Is BITOG just a version of social media or is it something else?

I am proud of not ever being a member or user of any of the huge social media or content posting platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tictok, etc. I don’t even know what they look like since I have never gone to their web page or downloaded the associated apps. I don’t see the need for them and don’t feel I am missing anything by not following the herd. I still get and read a national daily newspaper (WSJ) delivered to my front door six days a week.

But I use this site and enjoy (most) of the discussions. Am I deceiving myself? Is this just a version of the bigger social media platforms or is this site so narrowly focused that it is not social media but more of a product user’s forum? Or are they the same thing?

For the members here who are users of social media sites, how is this site different and what feature overlap?

I am proud of not ever being a member or user of any of the huge social media or content posting platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tictok, etc. I don’t even know what they look like since I have never gone to their web page or downloaded the associated apps. I don’t see the need for them and don’t feel I am missing anything by not following the herd. I still get and read a national daily newspaper (WSJ) delivered to my front door six days a week.

But I use this site and enjoy (most) of the discussions. Am I deceiving myself? Is this just a version of the bigger social media platforms or is this site so narrowly focused that it is not social media but more of a product user’s forum? Or are they the same thing?

For the members here who are users of social media sites, how is this site different and what feature overlap?
I've asked myself the same thing.

It absolutely is social media.

Merriam-Webster Definition: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos).

It's very niche social media that started with oil and has expanded, but the core oil topic is what brings people here and then they see the other topics discussed. Because it is so niche, that is why the gross problems do not exist like they do with FB, YouTube, etc. FB, YouTube, etc also have added in algorithms to promote further engagement outside of why a person may have initially engaged with the platform for. AKA "The YouTube Rabbit Hole"

The only one that can answer your question is you yourself by trying the other sites. But as another has posted, it is a forum, message board.
This is not social media it's a strictly monitored forum to the categories presented in it.
There is a socal aspect of the forum as well for those participating to discuss other limited respectful discussions of everything else as long as it is void of politics, hate ect which is deleted.

Social media anything goes on any subject as long as it doesnt promote or contain a crime. There are no categories that you must stick too and everyone is free to create their own category or discussion.

Users in this forum do not create online communities or categories. Categories are set up by site administrators set up, monitor them and one must stay on the topic of those categories. There is one area of "Off Topic" but off topic still has rules such as arguing, politics ect is forbidden.

This makes BITOG a pretty unique site for users, looking for help on anything related to oils and lubricants. It also gives users a change to talk about other non defined subjects in a respectful manner and offers other useful categories for everyday life.

Last edited:
It is arguable - but I think the majority definition would consider an online forum (which is what this is) social media, though a somewhat primitive one.

And i avoid all that other stuff too except next-door because it does occasionally have useful goings ons for the hood.

As an online forum, it is a form of social media.

The fact its moderated and controlled doesn't change the fact it is driven entirely by the content the users come up with and generate. Neither does the fact that many may use it solely in an informational manner -one can say the same for literally any of the sites that concern seems to be expressed about - say facebook, twitter, nextdoor, etc...

Much to the dismay of many, yes, this site/forum is social media. People post their thoughts or ideas; others post their responses and opinions; people post pictures; share links to news stories, videos, etc; talk about their kids, pets, spouses, etc.

Forums are social media:

While the variety of evolving stand-alone and built-in social media services makes it challenging to define them,[2] marketing and social media experts broadly agree that social media includes the following 13 types:[29]

Looking at this thread, not including forums in the definition of social media is largely self serving. That is, the people who don't think it is social media believe this because they have a negative view of other forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok, etc.) and don't want to associate something they enjoy (BITOG) with something they disdain.

In all reality, it doesn't matter. If you don't want to be on Facebook, don't be on Facebook. You don't have to twist the definition of a forum to meet some self-imposed boycott of social media. Nobody cares.

Though I haven't looked, I have to believe there are groups on Facebook focused on the discussion of engine oil. I just checked: Of course there are.

The “General and Off Topic” forum is the social media arm of Bitog, ie…boxers or briefs…how much is a 25 year old washer and dryer worth…is moving a piano fun…how often do you wash your jeans………..? 🤫

Forums are social media:

Looking at this thread, not including forums in the definition of social media is largely self serving. That is, the people who don't think it is social media believe this because they have a negative view of other forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok, etc.) and don't want to associate something they enjoy (BITOG) with something they disdain.

In all reality, it doesn't matter. If you don't want to be on Facebook, don't be on Facebook. You don't have to twist the definition of a forum to meet some self-imposed boycott of social media. Nobody cares.

Though I haven't looked, I have to believe there are groups on Facebook focused on the discussion of engine oil. I just checked: Of course there are.
Yup. Was getting ready to post the Wiki page as well. Message forums are social media.

Back