Is BITOG just a version of social media or is it something else?

BITOG is a social lubricant. Now I feel icky.
IMG_9322.jpeg

In its beginning BITOG was a Technical Forum.
Tomato, tomahto.

Forum was just the term before the term social media…

From Merriam Webster:​

social media​

noun

: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)

forum​

noun

: a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas.

I mean… come on.

Social Media is full of inflated heads.
Describes this forum perfectly. At least here vs. FB there is a level of anaminity that drives the pompousness and passive-agressiveness etc. that is rampant where on other social media you may think twice with your pic and name for all to see before responding to folks like that.

Describes this forum perfectly. At least here vs. FB there is a level of anaminity that drives the pompousness and passive-agressiveness etc. that is rampant where on other social media you may think twice with your pic and name for all to see before responding to folks like that.
I honestly could care less about those kind of personal attacks. Want to tell me I'm ugly? Great, probably am. My wife isn't pretty enough for you? Great I'll be sure to tell her. Most people know better than to pick on children and when someone does make that mistake FB itself will drag that person pretty good.

If it boils down to personal attacks against me I've won the argument and will sleep with a smile on my face that night.

The problem with the term social media is some people (mostly the non-agreers) are adding their own connotation of what “social media” is to them. In reality this is absolutely by definition a social media (forum) platform. If we are going to truly call ourselves a scientifically minded community then individual perception/opinion of the term is irrelevant.

If anyone has a problem with that, I guess they can just go yell at clouds.

Last edited:
The problem with the term social media is some people (mostly the non-agreers) are adding their own connotation of what “social media” is to them. In reality this is absolutely by definition a social media (forum) platform. If we are going to truly call ourselves a scientifically minded community then individual perception/opinion of the term is irrelevant.

If anyone has a problem with that, I guess they can just go yell at clouds.
Exactly. They think "social media" = Facebook. Forums are a form of SM all day every day whether they like it or not...I think it's funny. Litterally pictures of what people are eating here with back/forth convos..hahahah

I honestly could care less about those kind of personal attacks. Want to tell me I'm ugly? Great, probably am. My wife isn't pretty enough for you? Great I'll be sure to tell her. Most people know better than to pick on children and when someone does make that mistake FB itself will drag that person pretty good.

If it boils down to personal attacks against me I've won the argument and will sleep with a smile on my face that night.
Sure, same, but it's a bit different when there is a name/face to it vs. here.

some people (mostly the non-agreers) are adding their own connotation of what “social media” is to them
They're just in denial. They've stated over and over how they are too good or too mature (or whatever the case may be) for social media so when people prove this site is social media and they're active, willing participants, they lose their "stuff".

They're not interested in posts showing what people are eating for dinner or other Facebook/Instagram-inspired posts. No, no, no, this is a technical forum..... about oil.....

😂

They're just in denial. They've stated over and over how they are too good or too mature (or whatever the case may be) for social media so when people prove this site is social media and they're active, willing participants, they lose their "stuff".

They're not interested in posts showing what people are eating for dinner or other Facebook/Instagram-inspired posts. No, no, no, this is a technical forum..... about oil.....

😂
Except for the entirety of the general/OT forum/subs.

Back