The bellweather stock I will watch to see how the US and global economy is doing

Yes, if I bought a 12oz.
Please post the receipt for a black cup of coffee that you purchased at Starbucks for $3 USD or less out the door. My bounty for this is now raised up to $125 USD donated to BITOG in your name, receipt needs to be dated today and posted today.

I get my medium size hot coffee 5 days a week $2.70 from 7/11 with my 7/11 app every 7th cup free plus points I get a free cup I guess every couple of weeks with the points. Plus 7 cents off a gallon of gas I paid $2.98 a gallon on Friday

Please post the receipt for a black cup of coffee that you purchased at Starbucks for $3 USD or less out the door. My bounty for this is now raised up to $125 USD donated to BITOG in your name, receipt needs to be dated today and posted today.
If I need to go back and buy a 12oz I will. 😂

Man the guys I work with will hate me. I’m already on my second cup.

Reactions: GON
Some yes, but not in Chicagoland

Welcome to weirdos club, there are getting to be more and more of us :)
I live in a not so crazy area price wise. I'm in Chicago as much as a couple times a week, but in my work travels I don't have a close Starbucks in my usual path. It ends up being Dunkin since it's in walking distance to my hotel.

I guess they don't do receipts now. Didn't even offer me one. A Tall was $2.90 which still seems insane to me. I can definitely see if you're in an area that is a bit higher priced. It was a town of only 25k people if that shapes it. I still remember a Venti being like $2.30 at one point. I'm guessing that was 10 years ago with my memory. 😂

I guess they don't do receipts now. Didn't even offer me one. A Tall was $2.90 which still seems insane to me. I can definitely see if you're in an area that is a bit higher priced. It was a town of only 25k people if that shapes it. I still remember a Venti being like $2.30 at one point. I'm guessing that was 10 years ago with my memory. 😂
25k people? pretty big town, sounds like a city to me.

Pretty sure 10 years ago I was paying $1.95 for Starbucks. Been a long time though. I might be remembering pre great recession, we scaled back a lot of our spending around that time. But I thought I was still buying at that price even after that. Getting too old to remember those details (used to be one we'd stop at, next to a Quizno's, they had this sub that we really liked, now that was expensive--but boy was it good).

25k people? pretty big town, sounds like a city to me.

Pretty sure 10 years ago I was paying $1.95 for Starbucks. Been a long time though. I might be remembering pre great recession, we scaled back a lot of our spending around that time. But I thought I was still buying at that price even after that. Getting too old to remember those details (used to be one we'd stop at, next to a Quizno's, they had this sub that we really liked, now that was expensive--but boy was it good).
I mean considering where some live that's small. I live in a town of 16k people and grew up in one of 9k people. I've lived in areas with 6M, but I'm really not about the big city life.

I haven't heard the name Quiznos in a long time. I used to be hooked on the chicken carbonara. I haven't been in one in at least 8 years. I'm sure that's a $15 meal these days.

I mean considering where some live that's small. I live in a town of 16k people and grew up in one of 9k people. I've lived in areas with 6M, but I'm really not about the big city life.

I haven't heard the name Quiznos in a long time. I used to be hooked on the chicken carbonara. I haven't been in one in at least 8 years. I'm sure that's a $15 meal these days.
Yep that's the sandwich! we used to stop for that on the way home from my inlaws.

My parents got tired of the suburbs and moved us to Downeast Maine. Population 1,300. Surrounded by similar towns. I did college in the big city of Orono (well I lived in Old Town), my wife (from Danbury CT) laughs when I call the mall in Bangor "big". After marriage I settled into a town of 1,800 people but now live in a town that swells to 6k in the summer (more like 2k in the winter). If I have to deal with more than one traffic light per mile... that's pretty awful.

So I asked my kid what happens at *$ when someone orders a plain black, and that coffee deliberately gets queued like all the expensive ones. They don't want the yuppies ordering the mocha lattes to feel like second class citizens, to be not waited on (bypassed) by the simpleton who wants a normal coffee. So it really is all about the experience.

As far as retirement accounts, you don't have to save 10x or 5x or any arbitrary number. You just have to save more than someone less fortunate, with whom you'll be competing for resources over. There'll be fewer nurses, home health aides, landscapers, mechanics etc due to demographic changes. Set yourself up so you'll get them, someone else won't, and you're good enough! Notably, of course, governments can't do this for you, as they'll have to distribute any extra payments "fairly and equally."

So I asked my kid what happens at *$ when someone orders a plain black, and that coffee deliberately gets queued like all the expensive ones. They don't want the yuppies ordering the mocha lattes to feel like second class citizens, to be not waited on (bypassed) by the simpleton who wants a normal coffee. So it really is all about the experience.

What's wrong with waiting in the queue with everyone else?

always order medium roast venti. they fix it and turn around and hand it to me. never had a problem.

Huh? Teachers on the west coast retire with 6K$ pensions. Elementary. Teachers are not underpaid
We have teachers who make like 60-80k in a place where the cost of living is about 90k a year. I don't think they are overpaid and you can always find older boomers who retired with massive pension but younger ones enter with low pay in any field.

The problem is actually more of a budget being paid for by property tax. Education cost is higher per capita in low income school with neglectful parents but those area also have low property value per student (higher density lower cost property combination). You can't fix parenting, at least not with the same cost. In my school district we have like 8 elementary schools, same teachers rotation, greatschool scores go from 3 to 10 right across the street, same funding per student if not more for the lower school score ones.

As far as retirement accounts, you don't have to save 10x or 5x or any arbitrary number. You just have to save more than someone less fortunate, with whom you'll be competing for resources over. There'll be fewer nurses, home health aides, landscapers, mechanics etc due to demographic changes. Set yourself up so you'll get them, someone else won't, and you're good enough! Notably, of course, governments can't do this for you, as they'll have to distribute any extra payments "fairly and equally."
You can always retire outside of a high cost of living area, or nations. My retirement plan would probably be in a poor nation that I can live like a king even with US poverty level income.

Huh? Teachers on the west coast retire with 6K$ pensions. Elementary. Teachers are not underpaid
My wife is a retired elementary schoolteacher from California. You would need to teach 30plus years to get that kind of pension-just to be clear.
She doesn't get anywhere near that amount.

IMO the US pendulum is too far in the other direction. We used to have "noble professions"-- cops, mailmen, teachers. They were paid a middle wage and could afford to live in the communities they served. Now everyone's trying to squeeze the last nickel out of these guys and there are thousands of unfilled positions.

Watch some British TV... they're culturally proud of their institutions. Watch Seinfeld and we've got Newman. :unsure:
There's always some problem with either extreme. We aren't that bad compare to the Greek / Roman days when the univeristies have to specifically say "respect your professors, don't spit at them".

I think only some sort of dictatorship or single payer system would drives to pay good salary and keeping their employees' profession noble. In any market driven (i.e. local tax pays for and locals have to compete among each other like companies) and pay for system you will have deterioration in pay and prestiges. PG&E, water utility, police, mail, education, firefighting, etc, are all now cost driven instead of service driven. Not necessarily bad but you do have to find where to cut (sometimes quality) if you don't want to pay them.

My wife is a retired elementary schoolteacher from California. You would need to teach 30plus years to get that kind of pension-just to be clear.

35 years at my employer and I get pension over $5K.

Sometimes it pays to be a lifer at a big company and become institutionalized…..

⛓️

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
My SIL, retired in SoCal. 25 years. She shared a teaching position, lower grades. Over $6K retirement.

35 years at my employer and I get pension over $5K.

Sometimes it pays to be a lifer at a big company and become institutionalized…..

⛓️

Congrats! Of course many companies pension plans have gone the way of the Crown Vic....disappeared.

Back