Iphone / BB Torch/ Droid incredible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok...REALLY needs to upgrade the phones..BB Pearl is on its last legs...i guess we cannot keep the current data plan we had with Alltel when we migrated to VW, and will have to get VW plan ?? IDK - the info is mixed...

Everyone's telling us to go with an iphone 4 or iphone 4s. We need a phone with global-ready feature so although the 'old' iphone 4 is just $99 with VW, it doesn't fit the bill...the NEW iphone 4s IS a global ready phone, but $199...
AND I am worried about the battery being not replaceable by user on iphones...

The new BB Torch looks nice but too new for any reliable feedback...anyone has one?

The 3rd contender is Droid Incredible-2 ($149)...Android, and good reviews...

BTW, we're not crazy about using a million crazy 'apps' - bit of web browsing, check e-mail, and check/update Facebook is all we do pretty much.

Here are all our choices (VW global ready smart phones): iphone 4s not pictured, but also one of the choices...

vwphones.png

Any advice on which one we should go with?

I have a Blackberry Bold (Verizon) for work and I really like....but I only use it for email and phone. It has really good voice quality, even with the speaker phone.

Thanks...call quality is important...only thing that worries me about the Bold is the form factor (pretty huge/wide) and price.

Well, like i said the ones pictured all have global features from Verizon right now.
And they're the only ones available with global capability.

TNS: is the non-user-replaceable battery a big concern with iphones?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Well, like i said the ones pictured all have global features from Verizon right now.
And they're the only ones available with global capability.

TNS: is the non-user-replaceable battery a big concern with iphones?

I've seen a great deal of iPhones more than 2 years old still hanging on to a good charge. I have always been one to make sure a phone is charged full in one shot instead of 5-15 minute charges here and there.

I have a new Torch (9810) as my work phone and I really love it. It's fast, efficient, good battery life, and the reception, call quality, and speakerphone is top of the line.

On the other hand, iPhone's just work. The appstore is the real deal. There are many applications out there thaat I use everyday. Great camera, screen, everything on that phone has great build quality and works well. iPhone's antenna ane reception is above average but I wouldn't say it's as good as a Blackberry.

I love my BB but if I only could use one smartphone I would go with the 4S. They have great resell value too, so you can always make some money back when looking to upgrade again.
smile.gif

Im very happy with my Droid 3.Much better then my Droid 2. My wife has an HTC Droid and really likes it also. I frankly was not impressed with my Iphones. They take nice pictures but i have a real camera for that. Battery life was aweful aswell. Iphone 4s has not been out long enough for anyone on this forum to give a review on

yeah the camera is not a big deal for me...the incredble also has a pretty good camera anyway...
I guess what's new with iphone 4s is faster, Siri and better camera...
they SAY battery life is improved....

yeah the camera is not a big deal for me...the incredble also has a pretty good camera anyway...
I guess what's new with iphone 4s is faster, Siri and better camera...
they SAY battery life is improved....

The Incredable is the phone my wife has. Been very happy with and it does take nice pics. Much better pics then my Droid 3.

I really liked my Droid 2. IMO HTC builds a better phone then motorola.

I don't know if things have changed but warranty and insurance was a royal pain to deal with apple on

iphone 4 and 4S has battery that you can replace, but you need to use a screw driver to open up the bottom 2 screws and then slide out the LCD.

All "world phone" uses Qualcomm chipset because of CDMA and they all have better voice quality than the GSM iphone 4 and older (Infineon). Try testing out a Verizon iphone 4 and see if you like the voice quality, and that'll likely be what the 4S would be like.

Last edited:
The main question I think you need to answer is whether you want a physical keyboard or not, then whether you feel more comfortable with Windows, iOS, or Android.

The latest CPU and speed spec of most smartphones are very close, and it is what you feel more comfortable with that should make you decide what you should buy (size vs portability, battery life vs performance). $50-100 difference isn't that much when you look at reselling them used later if you upgrade, or use it for longer before it obsolete. You are already paying for a data plan anyways.

I have a BB tour and an iphone 4 that I use a LOT. The BB is great if youre doing a lot of typing. The iphone is great for most everything else.

I wouldnt worry about the iphone battery, they last very well if treated with common sense wrt use of Li-ion batteries. Ive not had any issues, and there are means to replace the battery.

I got an Iphone after having a driod and I'll never own another droid. The Iphone get my voted.

My iPhone 3GS is 28 months old, still holds a good charge. I don't drain it everyday, keep it plugged in whenever possible.

Newegg sells battery holders for around $15 on sale. This one is similar to the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875998744

Picked up a couple of them, rather drain a $15 easily swapped external battery pack than an internal battery. Hope to get 4 years out of the internal one.

technically the battery on the Iphone 4 and 4s is easily replaceable, as pandabear stated but, there really is no need to remove the battery. the battery last at least 5hrs to 20% and if additional power is needed there are many reserve battery products out there. in the 3 years I have had an Iphone there has never been a time where the battery needed to be removed, and if there is a issue apple will take care of the issue with out any problems especially if you have apple care

so what about the whole NO FLASH SUPPORT on iphone?
and no message alert (blinking light)?
and NO expandable storage?

Can someone 'defend' these shortages or explain why these are no big deals?

still undecided.

so what about the whole NO FLASH SUPPORT on iphone?
and no message alert (blinking light)?
and NO expandable storage?

Can someone 'defend' these shortages or explain why these are no big deals?

still undecided.

I surf the internet a LOT on my iphone. I generally use 1-2GB/month on the iphone and Im not usually a big pandora or streaming person... Its all web.

Do I miss flash? Sometimes, but really? Practially speaking not much.

No message alert? For what? My wife's bees every time a text comes in, and I believe that if you set it up to actually let messages get pushed or go fetch email messages, it WILL beep at you when they come in. As for a light? What Ive found is that the blinking light on my blackberry needs to get covered up when Im trying to sleep in a hotel room because it's annoying.

Expandable storage? I have a 16 GB iphone. I rip all my music uncompressed AIFF. Would it be nice to be able to add a supplimental 32 GB card into the phone to have extra space? Absolutely.

Practically speaking, my only gripe is that iTunes doesnt let me "downgrade" to something like 320kBPS AAP rather than forcing 128k for reducing file size. Even uncompressed, 16GB is a LOT of space, and I take a LOT of photos. You can only listen to so much music in even a cross-country trip.

So while I see the beenfits to some of the stuff you mention, practically speaking it isnt missed.

My 3GS that my wife is currently using is from August 09 and still holds charge good as new. Practially speaking in terms of Ah in/out can I say that definitely? No. But even with regular use, charging is only needed every other day or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back