Please help me find a good oil for my application

Well there just seem to be several good options.

1.Mobil 1 ESP 5w30
2. Pennzoil euro L 5w30
3. Pennzoil euro 5w30 a3/b4
4. Castrol edge euro 5w30 a3/b4

The last two being full saps so I know they are different than the euro L and the ESP.

Would my engine notice a difference between any of these? Are any of these better than the others?
No. Certifications determine a performance floor. You could run all 4 oils in separate engines for say 250k miles, and you would be hard-pressed to ever determine any statistically significant difference in any wear metric or performance measurement between the oils.

Reactions: hrv
No. Certifications determine a performance floor. You could run all 4 oils in separate engines for say 250k miles, and you would be hard-pressed to ever determine any statistically significant difference in any wear metric or performance measurement between the oils.
I believe the esp has the most certifications.
However all 4 meet some very tough certifications.

I’ve read up on the VW 504/507 spec that the esp has and it sounds like a very serious series of tests

There are many ford forums that are stating that it is a flat tappet
Even if they are “flat tappet” it’s not the same as an old school flat tappet Chevy small block or something like that. Yours would not need a high zinc oil, buuut zddp is good for more than a camshaft, it’s can be beneficial for other parts of an engine as well, like main bearing, valve stems,etc. although zddp may not be necessary, in my modern good engines “the ones that aren’t in some old beater” I like to use redline oil which has all the “good stuff”. I will say tho that I have had zero issues running pennzoil ultra platinum or any other “regular” oil when I have used them.

Another question for you guys about the oil filters. Ford specs threaded end bypass valves for their motorcraft filters.

My car does have the oil filter mounted with the base up in a vertical position so i can see why ford wants a threaded end bypass. However I want to use fram ultra filters, but they have dome end bypass.

Will it make much of a difference between threaded end vs dome end bypass?

Another question for you guys about the oil filters. Ford specs threaded end bypass valves for their motorcraft filters.

My car does have the oil filter mounted with the base up in a vertical position so i can see why ford wants a threaded end bypass. However I want to use fram ultra filters, but they have dome end bypass.

Will it make much of a difference between threaded end vs dome end bypass?
Nope

Now we drift and tide into oil filters and worries over bypass design.
1692565830529.png

OP on the hunt for the majick

Now we drift and tide into oil filters and worries over bypass design.
This is a forum to ask questions, no? That is why I signed up here. If it is not okay to ask question then i don’t even know why I joined.

This is a forum to ask questions, no? That is why I signed up here. If it is not okay to ask question then i don’t even know why I joined.
Why you joined is up to you. But if you’re changing topics mid-thread then start a new thread in the correct forum.

Why you joined is up to you. But if you’re changing topics mid-thread then start a new thread in the correct forum.
No this isn’t about the oil filter question. I’m asking why do all my questions bother you. This is what a forum is for. If you don’t like all the question than maybe you yourself shouldn’t have joined here either. Or you could have ignored my questions. Instead of being all arrogant and condescending.
Turns out I can’t even delete my account.
That’s crazy. But oh well. I just won’t post here anymore.

The one time I saw a car generating a catalyst efficiency code it was consuming in excess of 1 quart per 500 miles.
Thank you. I’ve seen you, overkill, and others mention before that the consumption has to be pretty drastic for it to make a difference.

Running M1 ESP now but may go back to 0W40 and not worry about my 1/2 quart consumption over my oci

No this isn’t about the oil filter question. I’m asking why do all my questions bother you. This is what a forum is for. If you don’t like all the question than maybe you yourself shouldn’t have joined here either. Or you could have ignored my questions. Instead of being all arrogant and condescending.
Probably before you ask multiple questions you can use the search engine and learn, do you job before asking. Than you can find that this question has an answer or 99% close to yours. I’m a little surprised that too many bittogers has the patience and time to spend, nice forum.

You may need thicker skin to be here; don't get discouraged. There's plenty of good info and good people here. It seems kschachn usually has good intentions; getting people to realize when they're making assumptions that could get them into trouble...

But in this case I do kinda agree with him; the filter question, regardless that it's for the same vehicle, belongs in the different subforum. No harm, no foul, you're new. All good. (y)

Well it did affect other things as well:

View attachment 174208
Oh I'm not discounting the damage that a poorly designed engine can generate. Trying to bring some reality of measurements to those who say "Oh I lost 1/4 of a quart over a 10k OCI, this oil is garbage" people.

What happened to that engine? Looks like significantly more than .06oz per mile; but then again I've never owned anything that used that much oil...

Oh I'm not discounting the damage that a poorly designed engine can generate. Trying to bring some reality of measurements to those who say "Oh I lost 1/4 of a quart over a 10k OCI, this oil is garbage" people.

What happened to that engine? Looks like significantly more than .06oz per mile; but then again I've never owned anything that used that much oil...
I don’t really know exactly how bad the consumption was. But I rebuilt the engine for the person, that’s a long story.

Back