in food like moon cake and noodle, and I also know everyone has a limit (i.e. Wonton noodle's lye can induce vomit if the a home cook doesn't know what to do with it, like let it air out for 1 day before boiling it, fresh isn't the best in everything).

Also talking about Bagel, my dad's hometown has a "Tandoori oven" style bagel from back in the days, my dad grew up with seaweed filling between them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back