Is it me or them at the bagel store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if Costco is high end or if 100k is a city population to brag about.
My point was that this establishment is presenting itself as a high-end place to get better quality bagels, but ironically they just get them delivered from Costco, probably not a product to be compared to the genuine high-end bagels that are made in the specialty shops you guys talk about in New York, etc..

Similar to going to a high-end restaurant, only to find out that their lasagna is frozen Stauffers.
shopping

My 100,000 comment was to suggest that the town is big enough to support a "high-end" bagel shop. Geeeeesh! :)

My point was that this establishment is presenting itself as a high-end place to get better quality bagels, but ironically they just get them delivered from Costco, probably not a product to be compared to the genuine high-end bagels that are made in the specialty shops you guys talk about in New York, etc..

Similar to going to a high-end restaurant, only to find out that their lasagna is frozen Stauffers.
shopping

My 100,000 comment was to suggest that the town is big enough to support a "high-end" bagel shop. Geeeeesh! :)
1) Name and shame this shop.
2) So far I haven't seen a high end Korean restaurant in a town of 100k yet, maybe 500k and we will see one. I hope bagel would be better but it might be more popular in New England so maybe 100k is big enough?

What I see in my small town is the rebirth of family owned - only this time mainly of Asian decent doing the baking, waiting on folks and paperwork after hours … Oh, with perhaps a Hispanic cook since Mexican food is popular

Its the chains that are short handed …

What I see in my small town is the rebirth of family owned - only this time mainly of Asian decent doing the baking, waiting on folks and paperwork after hours … Oh, with perhaps a Hispanic cook since Mexican food is popular

Its the chains that are short handed …
It is legal for owners to work at a loss, so is contractors on gig economy. This is how many get around the minimum wage law: be your own boss.

Somewhere, there is an online bagel store forum, where an employee starts a thread titled "Is it me or them at the bagel store".

I sort of see both sides here.
Yes they need break and are short staffed.

taking a 30min break at the beginning of lunch rush is stupid.

Whats next close the deli for 30min at 5pm?

I saw a Karen at the grocery store throwing an absolute fit because they didnt have precut trayed watermelon slices due to 50% of the help missing in action that day.
They asked her to apply ;).
Some people have no idea how bad it is.. live under a rock like the Geico commercial.

The propaganda is people dont want to work.. the reality is TONS left that employment sector and got other jobs.. now they just get really BAD help for their low wages.

yes teenager staring at phone sitting in chair doesnt deserve 15$.. Person working half staffed flipping burgers might deserve 15$

If the law there is like in California, you have to take the meal break before the end of your 5th hour. I kept getting in trouble a month or so ago because I was at work long enough to need a second meal break, but the law has a caveat where if you are going to be gone for the day before a certain number of hours you can skip the second meal. Ford some reason my work left me hourly, so when I worked this past Saturday from 7:30-4 it was all overtime.

shopping

Most chain restaurants, that is pretty much what you are getting.

And to continue this thread, guess i am lucky to have an actual good bagel shop within walking distance of my house. City living FTW!

Most chain restaurants, that is pretty much what you are getting.

And to continue this thread, guess i am lucky to have an actual good bagel shop within walking distance of my house. City living FTW!

My bagel shop is the discussion is walkable from my house. We've walked there before. It's about 2 miles away. Glad we didn't walk there and find it closed for lunch.

If the law there is like in California, you have to take the meal break before the end of your 5th hour. I kept getting in trouble a month or so ago because I was at work long enough to need a second meal break, but the law has a caveat where if you are going to be gone for the day before a certain number of hours you can skip the second meal. Ford some reason my work left me hourly, so when I worked this past Saturday from 7:30-4 it was all overtime.

but they should have a min of 2 people.. why did they both go and at that time will be never known.

OHIO a meal is only required for minors afaik.
most places you either get paid lunch or 2 15min paid breaks and a 30min unpaid lunch. or some combination.

Where I'm currently at meals are optional and unpaid. I get 2 15min breaks unless shift exceeds 10 hours then 1-15 and 1-20min
Minors working 5 hours or more are required to take an unpaid lunch before the 5th hour (4h 59min is ok)
Seems like it might vary widely by business and location.

but they should have a min of 2 people.. why did they both go and at that time will be never known.
What if you only have 2 people and then 1 didn't show up either due to emergency or you cannot afford to have 2 people for the amount of business you can afford? In those cases do you prefer them not to open or do you prefer them open but take breaks?

1) Name and shame this shop.
2) So far I haven't seen a high end Korean restaurant in a town of 100k yet, maybe 500k and we will see one. I hope bagel would be better but it might be more popular in New England so maybe 100k is big enough?
Elizabethtown, KY has a nice Indian restaurant. I don't ever desire Indian food, but when at FT Knox I am often "dragged" here, and leave very satisfied every time. BTW- I have never tried a curry dish and don't plan to. At this E-town restaurant I usually focus on the bread and the yogurt marinated lamb chops.

E-town population about 30k. Not much population around E-town. No idea how the area supports a higher end Indian restaurant, but it does.

Elizabethtown, KY has a nice Indian restaurant. I don't ever desire Indian food, but when at FT Knox I am often "dragged" here, and leave very satisfied every time. BTW- I have never tried a curry dish and don't plan to. At this E-town restaurant I usually focus on the bread and the yogurt marinated lamb chops.

E-town population about 30k. Not much population around E-town. No idea how the area supports a higher end Indian restaurant, but it does.
I love Indian food. I'll eat any curry, unless it is super-spicy. If you are curious at all, try chicken tikka masala with some naan. While not a totally authentic Indian dish, it's the gateway to curry dishes. The spices in curry have many health benefits. Forget about the Indian donut balls, gulab something, nasty stuff.

Last edited:
It’s because people are to lazy to work. I would bet they have no one willing to work for them. It’s unbelievable, there are several places around here that can only open drive through being the have no staff.for you to say you may not return is just wrong in my opinion. But of coarse that’s just my opinion and I also do understand your frustration. But imagine their frustration, if it’s anything like it is around here your lucky there open at all.

It’s because people are too lazy to work. I would bet they have no one willing to work for them. It’s unbelievable, there are several places around here that can only open drive through being they have no staff. For you to say you may not return is just wrong in my opinion. But of course that’s just my opinion and I also do understand your frustration. But imagine their frustration, if it’s anything like it is around here you're lucky they're open at all.
How come it's always people are too lazy to work when it's really they're just not paying enough? It's basically whatever they're offering, it's not enough to get employees. You notice that there's no shortage of highly paid CEO's and upper level management right? But if there aren't enough workers, it's not because wages are too low, it's because they're too lazy. Right.

It’s because people are to lazy to work. I would bet they have no one willing to work for them. It’s unbelievable, there are several places around here that can only open drive through being the have no staff.for you to say you may not return is just wrong in my opinion. But of coarse that’s just my opinion and I also do understand your frustration. But imagine their frustration, if it’s anything like it is around here your lucky there open at all.
The low wages, poor working conditions, and lack job security are not worth the time spent to the perspective employees.

See my post #66 above.

chick-fil-a is starting at $16 for new hires by me full time.. they seem to get employees just fine.

Where do you hear lazy? the news of course.. dont be part of the spin. I am sure there were plenty that said why go back to work when I'm getting 800 on unemployment vs 400$ working.. but that is over.. OH since july. The new hires I have seen lately are really really bad. I mean even for someone's first job ever. I had to show someone 4x how to throw garbage in a trash compactor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back