1000HP Build - Amsoil Racing Oil - NOT A TEST. NOT A COMPARISON. Just and engine build

Not titled correctly: https://www.enginelabs.com/news/post-dyno-teardown-results-of-amsoils-1000-horsepower-ls-engine/

Just a visual thing. This is all I know. This is all that has been shared. Don't read too much into. Don't infer anything either way. Don't go all BITOG social media.

The most you can take away IMHO: Kind of a cool engine.

Agreed, @racer12306. It just blows me away at how much power can be had out of the LS engine, without serious reliability issues.

I found it interesting, but not surprising, that they had issues with controlling engine oil temperature. I would have liked it if they would have included more information on what methods had to be used to control it.

15W-50 oil, significant main bearing clearances, and minimal operating time. Detonation managed, it was likely to hold up.

At nearly 130HP per cylinder, the rod bearings (along with piston skirts) are very highly loaded, and it is no surprise they had some evidence of stress. Try King pmax kote Bearings next time.

I just think it’s awesome that Amsoil built this engine with the intent of thrashing it for research purposes. If they want some real-world miles, I’ll volunteer to swap this into my ‘07 Impreza and give Vaughn Gittin a run for his monkey.

Hopefully, since details were so sparse in the article, maybe Amsoil will have a full write up in the next quarterly product flyer. That would be sweet!

with deep pockets a pro shop can easily make a thou HP that can live driven daily + either big CUBES or FORCED induction is key with the proper parts!!

I just think it’s awesome that Amsoil built this engine with the intent of thrashing it for research purposes. If they want some real-world miles, I’ll volunteer to swap this into my ‘07 Impreza and give Vaughn Gittin a run for his monkey.

Hopefully, since details were so sparse in the article, maybe Amsoil will have a full write up in the next quarterly product flyer. That would be sweet!
They've been doing a lot more of that since they developed their mechanical engine lab facility.

Posts like this are a breath of a fresh air on BITOG. I like it. It's a 415ci LSX iron block which is a solid choice. At 1,022 hp, that's 2.46 hp/ci which is admirable. By comparison, NASCAR engines make ~2.37 hp/ci unrestricted. The difference being the engine in the article is easily streetable on 91 pump gas. Good choice of heads and blower and used out of the box too with no port work. Jesel shaft rockers, Dailey dry sump, JE forged pistons, Molnar billet crank... they didn't spare any money on this. Those parts are top shelf and expensive. It'll be dead reliable though. The billet crank is a bit overkill. A common forged crank would've been just fine.

Here's a question, do you need to have your own mechanical engine facility to really validate performance? Or can you get just as much valuable data via the additive supplier or through your own racing programs etc.?

Agreed, @racer12306. It just blows me away at how much power can be had out of the LS engine, without serious reliability issues.

I found it interesting, but not surprising, that they had issues with controlling engine oil temperature. I would have liked it if they would have included more information on what methods had to be used to control it.
And what Banks does with the DMax is amazing as well … and another Amsoil fan …

Nice work, good parts and predictable repeatable result.
The variable speed fuel pump vs a single speed return based pump is an interesting choice.
Not my fav way to make power (if I had to pick between a blown SB and a monster NA BB Id do the latter) but it got er dun for sure.

Overall - sweet.

OK I don't want to sound unappreciative, because i do appreciate the tear down and analysis.

That rotating assembly alone is probably north of 6000.00, the valve train is high dollar stuff, it's probably a $40,000.00 engine, maybe more. I would be sorely disappointed if it didn't look fine after 25 hours of dyno time.

Put it in a car or on a dyno that can vary ambient do cold starts and altitude changes (ex: the eco boost "torture test") and put 100,000 miles on it and show me how it looks.

Back