Is BITOG just a version of social media or is it something else?

Now days you can not bother knowing your neighbors and just hang out on Facebook, and hate anyone that doesn't agree with you. You see this now with Twitter. "Letting people I don't like talk, I will abandons twitter" This just shows the lack of intelligence on the part of those not even remotely interested in different opinions.

In the old days you had to go out and talk to your neighbors. If you disagreed with your neighbor that was OK, you were still friends and helped them. On BITOG its sort of the same - you can agree or disagree but still have a discussion. Its still social media, but they maintain the "social" part.

Elsewhere if you disagree at all with the groupthink you generally get banned or driven off.

Now days you can not bother knowing your neighbors and just hang out on Facebook, and hate anyone that doesn't agree with you. You see this now with Twitter. "Letting people I don't like talk, I will abandons twitter" This just shows the lack of intelligence on the part of those not even remotely interested in different opinions.

In the old days you had to go out and talk to your neighbors. If you disagreed with your neighbor that was OK, you were still friends and helped them. On BITOG its sort of the same - you can agree or disagree but still have a discussion. Its still social media, but they maintain the "social" part.

Elsewhere if you disagree at all with the groupthink you generally get banned or driven off.
You just nailed it.

BITOG does not hound you like FB

There is no matching or otherwise intrusive algorithm
There are a million ways one can differentiate [some given thing] from [some other given thing]. Every social media platform has its own pluses and minuses and features and functions. They're still all social media.

(And the ads you see on BITOG come from the exact same creepy algorithms used elsewhere. Cookies and the use of 3rd-party API's allows for tracking across sites.)

There are a million ways one can differentiate [some given thing] from [some other given thing]. Every social media platform has its own pluses and minuses and features and functions. They're still all social media.

(And the ads you see on BITOG come from the exact same creepy algorithms used elsewhere. Cookies and the use of 3rd-party API's allows for tracking across sites.)
Sure and the lines are blurry but still most forums don’t have FB creeper suggested friends and such

The primary purpose of hobby type forums is not to get into someone’s skivs

In the old days you had to go out and talk to your neighbors. If you disagreed with your neighbor that was OK, you were still friends and helped them.
I've seen plenty of neighbors shun and bad mouth each other because of disagreements. Wars can be started over disagreements. But these aren't the "good old days". 😞 But yeah, BITOG is relatively civil, and the Mods keep the chaos in check. Every chat board turns into a complete fight club without moderation.

It isn't social media. It is social media. All good. Except those dumb Tesla posts. They're not good and you-know-who is whack.
Hopefully this satisfies the masses on this social media not social media website.

Just trying to take the edge off. All good.

In case anyone missed that 😉
The essence is not true though. Sure the easily blockable ads (I never see them) come this way. But that is just about any site on the web and most not social media sites.

BITOG doesn’t send you friend requests based on who you associate with or your content posted

BITOG doesn’t suggest groups for you

BITOG doesn’t send your information to others for $

To me this is the key differentiator. BITOG is not about human data harvesting and control. FB, Snapchat, etc are.

Last edited:
BITOG doesn’t send you friend requests based on who you associate with or your content posted
BITOG doesn’t suggest groups for you
BITOG doesn’t send your information to others for $
To me this is the key differentiator. BITOG is not about human data harvesting and control. FB, Snapchat, etc are.
Those things alone don't define what social media is. You're just picking things that fit your definition or belief. The commonly accepted definition says otherwise.

Ok what exactly is that definition?
The oxford dictionary says "websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

For me the key of it being social media is the bulk of the content is user generated, not owner generated. To me this qualifies. If it doesn't for you well that doesn't bother me at all either way, but keep posting, I need the entertainment.

People have posted multiple sources of definitions of it already in this thread, but.... https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=what+is+social+media
And lacking one half - yes interactive, but not live, yes user content but not through all online interactions (ie reality based) - so marginally 50%
BUT not 3. and 4. below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Social media are interactive media technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, interests, and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks.[1][2] While challenges to the definition of social media arise[3][4] due to the variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available, there are some common features:[2]

1. Social media are interactive Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.[2][5]
  2. User-generated content—such as text posts or comments, digital photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions—is the lifeblood of social media.[2][5]
  3. Users create service-specific profiles for the website or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.[2][6]
  4. Social media helps the development of online social networks by connecting a user's profile with those of other individuals or groups.[2][6]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Funny thing I REALLY don't care that much. Other than I know how ominous and nasty social media can be to teens and society as whole. I don't think the increase in teen suicide and the huge increase in female suicide right after social media arrived is random noise.

If BITOG is a social media, then it's a pretty innocuous example.

Back