Is BITOG just a version of social media or is it something else?

The oxford dictionary says "websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

For me the key of it being social media is the bulk of the content is user generated, not owner generated. To me this qualifies. If it doesn't for you well that doesn't bother me at all either way, but keep posting, I need the entertainment.
If we go by that and the "OR" then sure, the first part applies. And true. But not social networking.

It's a web forum where naturally create and share. No problem. Cool. But not social networking! Hahahaha!

An online forum, in which people use a particular media to interact socially, is social media. The content of the social interactions is not what defines it as "social", nor does it separate this forum from the tens of thousands of others discussing hamsters, video games or operating systems; and the manner in which you interact with it does not change that it is "media".
An online forum is an online forum.. an exchange of ideas.

Dedicated social media platforms are for media and socializing.

Try again, please.

It was sad for me to watch bits and pieces of Nicoclubs die, I was super active on the various 240sx forums for many years. I just got rid of my 240sx convertible a year or so ago after driving it for two decades. Plus I had one for about four years back in the mid-90's right when they first came out. I kind of saw the birth and now the near-death, of that forum. Its kind of inevitable though, those cars are older and most are beat up and rusted by now, very few of them on the road at all anymore. The age group driving them got older, got married, had kids, moved on to more modern cars. Makes sense that a lot of these forums die. Its going to happen to BITOG as well. GASP..
Having had a 1989 S13 with a KA24E, one of my favorite cars. Blue, and I would buy another... I agree with all that you have said. But I cant see BITOG dying if we pass it on LOL...

I honestly believe a 1989 and 1990 S13 looked better than a 1991 and later DOHC S13, S14 and S15 (which Nissan I guess thought would do instead of a Skyline. I forget my history on that. The Z cars, IMHO, are inferior to Skylines but hey.)

If BITOG is a social media, then it's a pretty innocuous example.
It's a basic example, per the definition below that you posted. Just because it doesn't operatate like Face Book or similar social media sites doesn't mean it isn't social media.

++++++++++++++++
Social media are interactive media technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, interests, and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks.[1][2]
++++++++++++++++

And lacking one half - yes interactive, but not live, yes user content but not through all online interactions (ie reality based) - so marginally 50%
BUT not 3. and 4. below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Social media are interactive media technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, interests, and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks.[1][2] While challenges to the definition of social media arise[3][4] due to the variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available, there are some common features:[2]

1. Social media are interactive Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.[2][5]
  2. User-generated content—such as text posts or comments, digital photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions—is the lifeblood of social media.[2][5]
  3. Users create service-specific profiles for the website or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.[2][6]
  4. Social media helps the development of online social networks by connecting a user's profile with those of other individuals or groups.[2][6]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Funny thing I REALLY don't care that much. Other than I know how ominous and nasty social media can be to teens and society as whole. I don't think the increase in teen suicide and the huge increase in female suicide right after social media arrived is random noise.

If BITOG is a social media, then it's a pretty innocuous example.
@Pablo is correct, it is not quite social media.

100% a version of social media. The back and forth interaction by members in almost every post here on this forum is no different than the groups on FB and operates in a similar manner complete with moderation. I'm a mod in a VW group...believe me it's similar including rules that are managed. FB groups are the new forums right down to the bickering, snide remarks and drama I see here daily. I'd say by many responses here lots of BITOGERs don't participate on the other mainstream social media sites and have lots of pre-conceived notions that aren't reality (comments about pics of food etc or no moderation) . I use FB and IG...no Twitter or Tiktok. FB to me is about the groups which stems from my >20 years enjoying and using online forums. Some are very good and it's correct that while possible it's rare to see moderation and rules at the level you see here.

Last edited:
Is this just a version of the bigger social media platforms or is this site so narrowly focused that it is not social media but more of a product user’s forum?
BITOG is right-of-center social media.
Note the absence of uncomfortable topics like Scott Adams.
Now, lets see how quickly this post gets squelched...

It's so close to the FB groups right down to the DMs (PMs here) that fly when folks get mad at each other. FB groups are also searchable but not as well as typical forums. The anonymity is not present on FB so the member that got the rare ban hammer on the group I mod for just being out of control then comes at you personally which the mods here don't have to contend with requiring blocking and being v. careful with what is said in DMs as it essentially becomes a public affair.

BITOG is right-of-center social media.
Note the absence of uncomfortable topics like Scott Adams.
Now, lets see how quickly this post gets squelched...
No, there is no "right" or "left" on BITOG.

Political topics are moderated, as are religious topics. Refer to the rules of conduct to which everyone agreed.

Scott Adams has become political - so, no, we won't be discussing him.

If you think your post will be squelched, you need to review the rules on what is acceptable and what is not. Pretty clear that you have forgotten what is acceptable and what is not if you're complaining about the absence of political topics.

However, I will say, that I dislike whining about the rules of conduct and moderation to which everyone agreed when they signed up.

Agreeing to something, and then subsequently whining about that agreement is just that - whining.

100% a version of social media. The back and forth interaction by members in almost every post here on this forum is no different than the groups on FB and operates in a similar manner complete with moderation.
It's just hilarious that a lot of people here refuse to accept this. They proudly announce that "I don't have a Facebook" which tells me they have no accurate basis of what FB is or how it operates, so their opinion is next to worthless when they insist forums like this can't be like FB. 🙄

Food pic comments?

Those are just a few of the current (updated in the past 1-2 days) threads here.

Then there's the "What are you reading..." threads or "What are you listening to..." threads and so on.

FB (and other social media sites) exist, by their very nature to collect data on people and sell that data for $
FB is active in recruiting people to join others, make new friends.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
These are the two distinguishing characteristics of what I call "social media"

BITOG and other web forums (you name it, Tacomaworld, AKFiles, plasticwirenutchat.com, etc) just don't do that. Sure they both make money from ads, fine. But not seller user data and owning our images and such.

If you want to call the above "social media" you are free to do so, but these web forums are NOT social media companies.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I will also add, sure they all have rules, but it seems like most web forums have fairly straight forward interpretable rules. OTOH: FB posts up content warnings in the manner of fact checkers, really quite regardless if the facts are true or facts, actually - and they have very strange enforcement of said rules, depending on the skin color of content of the member. Some parties constantly threaten violence, and nothing comes of it. Another posts a gag meme that goes against the feelings of one person and bam, poster gets FB jail time. The real capriciousness of this came into the open with the Twitter files.

So to rebut NO - they are NOT 100% the same just because there is back and forth.

It's just hilarious that a lot of people here refuse to accept this. They proudly announce that "I don't have a Facebook" which tells me they have no accurate basis of what FB is or how it operates, so their opinion is next to worthless when they insist forums like this can't be like FB. 🙄
It's so funny isn't it? Same thoughts.

Back