Is GC ok for my application, and time frame q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm kinda new to the game here. I'm from the school of thought that "as long as its synthetic, its fine" and recently started researching different oils.

I just wanted to know if anyone could offer some advice on GC. I run it in a 2006 Cobalt with the LSJ engine. It is a high heat application, I put quite a few miles on it, and I only manage to close the boost bypass completely about once per day.

The engine is a 2l with a h-eaton blower
LOL.gif
making around 220bHP w/6,500redline right now but will soon be upped to ~310bHP w/7,200redline.

I use it as an A-B with an occasional spirited moment. Factory specs call for M1 5-30, but I read that GC was a great oil so immediately changed to it, will it suit my needs or do I need to move on up to Redline?

Also, should I change to a different oil for summer, or is GC/RL/whatever ok?

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like you're new to the game, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things
grin2.gif

GC is a fine oil, but Redline 10W-40 and 15W-50 oils are designed specifically for high heat applications. I doubt you need the 15W-50, but could benefit from the 10W-40.

Do you know what temp your oil runs at?

that GC will be fine to use all year round, I'd stick with it or use M1 or M1 EP...the Redline would be overkill but if you have the extra $$ and it makes you feel better go with it...

I agree, it'd fine fine all year long. It's probably one of the thickest 30 weight oils out there, it always comes back with good TBN, and is my personal favorite 30 weight for an application that will be putting an oil under stress.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

It doesn't sound like you're new to the game, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things
grin2.gif

GC is a fine oil, but Redline 10W-40 and 15W-50 oils are designed specifically for high heat applications. I doubt you need the 15W-50, but could benefit from the 10W-40.

Do you know what temp your oil runs at?

Not necessarily, but, intake temperatures sometimes hit mid-upper 100fs and EGTs are similar to a turbo car. I do know that the pistons are oil cooled with sprayers below them, if this would make a significant difference. Operating temperature is typically around 180f and gets up around 200f in the summer.

GC will work great.

If you do not mind spending the extra cash, Redline is a great choice aswell. I have used Redline. It performs well. I have yet to see Redline shear out of weight from heat or pressure.

I have to talk to you about your setup. My buddy has a 06 cobalt with the 2.2L. He wants to put on a supercharger. He has a header back exhaust, intake, 2.4L intake manifold, tune, 65 shot of No2.

When he is with me, I will shoot you a PM about what he is looking at.

What about M1 EP?

How would it compare to GC?

Would the rebates make it worth the few bucks saved to run 5w-30 EP this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back