Neuralink's 1st human implant...

I agree, to help someone like Dr. Stephen Hawkin, or someone suffering with Parkinson's, Huntington's Disease or any of those other horrible disabling diseases is a God send for sure. Enhancing human performance could end up being something out of a horror movie, some real scary stuff for sure.
We still haven't worked out the consequences of birth control, TikTok, and the 10 yard offensive penalty rule on human society. Next we might have robot people? Are we going to eventually have Bill Belichick beaming plays directly into players' heads?

Last edited:
Here is an example of what could actually go wrong when someone is hyping unproven medical technology:

Say what? Are you trying to tell us there are people out there seeking only wealth and fame with total disregard to human life and wellbeing? No way! 🤣

Anyone heard of Theranos?

We still haven't worked out the consequences of birth control, TikTok, and the 10 yard offensive penalty rule on human society. Next we might have robot people? Are going to eventually have Bill Belichick beaming plays directly into players' heads?
+1 Imagine if they could hack Belichick's chip? It might have eliminated Deflategate............

One more step closer to my Cyberpunk fantasies…
IMG_9500.jpeg

A company called Second Sight implanted chips and retinal implants (called Argus) into blind patients some years ago. Some patients regained some sight but were left hanging out to dry when the company dissolved in 2020 and stopped providing support for the hardware and could no longer provide medically needed advice regarding the implants. There was a patient who required an MRI but it could not be done because nobody could be found who knew if this was safe.

A company called Second Sight implanted chips and retinal implants (called Argus) into blind patients some years ago. Some patients regained some sight but were left hanging out to dry when the company dissolved in 2020 and stopped providing support for the hardware and could no longer provide medically needed advice regarding the implants. There was a patient who required an MRI but it could not be done because nobody could be found who knew if this was safe.
Speaking of which, it could in theory happens to any medical equipment when one company goes out of business. What happen to people with pace maker? breast implant? etc? That doesn't mean these technologies are bad but they should have enough info to open up when they do go under so others (i.e. another surgeon or former employee) could help patients get replacement elsewhere.

I love the idea of being able to improve/heal certain disabilities. I wish I believed that was the ultimate goal of this technology.

The WEF has had some "interesting" presentations of this type of tech. One example showed a worker being monitored. Her brain waves were analyzed showing negative thought patterns. Her work was then suffering as a result, the employee was then "corrected" into staying on task by their supervisor.

How far off is this possibility? Hard to say, but just like any tech that has potential great benefits, it will have opposite intentions as well.

Speaking of which, it could in theory happens to any medical equipment when one company goes out of business. What happen to people with pace maker? breast implant? etc? That doesn't mean these technologies are bad but they should have enough info to open up when they do go under so others (i.e. another surgeon or former employee) could help patients get replacement elsewhere.
You are comparing cutting-edge experimental almost one-off hardware and procedures with established and commonly used medical devices that exist in an ecosystem that includes a number of experts, many resources, and alternative manufacturers, and procedures.

Last edited:
We still haven't worked out the consequences of birth control

We know the "consequences" of birth control, i.e. safety and efficacy.

However, suppose you are a politician trying to ban it. it is no longer socially acceptable to say you want to ban it because you consider it personally immoral. What else can you do to get it banned though? You can start questioning the safety.

We know the "consequences" of birth control, i.e. safety and efficacy.

However, suppose you are a politician trying to ban it. it is no longer socially acceptable to say you want to ban it because you consider it personally immoral. What else can you do to get it banned though? You can start questioning the safety.
I don't hear anyone calling for banning birth control or saying it's a risk to health. I certainly am not... but if you do not recognize the monumental changes it's had on society, then you might want to think more deeply and honestly about it. Those changes are not all bad, but they are certainly not all good, either.

Back