Please help me find a good oil for my application

Hello everybody I am new here to the forum. But have read a lot on here prior to joining.

I have a modified 2017 ford focus ST.
It is a TGDI engine.

I am trying to find the best oil for my application.
Currently I am running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 API-SP (Resource Conserving).

Is this a good oil for my application?

I have read some threads on here stating to not use a resource conserving oil for high performance turbo charged applications. So I am curious about this because I thought Pennzoil ultra platinum was a very good oil, but it is labeled as resource conserving.

Any help from some of the knowledgeable members on here to help me find a good oil for my application would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Quaker state euro 5w-40 and m1 0w-40 are perfectly fine off the shelf oils. SP rated so they can't give lspi concerns in small tgdi engines.

So what is the downside to these resource conserving 5w30 oils? Is the PUP 5w30 okay to use for now? It is rated SP but it is labeled resource conserving. And I’ve heard some downsides to this for certain applications.

however, After I use up the PUP 5w30 I will probably switch to a 40 weight oil as I’ve seen these focus st engines shear a 30 weight oil down to a 20 weight fairly quickly.

So what is the downside to these resource conserving 5w30 oils? Is the PUP 5w30 okay to use for now? It is rated SP but it is labeled resource conserving. And I’ve heard some downsides to this for certain applications.

however, After I use up the PUP 5w30 I will probably switch to a 40 weight oil as I’ve seen these focus st engines shear a 30 weight oil down to a 20 weight fairly quickly.
Resource conserving means the oil has thinner base oils (lower HTHS) that protect your bearings and sliding parts. I agree with Javier, M1 FS 0w40 is a good start; if you want to stay in a 5w30 I would personally choose (here it comes, @TiGeo 🤣) HPL No VII 5w30. It’s what I’m running in my modified 3.5 EcoBoost with an E30 tune.

Resource conserving means the oil has thinner base oils (lower HTHS) that protect your bearings and sliding parts. I agree with Javier, M1 FS 0w40 is a good start; if you want to stay in a 5w30 I would personally choose (here it comes, @TiGeo 🤣) HPL No VII 5w30. It’s what I’m running in my modified 3.5 EcoBoost with an E30 tune.

Okay so basically while I’m using the 5w30 PUP just keep the OCI short and I should be good?

Okay so basically while I’m using the 5w30 PUP just keep the OCI short and I should be good?
I’m a PUP fan. However, the resource conserving oils are a little subpar. Your engine requires a specific level of protection even in stock form… WSS-M2C913-C. Neither PUP 5w20 nor 5w30 carry that specification (see pics below). However, since you’re modified, you’re likely exceeding the capabilities of those requirements anyways. It’s probably OK short term like you plan. How much boost are you running?

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2063.jpeg
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 21
I’m a PUP fan. However, the resource conserving oils are a little subpar. Your engine requires a specific level of protection even in stock form… WSS-M2C913-C. Neither PUP 5w20 nor 5w30 carry that specification (see pics below). However, since you’re modified, you’re likely exceeding the capabilities of those requirements anyways. It’s probably OK short term like you plan. How much boost are you running?
My manual states WSS-M2C946-A.
So it looks like the 5w30 meets all the requirements. However, they stopped making the focus ST in the U.S. in 2018. So ford might have some newer oil specs that would be better to follow, I’m not sure. But I will stick to a 3,000 miles OCI while using the PUP 5w30.

I’m running 23psi boost.

Last edited:
He’s already a grade heavier than “recommended” but with the modifications done, he may need even more protection based on how it’s being driven.

OP, any track days or drag racing involved?
It's more about what the mods bring. If someone goes out of their way to do these things to their car they're clearly gonna be flooring it frequently and sometimes just a minute or two after starting it which can cause more dilution than normal.

He’s already a grade heavier than “recommended” but with the modifications done, he may need even more protection based on how it’s being driven.

OP, any track days or drag racing involved?
The regular focus uses 20weight I believe. But the ST is 5w30 weight. So I’m still running the standard weight for the ST. But I will probably move to a 40 weight.

No track days or drag racing. Just spirited driving.

It's more about what the mods bring. If someone goes out of their way to do these things to their car they're clearly gonna be flooring it frequently and sometimes just a minute or two after starting it which can cause more dilution than normal.
I definitely floor it frequently lol. But not a min or two after starting the car. I always wait for my Cobb access port to show oil temps of at least 180 or so before flooring it.

But fuel dilution definitely happens on these TGDI engines. That’s one reason I like to run a short OCI.

QSFS Euro 5w40, M1 0w40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 would be my vote. If you have PUP 5w30 or a stash of it your idea of 3k mile oci is a good plan

The regular focus uses 20weight I believe. But the ST is 5w30 weight. So I’m still running the standard weight for the ST. But I will probably move to a 40 weight.

No track days or drag racing. Just spirited driving.
I figured as much, so Pennzoil has an error on their site because if you use the oil finder for the ST it recommends the 5w20s.

With a highly boosted, highly stressed 4, there’s nothing wrong with the 40 wt oils. That’s awesome, on the stock intake tubes my twin turbos max out just over 22psi. Will be interesting to see how much boost the AMS tubes and CV Fab Titan 2 add to that. Nice car!!

Sufficient HT/HS and oxidation resistance are your friend here. An oil with Porsche A40 approval is a good choice. More than one is available at Walmart for a very good price.

Post some pictures of this beast.
Mobil 1 0w40 Carrie’s the A40 approval.
I’d like to run this oil. But the only thing that has me concerned is that a thinner oil keeps the engine cooler from my understanding. And also the thinner oil reaches harder to reach areas better than a thicker oil. My car calls for a 5w30 weight oil. Mobil 1 0w40 is a thin 40 weight however.

Back