IPhone to Android

I've always had Androids and heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, e.g., 200GB storage plan, YouTube Premium, have around 6000 songs/180 GB uploaded to YouTube music (fka Google Play Music), lots of personal files uploaded to Google Drive, multiple Google smart speakers around the house, Gmail user since it was first introduced and etc, etc, yada, yada. We are about as Google as could possibly be around our household.

I'm also a person who always used to root all their Androids and run custom roms, until the last maybe 4-5 years, they are so much faster now that it seems unnecessary, plus, it's harder to find a phone with a really long lasting development community. And the vendors are offering londer software support these days. I still run a custom launcher though.

I've also had multiple work iPhones, until very recently I've probably been carrying one along with my personal for at least 10 years. So I know my way around iOS pretty well, as well.

About maybe 7ish years ago, I thought, well I'm going to try to use an iPhone as my personal, because I have an Apple Watch that is hooked to my work phone. And all the Google apps are availalbe on iOS, why not? IT WAS A TOTAL DISASTER. There was a large gulf between the way I used my personal device and my work iPhone device, and when I tried to use Google everything on the iPhone, it made me crazy. It only lasted about two months and I was so fed up that I dumped it for another Android.

I'm thinking about maybe giving it another go, couple of reasons:
One, the place I am now working since August 2022 only issues iOS devices to management and I quit my management job at my prior place so I could come over here and be more technical again, so I have to use my personal phone with their MDM control software. I have tried to tell them to stick it in their ear but the reality is, I need access to work stuff on my phone when I am remote. Unfortunately, the work stuff that is now on my phone works SUPER AWFUL with Android. So clunky. Maybe it is just the phone that I have, a Samsung S21FE, but man, using the work apps works really bad on this phone. The worst part of it is the re-authentications. Literally if I tried to work on my phone for 2 or 3 hours, on Teams and Outlook, it would ask me to re-authenticate 20-30 times. And it seems like the certificate for the MDM is getting broken every few days. And then it complains about cutting off my access, and not pushing email, and so forth. There may be things the MDM monkeys at work are setting to break it this bad. Not sure. But it's a real problem when I am on call, if the MDM stops working and I don't get alerts, I will not wake up in the middle of the night to respond to urgent alerts.

Two, it seems that the Google integration is better on iOS than it ws a few years back, I usually kept one or two of my Google apps on my work phone like Google Voice and it seems like you can now use Google Voice as your primary dialer, which was not the case the last time I used an iPhone as my personal.

Three, I've spent a lot more time with iOS in the 7-8 years since I last tried it as my personal. I'm sure it would still drive me nuts to some degree, but if my work stuff was better, that would be a huge, huge win.

Wait we were talking about switching platforms? lol. It is easy if you save all your data in the cloud. It will usually pick up all your apps too. Learning the menus and so forth if you don't already know it, that's on you.

so I have to use my personal phone with their MDM control software.

I would never use my personal phone for work (other than running slack and receiving/sending texts and phone calls), especially if it's running an app that gives them the ability to remotely wipe my phone.

I would never use my personal phone for work (other than running slack and receiving/sending texts and phone calls), especially if it's running an app that gives them the ability to remotely wipe my phone.

That's fine, you do you, and I am doing me.

I received a huge raise to take this job, but this was one of the downsides. I have judged it to be acceptable because of the salary increase. I'm not looking to get second guessed here or debate the relative merits of work MDM software, I've actually been the person that ran MDM software at some of my past stops and I know all the ins and outs of it. It is what it is and it's my decision.

I am expected to be on call once every 7 weeks as a part of being one of the FTE's on the SOC (Security Operations Center) team and providing my own device is part of the deal. Additionally I do monitor work apps when I am out and about town as part of generally staying on top of things. I don't love it that I'm not provided an additional device and think the cost of an iOS device is relatively minimal compared to the received salary increase, but whatever. They're paying me to play along so I'm doing so. Weird rigid policies is just part and parcel with working in an extremely large organization, I've discovered. Most of my experience in the past 20 years has been in small orgs but I did have some experiences working at large places in the 90s. Just re-acclimating to it.

Regarding data wipes, I have all my personal data backed up in the cloud so even if they had to remote wipe it, it would be no big deal to me. Work does not have the ability to wipe my personal cloud backups. They can wipe one of my access devices, that's it. It might take me a couple of hours max to get my phone back the way it was before. Worth it to me.

FWIW I went out on a limb too. My department head was willing to get me the phone. But I held out for everyone on the team to get them. Well, nobody on the team got them in the end because of the aforementioned stupid ridgid policies. That's ok though, I didn't want to be "that special guy" or the "boss' pet" either, being the only one who got a phone. Maybe if I make it 3 or 4 years here, then I'll go back and get the phone, but then it will be because I am the most senior guy, or close to it. This place has a lot of turnover. But anyway....

I'm on the road and have a Teams call. Great, I'll take it from my iPhone..."it just works!" :rolleyes:

What does Waiting.... mean? Could they be less descriptive?

lpm1rJ7.jpg

Another iPhone annoyance, keep in mind this is my work phone. I get an obvious spam picture and iPhone asks me if I want to report it as junk when I delete it, great! Well the number doesn't get blocked as spam as it does on Android. So I get another message from the same number and it takes a dozen other taps to actually block the number. "it just works!"

ETmgcOM.png

Another iPhone annoyance, keep in mind this is my work phone. I get an obvious spam picture and iPhone asks me if I want to report it as junk when I delete it, great! Well the number doesn't get blocked as spam as it does on Android. So I get another message from the same number and it takes a dozen other taps to actually block the number. "it just works!"

ETmgcOM.png
The number blocking feature for calls and texts works flawlessly on my LG Velvet.

I wish LG never quit making phones. They were giving us features everyone else was taking away, like headphone jack, micro SD slot, etc. Dual display for my phone can turn it into a foldable only when you want it. Has screen+ similar to dex.

I thought they were garbage phones with lots of hidden issues. The G4 had known boot loop issues and you'd still have to pay your device insurance deductible to get a refurbished one, which ends up doing the same thing. G5 had GPS issues and my specific G6 stopped vibrating a month after I got it. Also received updates maybe once a year.

I thought they were garbage phones with lots of hidden issues. The G4 had known boot loop issues and you'd still have to pay your device insurance deductible to get a refurbished one, which ends up doing the same thing. G5 had GPS issues and my specific G6 stopped vibrating a month after I got it. Also received updates maybe once a year.
G4 and many others around that generation were the reason they had to step up later on and upgraded to the 2 year warranty. The v30 and later and g7 and later seemed to have much fewer issues and even after they stopped selling phones they were giving regular software updates.

G4 and many others around that generation were the reason they had to step up later on and upgraded to the 2 year warranty. The v30 and later and g7 and later seemed to have much fewer issues and even after they stopped selling phones they were giving regular software updates.
V30, G7 and the Velvet 5g are all excellent phones. The camera on the V30 crushes iPhone camera.

Been there, done that. iphone is more intuitive!
It's not, for someone who's almost always used Android. Same with Windows, or Linux, both of which I use everyday. I can't find stuff on MacOS. It would take me a while to reacclimate on any OSX variant. Back before the OSX days I actually supported a production art shop using Macs so I was pretty fluent back then, but that's been 25 years now.

ETmgcOM.png
Oh come on, :ROFLMAO:

Just click the number at the top, Edit, then Block.

My iphone fell off my motorcycle and was run over by a truck.
1694457273170.png

I had the screen replaced and it's just fine. Probably just an anomaly but this former android guy is impressed.

Last edited:
Greetings All-
I'm getting fed up with Apple iPhone cost. Allegedly, the soon to be released 15 will cost $200 more. I'm thinking of getting an android based device like Motorola or Pixel. Is it difficult to transfer photos, use Facetime, etc? Apple is great- no bloatware, secure, long term OS upgrades and security updates and it always works. But $1200-$1500?
Guess what your rant is off……

No price increase on 15 and 15 pro …..

Moreover the iPhone 15 apparently cheapest iPhone in years adjusted for inflation. That surprised me.

Last edited:
Greetings All-
I'm getting fed up with Apple iPhone cost. Allegedly, the soon to be released 15 will cost $200 more. I'm thinking of getting an android based device like Motorola or Pixel. Is it difficult to transfer photos, use Facetime, etc? Apple is great- no bloatware, secure, long term OS upgrades and security updates and it always works. But $1200-$1500?
There are a lot of iPhone models that cost much less. I’m not sure picking the biggest latest is the best option if you’re money conscious in this area. I’m not sure the 15 is a huge step over the 14pro.

My iphone fell off my motorcycle and was run over by a truck.
View attachment 177989
I had the screen replaced and it's just fine. Probably just an anomaly but this former android guy is impressed.
That happened to me years ago. Left my iPhone on the roof of my car. Realized a few minutes later that I lost it and remembered what I did. Found it I. The street, lit up because I was calling it. Wouldn’t you know as soon as I stopped and exited the car I saw a car drive directly over it. Bump bump.

Still worked fine. Replaced it of course but a car literally ran over it doing 25.

Add $200 to that cost for the coming i15, so they say

i15 will be no more than $899 I dont know where you are coming up with these numbers

It was on the news...$200 more over the current models
AS you can see, there was no $200 price increase, in fact the prices are the same and didnt go up at all.
The new iPhone 15 is the same price as the 14 was and the 13 before that.

I see @andrew_j posted much the same response that there is no iPhone price increase. I too am surprised, I expected at least a small increase but nothing on the scale of what some were saying.
The iPhone compared to its competition is starting to look mid price range *LOL* for a top, top, tier phone. Sure you have options but I am starting to believe nothing comes close to performance price anymore. Especially since you can buy a fully supported earlier version 12,13, or 14 direct from APPLE at even more discounted price than the $799 for the newest iPhone 15.

Last edited:
Back