Social media - like Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Aren’t Posting on Social Media as Much Anymore. Will We Ever?
Excessive ads, bots and misinformation have sucked the fun out of sharing publicly, users say.

The headlines from an article in WSJ.

If Facebook & Twitter, etc would just disappear tomorrow I don't think it would be a huge loss. I don't need to see a picture on FB of what entree you had for dinner. The spreading of misinformation has caused more issues than any benefit these sites provide. Email, text, CL to sell/but things and real newspaper web sites for the news.

Remember FB business model is to make money off my personal information.

Just spent a few minutes looking up 4Runner info, and the forums are stupid laggy, must be all the ads. Starting to get where I don’t want to surf the web anymore, too much junk.

youtube is getting to be the same, 200 channels and nothing on. Well, plenty of junk, and now commercials.

YouTube in particular has gotten filled with channels where posters are putting up content just trying to appease and attract subscribers.

I can think of one channel where the poster has accumulated some obvious long term personal debt and is now using YT as a cash generation method to pay for it. His channel use to have some very interesting content and now it has multiple videos each day of him doing "coffee chats" and what not which has become more of his "personal opinion" about anything and everything.

I am sure some of his followers are still interested in that sort of thing, but he has lost me as a viewer and subscriber.

had Facebook and the other garbage social media sites in my younger days... dumped it then brought back Facebook solely for the purpose of running a little handyman business, because get this they rather message you on Facebook then speak over a phone call or text message. had nothing to do with the age of my customers they just dont want to give out their phone numbers etc but they'll give their social security and credit card info over the phone to a scam caller. :eek::rolleyes:🤷‍♂️

ps Facebook and those customers are now out of my life once again and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
You need to use private browsing that fixes most of the issue.
Huh?
Private browsing basically clears cookies on session exit. It doesn't prevent fingerprinting based on unique bits of information about your hardware.
You need to use Firefox or Brave to resist fingerprinting. I prefer Firefox because it's built on Gecko engine which is inherently more secure and private than any other chromium-based browsers, the only exception is Brave. Firefox also plays nice with uBO (a content blocker) for a number of technical reasons. There's a lot to this, but being a browser geek myself, Firefox and uBO should be your main drivers in this nasty modern web. Brave is prefered for beginners or people who need something that just works.

I have multiple multiple members of my Family and close friends who have moved away and some far away that I no longer see or speak with them often as I would like. Facebook is convenient to see my Family and friends. Like anything else, keep it simple!!!

FB is fine. I can see what a lot of friends are up to without having calls or chats. X is funny to me as random people post stupid videos and rants to go viral.
It's up to you decide what is "misinformation" as it's created by everyone and everything these days. So be sure to use a variety of sources for your information before considering whether it's true or made up.

No social media presence but here. Don't know why anybody would want to read what I have to say elsewhere anyhow. My dopamine level is fine w/o followers.

FB is fine. I can see what a lot of friends are up to without having calls or chats. X is funny to me as random people post stupid videos and rants to go viral.
It's up to you decide what is "misinformation" as it's created by everyone and everything these days. So be sure to use a variety of sources for your information before considering whether it's true or made up.
I’m more concerned about the “no information” campaign …
(or distraction for a reason) …

Other than FBM, I have never used, nor shall ever use, social media.
(FBM became paramount when they usurped CL.)
Other than that I could not give two hoots about any social media platform.

Huh?
Private browsing basically clears cookies on session exit. It doesn't prevent fingerprinting based on unique bits of information about your hardware.
You need to use Firefox or Brave to resist fingerprinting. I prefer Firefox because it's built on Gecko engine which is inherently more secure and private than any other chromium-based browsers, the only exception is Brave. Firefox also plays nice with uBO (a content blocker) for a number of technical reasons. There's a lot to this, but being a browser geek myself, Firefox and uBO should be your main drivers in this nasty modern web. Brave is prefered for beginners or people who need something that just works.
Well said, being an APPLE user across all platforms your post made me do a quick search because I know they have anti tracking and 2 options to hide your IP address built in, then found this:

I have multiple multiple members of my Family and close friends who have moved away and some far away that I no longer see or speak with them often as I would like. Facebook is convenient to see my Family and friends. Like anything else, keep it simple!!!
you don't need Facebook to communicate with distant relatives and loved ones.. if its video chat you're after Apple has Facetime and Google has Google Duo which is now Google Meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back