Is BITOG just a version of social media or is it something else?

The Nicoclubs forums for a 1993 to 1997 model are similarly dead...
Just how many 93-97 Nissans are still on the road such that a forum dedicated to their upkeep is necessary? I see that for many ordinary cars long out of production and not particularly collectible. I've probably registered at more than 500 car forums since going online in the 90's. Some that had 50 posts a day 20 years ago may have one or two a week now, if they even still exist. Just a matter of natural attrition.

Just how many 93-97 Nissans are still on the road such that a forum dedicated to their upkeep is necessary? I see that for many ordinary cars long out of production and not particularly collectible. I've probably registered at more than 500 car forums since going online in the 90's. Some that had 50 posts a day 20 years ago may have one or two a week now, if they even still exist. Just a matter of natural attrition.
J30s.

There's one driving around my town...

It’s a forum. I visit it way more than anything like Facebook, Flickr, etc. I just wish we had a section designated for license plates, lol. That’s the main thing I follow on Facebook is License Plate Collection pages and license plate buy sell and trade pages and tool pages and keep up with school friends. This is a lot better than social media cause everything on here isn’t really related to stuff on those platforms. Like I don’t have to worry about clicking on BITOG and seeing a political post right off or anytime I should say whereas Facebook or twitter that’s hard to avoid. So it’s not social media but both social media and this forum or any forum has its advantages and disadvantages.

I always considered "social media" a place where girls post duck face pictures and their fave flavor lattes, or letting the world know which room they're in now. Kind've a haven for attention whores.

I'd say it's an old school form of Social Media.

There's nothing wrong with social media. Social media is what you make of it. Sure there's creepy things, annoying things, political things, etc. but only if you follow those things. Facebook only gives you pages you actually follow yourself or seeing friends you've added. There's some more ads now though. TikTok learns what videos you like and interact with, and give you similar content. I love TikTok and spend way too much time on it, but I enjoy it so who cares?

I say you can't judge something unless you've given it a fair chance. It isn't like being against crack-cocaine, we can all agree that isn't good stuff.

Social media isn't always bad. It can sure be overwhelming sometimes but really only if you keep looking at the bad things. Facebook lets me connect with buddies from bootcamp and it also led me to the local evo group, which has immensely influenced where I am now, socially, financially, and literally.

This is an internet message forum, not unlike any other out there on the internet. This model predates the platforms and services we now commonly refer to as "social media" but still fits every possible definition of the term.

From the perspective of a dinosaur who remembers when going "online" meant dialing into a BBS with a 300 baud modem. this sums it up best.

The WELL, Usenet, BBSes, Delphi, Compuserve, The Source, AOL, Mailing Lists, Web Forums (like this), weren't overtly "social" spaces, like MySpace or Facebook, blogs, etc. I never got into it, but the old time social hangouts occurred over IRC, facilitated by one-on-one chats and private messaging, as a precursor to AIM, and later, Skype.

Usenet was always a Wild West, increasing in severity depending on where one ventured among the thousands of groups. Reddit serves that role now, at least in the mainstream (not "dark web" sense), even down to the torturous UX that many hate.

I still draw the distinguishing line between whether people were primarily drawn to those sites for information, or interests, not as venues to show themselves off first and foremost, or make connections with others beyond sharing the common interests.

So for instance, I signed up here to learn about motor oil, not specificially to learn about how much hock AutoMechanic loves his local Snap-on truck, or the extent of Jeff's man crush on Elon Musk, to name a couple. They probably didn't sign up here to make those things known either, but they have shared those things, and thus, there is a social element involved.

Last edited:
The Nicoclubs forums for a 1993 to 1997 model are similarly dead...
It was sad for me to watch bits and pieces of Nicoclubs die, I was super active on the various 240sx forums for many years. I just got rid of my 240sx convertible a year or so ago after driving it for two decades. Plus I had one for about four years back in the mid-90's right when they first came out. I kind of saw the birth and now the near-death, of that forum. Its kind of inevitable though, those cars are older and most are beat up and rusted by now, very few of them on the road at all anymore. The age group driving them got older, got married, had kids, moved on to more modern cars. Makes sense that a lot of these forums die. Its going to happen to BITOG as well. GASP..

This thread 🤣🤣🤣
D4022775-A680-4769-B665-918C3DA4D7F8.gif

Your definition of Social Media will vary, this is technically an online forum with a social media-esque subforum.
An online forum, in which people use a particular media to interact socially, is social media. The content of the social interactions is not what defines it as "social", nor does it separate this forum from the tens of thousands of others discussing hamsters, video games or operating systems; and the manner in which you interact with it does not change that it is "media".

Back