IPhone to Android

Good.

That's been needed for years. Is the update process still clumsy or are they direct from Google?
They just come as an ota. If it's a pixel, it should come straight from Google, Samsung's if through your carrier would still have to go through your carrier but it's not delayed a great time or cancelled altogether like it always used to be.

They just come as an ota. If it's a pixel, it should come straight from Google, Samsung's if through your carrier would still have to go through your carrier but it's not delayed a great time or cancelled altogether like it always used to be.

I just get a notification that my Samsung needs an update and I apply it. No big deal.

The Android update thing is way overblown, many apps that are included in an OS upgrade for iOS are updated separately with Android. Apple pushes a full OS upgrade for things like iMessage and Safari which are updated individually through the Google Play Store with Android.

I just get a notification that my Samsung needs an update and I apply it. No big deal.
It still works that way but because carriers apply their bloatware to Android phones they control the updates. It’s kind of annoying. I had the same thing with my last OnePlus phone and it was always a year behind unlocked OnePlus phones.

The Android update thing is way overblown, many apps that are included in an OS upgrade for iOS are updated separately with Android. Apple pushes a full OS upgrade for things like iMessage and Safari which are updated individually through the Google Play Store with Android.
I wouldn’t say way overblown. It’s the actual base system upgrades that would leave me behind. I would also use Google Messages instead of the stock installed messaging because otherwise I wouldn’t have had RCS messaging. Now most Android phones use Google Messaging as standard which is a much better standard.

I wouldn’t say way overblown. It’s the actual base system upgrades that would leave me behind. I would also use Google Messages instead of the stock installed messaging because otherwise I wouldn’t have had RCS messaging. Now most Android phones use Google Messaging as standard which is a much better standard.
I've been using RCS on Google messaging for years now and lately I'm noticing a lot more people I have to message have RCS on their phone. It's nice because you can send pictures and videos over text without having to use some other alternative like FB messenger, WhatsApp or email to send it. It's kind of 50/50 android/iPhone with the people I work with/deal with.
From what I've seen with my young nieces somehow apple has convinced kids that people who use android are second rate citizens so kids are embarrassed to not have an iPhone. People are deciding based on what other people are thinking of them.

LOL. Literally nobody cares about RCS except Google. Apple has Messages, Meta Facebook has their chat apps, WhatsApp and Messenger. Users who don't want to particpate in their data hoovering machine have the option of Signal, Telegram, and others. Asian users rely on LINE, WeChat, etc. There is no shortage of cross-platform messaging methods, with modern features, security, and at no upfront cost.

The carriers came up with RCS in 2008, to replace SMS, but allowed it to languish for at least a decade, and even they don't really care about it.

Google, having killed one messaging effort after another, adopted RCS as the basis for their "one, true, final, really, this is it" messaging service in 2019, their ninth attempt. The carriers then pretended to care, and started CCMI to promote it, but killed that effort in 2021 after realizing the harsh truth that they lost they messaging war a long time ago, and since there was no money to be made, there was no point. The days of fleecing users per text message were long gone.

E2E was never integral, or even a requirement for RCS, and Google only added it, to their own app, for 1:1 chats in 2021. Encrypted group chats didn't become a thing until the end of last year.

And because it's a carrier standard, it relies on the paradigm of user IDs centered on phone numbers, singular devices (your phone), when people have moved onto other portable forms of ID that don't have the albatross of carrier strings, as well as multiple devices long ago.

Nothing wrong with a NOS Crown Vic, customized with all mod cons, and an EV powertrain retrofit, but it's not going to appeal to the broader audience.

Google's PR campaign reeks of desperation, and the only people it might convince has merit are technophobe regulators who might try to force it as some sort of standard. But the market (users) spoke, everyone else moved on long ago, so there is nothing to "fix."

It's become more evident than ever that Google is a three-trick pony -- Search, Maps, and Gmail, that feed its real business, advertising. And wtih one of those pillars being seriously threatened by the new AI-based tools, it rushed out Bard, in a less than flattering manner. Otherwise, their wall is mostly white, and very slick, with the adjacent floor space littered with carcasses.

Having a dominant position is a good thing, but it's also an easy path to lost focus, and complacency. Ask Intel.

LOL. Literally nobody cares about RCS except Google. Apple has Messages, Meta Facebook has their chat apps, WhatsApp and Messenger. Users who don't want to particpate in their data hoovering machine have the option of Signal, Telegram, and others. Asian users rely on LINE, WeChat, etc. There is no shortage of cross-platform messaging methods, with modern features, security, and at no upfront cost.

The carriers came up with RCS in 2008, to replace SMS, but allowed it to languish for at least a decade, and even they don't really care about it.

Google, having killed one messaging effort after another, adopted RCS as the basis for their "one, true, final, really, this is it" messaging service in 2019, their ninth attempt. The carriers then pretended to care, and started CCMI to promote it, but killed that effort in 2021 after realizing the harsh truth that they lost they messaging war a long time ago, and since there was no money to be made, there was no point. The days of fleecing users per text message were long gone.

E2E was never integral, or even a requirement for RCS, and Google only added it, to their own app, for 1:1 chats in 2021. Encrypted group chats didn't become a thing until the end of last year.

And because it's a carrier standard, it relies on the paradigm of user IDs centered on phone numbers, singular devices (your phone), when people have moved onto other portable forms of ID that don't have the albatross of carrier strings, as well as multiple devices long ago.

Nothing wrong with a NOS Crown Vic, customized with all mod cons, and an EV powertrain retrofit, but it's not going to appeal to the broader audience.

Google's PR campaign reeks of desperation, and the only people it might convince has merit are technophobe regulators who might try to force it as some sort of standard. But the market (users) spoke, everyone else moved on long ago, so there is nothing to "fix."

It's become more evident than ever that Google is a three-trick pony -- Search, Maps, and Gmail, that feed its real business, advertising. And wtih one of those pillars being seriously threatened by the new AI-based tools, it rushed out Bard, in a less than flattering manner. Otherwise, their wall is mostly white, and very slick, with the adjacent floor space littered with carcasses.

Having a dominant position is a good thing, but it's also an easy path to lost focus, and complacency. Ask Intel.

Android has three times the market share of Apple.

800 million monthly users are using RCS worldwide. That number is expected to surpass 1 billion by the end of 2023.

RCS is the standard that has evolved from SMS/MMS.

Some things never change

IMG_2264.jpeg

Android has three times the market share of Apple.

800 million monthly users are using RCS worldwide. That number is expected to surpass 1 billion by the end of 2023.

RCS is the standard that has evolved from SMS/MMS.

Globally =

Safe to say, being Apple as a premium product compared to less expensive phones will have a higher clientele base and in many cases one can speculate security and function is important to them. This thinking is indisputable as far as I am concerned.

PS @Carmudgeon - I agree

Last edited:
Long time Android user here and currently am on an S21 Ultra. I tried the iPhone 12 pro Max but I hated it and went right back to Samsung. I really like having a home button, a recently opened tabs button, and a back button readily accessible at all times.

As far as messaging, everyone I care about we all use Signal Messenger. I have no problem video chatting with anyone or sending videos or photos.
One of the things I like best about my camera is the ability to zoom. All you Apple fan boys, I would like to see you zoom to the moon and take a photo like this.
20220415_201805.jpg

Long time Android user here and currently am on an S21 Ultra. I tried the iPhone 12 pro Max but I hated it and went right back to Samsung. I really like having a home button, a recently opened tabs button, and a back button readily accessible at all times.

As far as messaging, everyone I care about we all use Signal Messenger. I have no problem video chatting with anyone or sending videos or photos.
One of the things I like best about my camera is the ability to zoom. All you Apple fan boys, I would like to see you zoom to the moon and take a photo like this.
View attachment 163445
We all buy what works for us (if we know what we are buying) IF you're a Samsung fanboy that is fine too. Both priced around the same price, pick and choose, keeping in mind its also Android vs Apple iOs
I honestly dont think the moon shot is flattering and I shouldn't expect it to be from a cell phone. Only so much can be done with a tiny image sensor.

Below compares actual snapshots of 3 cell cameras/

BTW, not discounting any phone, we all choose what we like.

Last edited:
We all buy what works for us (if we know what we are buying) IF you're a Samsung fanboy that is fine too. Both priced around the same price, pick and choose, keeping in mind its also Android vs Apple iOs
I honestly dont think the moon shot is flattering and I shouldn't expect it to be from a cell phone. Only so much can be done with a tiny image sensor.

Below compares actual snapshots of 3 cell cameras/

BTW, not discounting any phone, we all choose what we like.
This 100%. I've never stuck with one operating system, I go in waves. I would say I prefer Apple, but even with transitioning back to an iPhone it still feels a hit awkward just because I was used to the mannerisms of Android for the last 2 years.

There are some divisive opinions on what's better, but they have much more in common than they differ in operation.

View attachment 163445
They’re faking it. It’s amazing technology crammed into the palm of your hand however.

They’re faking it. It’s amazing technology crammed into the palm of your hand however.

It's like my old man used to tell me about fake breasts, If you can grab them then they're real. All I did was just zoom into the moon and take the photo.

All I did was just zoom into the moon and take the photo.
You really should read the article linked. The phone recognizes that you're taking a picture of the Moon and then adds details that are known to exist on the Moon that the camera can't actually see.

You really should read the article linked. The phone recognizes that you're taking a picture of the Moon and then adds details that are known to exist on the Moon that the camera can't see.
Yes I know it's computational photography and AI. I don't care how it's done. I'm sure you're an Apple fanboy though.

Yes I know it's computational photography and AI. I don't care how it's done. I'm sure you're an Apple fanboy though.
That last part was necessary. 🙄

I'm assuming you took that as bashing. It's just true. I don't know what was pro Apple in it from what I read. It's also not a negative comment about Samsung as far as I can tell.

Back