Android to iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
After almost 6 years, I'm about to make the jump. I've been getting more and more fed up with what seems to be Android related issues. I don't have the newest phone, but when it was release, it was a decent phone, Nexus 6. Even today, the specs aren't bad on it.

I currently have an iPad Air 2 and like it. I used to have an iPhone 3GS and 4S for a work phone but never explored the OS on those iPhones as much because it wasn't my phone.

Good news for me is, my wife is also due for a phone upgrade, so I'll get her iPhone 6 while she get's a new one. I'll get to trial out the smaller screen and the different OS all in one shot. At least I'll be able to compare similar generations of phones and it's not like I'll be getting a 2017 model and comparing it to a 2015 model.

Current Devices to show I don't have a bias
Nexus 6
iPad Air 2
Samsung Note 10 (2014)

Previous devices
Samsung Note 2
HTC Droid Incredible 2
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4S

Originally Posted By: Refreshed
I switched awhile back. My iPhone 5s just works. I got very tired of Android myself!

That's pretty much were I am.

I was forced into this move and haven't really liked it.

First, there is no place for my SD card in an iPhone.

Second, I find there are features/actions missing. I miss being able to alias Bluetooth devices. I have two identical head units in two separate cars. They have a generic name based on the HU model. In my Galaxy S5, I could rename each in my phone. I.E. I'd call one Protege5 and the other MGM for Mercury Grand Marquis. With my iPhone, I can't do that without rooting my company provided phone.

Really Apple? Giving me the ability to alias a Bluetooth device shouldn't break security.

I'd really like a consistent back button. It seems like apps do this differently. With an Android phone, you had a back button you could use to go back.

Don't get me wrong, my iPhone 7 works. However, it's not any more reliable nor stable than the S5 I turned in a few months ago.

Also, not a fan of the lightning connected headphones either... Can't use wired headphones AND charge my phone at the same time.

I have had a couple androids and 3 IPhones. iPhones just a smoother operation and batteries seem to last 3x as long as far as life goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My lovely spouse has iOS, I have a windows phone and Android for work, so I've seen it all.
iOS is solid, practically troublefree, rarely needs attention.
Windows on a phone is very good, but the options for programs in the "store" isn't anywhere near what Android is.
Android, lets see, what can I say about Android..... Appeals to the younger crowd, everyone and their brother writes some program to do something, (most are junk), and it's a battery hog. I reboot at least once in an 8 hour shift at work from lockups, and am nagged by apps that I need to verify something, download something, or just do something to shut the darn thing up and keep it happy.
iOS would be the stable worker that just shows up every day, does his job well and quietly, and goes home to have a beer.
Windows would be a solid guy, does his job, but requires some guidance, and an occasional, (but rare) smack across the face to get his attention.
Android is your 4 year old in the car, kicking the back of your seat, wanting to know when you are getting there, needing to whiz, wanting a slushie, and then screaming when he gets it, and wanting to ride some more. Eventually, since he is your kid, and you have investments in him, you settle for his faults, and it becomes acceptable.

Still haven't figured out what I am doing wrong. I see all these reports about how buggy Android is, how folks have to reboot constantly, their battery drains, etc... I had one battery drain issue that was easily solved. (Using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, wife is on a Samsung Galaxy S7).

Switched to an Android phone last spring after being a windows phone user for 4+ years. The Windows OS was solid and worked very well. Unfortunately, nobody gave it decent support for anything, and when Microsoft's Apps on the other platforms worked much better than on their native platform, that was the nudge to change.

On the whole, I have found that for virtually anything I need, there is an app for that on Android. Yes, some of them are good and some of them are bad, but in every case, I have found at least one, if not many apps that will do what I need and do it well. One has to sort through and try a few, but at least you have options. And in every case, if it sends me notifications or push messages, I can turn them off and the problem of overwheleming notifications is solved. By no means the 4 year old in the backseat causing trouble... You can leave it that way if you want, or make it so its not. Your choice.

Know plenty of folks on Ios systems, and they like them too. Nothing bad to say about them either.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I was forced into this move and haven't really liked it.

First, there is no place for my SD card in an iPhone.

Second, I find there are features/actions missing. I miss being able to alias Bluetooth devices. I have two identical head units in two separate cars. They have a generic name based on the HU model. In my Galaxy S5, I could rename each in my phone. I.E. I'd call one Protege5 and the other MGM for Mercury Grand Marquis. With my iPhone, I can't do that without rooting my company provided phone.

Really Apple? Giving me the ability to alias a Bluetooth device shouldn't break security.

I'd really like a consistent back button. It seems like apps do this differently. With an Android phone, you had a back button you could use to go back.

Don't get me wrong, my iPhone 7 works. However, it's not any more reliable nor stable than the S5 I turned in a few months ago.

Also, not a fan of the lightning connected headphones either... Can't use wired headphones AND charge my phone at the same time.

SD Cards: My Nexus can't do that either so I haven't missed that on my phone. Now I do use the SD option on my Note 10 for media purposes, both for downloading from Netflix/Prime or storing my own files.

Alias: I've never done this so I've never noticed.

Can you still not transfer data over the Apple bluetooth?

I've converted to bluetooth headphones, and I hate earpods or whatever they call them. They don't fit my ear. I'll have to see how I adjust to the lack of back button.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I have had a couple androids and 3 IPhones. iPhones just a smoother operation and batteries seem to last 3x as long as far as life goes.

My understanding is that Apple designs their own batteries that are specific to the phone, so the iPhone 7 has a battery that was designed for the iPhone 7.

if you are considering a $$$$ iphone.. compare it to a $$$$ android phone like a new S8 or even a pixel.

I hate it when people compare $1500-$2000 macbooks to $349 4 year old notebooks too..
06.gif

The apple mindset is out stuff is $$$$ and works good.. well ever thing make other premium products works good too... for example a microsoft surface pro 4 instead of a lenovo $279 bestbuy special.

but nooo non-apple products are supposed to be massive value and 1/3 the price of apple yet work the same?

/end sarcasm.

FYI: I like both

Have had my Note 4 for 2 years. Just changed the battery because it wasn't lasting more than 24 hours, original life was 36 hours. $30 for an OEM replacement and good to go.
Rarely have to reboot, maybe once a month.
It just works.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
After almost 6 years, I'm about to make the jump. I've been getting more and more fed up with what seems to be Android related issues.

Just curious... what kind of issues?

FYI, I've had the 5X for about a year and a half now. Still working fine. Battery will last 3 days if I don't keep the screen on for too long. Of course, if you're a very heavy user, it won't even make it through the day, but I believe iPhone wouldn't either.

I switched from Android 2 (!) to Android 7 just recently. The old one had reached a point where there were no longer any apps available. I don't know if it doesn't do anything I need it to do. I actually use it more to do things than my iPad for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Rand
if you are considering a $$$$ iphone.. compare it to a $$$$ android phone like a new S8 or even a pixel.

I hate it when people compare $1500-$2000 macbooks to $349 4 year old notebooks too..
06.gif

The apple mindset is out stuff is $$$$ and works good.. well ever thing make other premium products works good too... for example a microsoft surface pro 4 instead of a lenovo $279 bestbuy special.

but nooo non-apple products are supposed to be massive value and 1/3 the price of apple yet work the same?

/end sarcasm.

+1

Originally Posted By: Danno
Have had my Note 4 for 2 years. Just changed the battery because it wasn't lasting more than 24 hours, original life was 36 hours. $30 for an OEM replacement and good to go.
It just works.

I've had two note 4s for almost two years too, they're great. I'm probably gonna get the S8+ if I can't wait for the Note 8

Too bad Blackberry's BB10 OS didn't gain traction. Stability and smoothness of iOS and open functionality of Android OS. My over 3 year old Z30 is still rock solid, fast, although some internet sites start to get sluggish, holds the battery charge for two days easily and the hub is simply brilliant.

As for iOS vs. Android, meh both have been void of any real innovation for quite some time now.

I got my IP7+ black friday due to promotion. I was all about androids. Had the nexus 1 - 4. Few Galaxy and the last one was a Note4 on a edge rom.

I've been bored with rooting and romming phones to get what i wanted or what other phones had. It was fun the first 5-7 years but after that blah. I didn't want an Iphone but it was Iphone7+ or S7 for same cost.

Overall the phone works fine, a few annoying things about it but i dont care. Next phone after this will most likely be a android, if oneplus is still around in 2-4 years or whatever budget phone is out. I dont care for phones as much as i used to. S8+ looks good but not for the price. All these phones should be $500 phones or they should make $500 versions of everything.

$500 is the sweet spot for phones IMO. Oneplus has it down. Nexus/Pixel USED to have that idea as well.

Iphone works for a lot of the mass people and its simple enough for my parents.

I was an Android lifer until I was forced to get an iPhone. Never going back to Android. And no, I don't stand in line for every iPhone that comes out. My 5S currently is 2.5 years old.

I switched from Android to iOS on my phone last year - I prefer iOS.

This year i replaced my Note 10.1 2014 Edition with an 12.9 iPad Pro -> fantastic device!

Originally Posted By: Rand

06.gif

/end sarcasm.

I definitely agree with you. Everyone has premium products, too many people see Apple and just assume it's the best out there.

I feel I am going to compare comparable phones. The iPhone 6 is the same age as the Nexus 6 and the Nexus was a premium phone when it was released. Both phones have been kept up to date and have the latest OS and patches.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: racer12306
After almost 6 years, I'm about to make the jump. I've been getting more and more fed up with what seems to be Android related issues.

Just curious... what kind of issues?

FYI, I've had the 5X for about a year and a half now. Still working fine. Battery will last 3 days if I don't keep the screen on for too long. Of course, if you're a very heavy user, it won't even make it through the day, but I believe iPhone wouldn't either.

My main issues have been related to the phone lagging a lot. It has been an issue before the update to Android 7. I did get a warranty/insurance replacement a few months ago and I thought that the other phone may have been due for a wipe and start over, but didn't since I was getting the replacement. Right off the bat the replacement was having the same issues. Now, it was started fresh with Android 7. I can't find a reason for it either. Sometimes a reboot helps. Plug in charging can be strange too from day to day in the exact same situation (driving home with Waze and Audible running and streaming to bluetooth with the same charger) one day it'll charge great for my hour drive home other days it will only receive a marginal charge. This was the same issue on the replaced phone, even replaced the car charger to see if that was the issue and it was not. It's just weird stuff like that.

There is then the attractiveness of the iPhone/iTunes interface for backing up and updating.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Danno
It just works.

I've had two note 4s for almost two years too, they're great. I'm probably gonna get the S8+ if I can't wait for the Note 8

I've heard that the Note 4s were tanks. One thing I did not like with my Note 2 and still with the Note 10 is the OS updates. First Samsung has to approve them, then Verizon, then someday down the line I'd get it. That was a big reason for moving to the Nexus line. At least with an iPhone I'll retain that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back