New Dacia Duster

After getting shot of my '21 Vauxhall Insignia because it was so problematic, it was time to shop for a new car.

I've always had a soft spot for Dacia. I like their simple no-nonsense approach to life. My Wife is on her 3rd one, and although she did have a bad one (which Renault gave us a full refund for without any arguments) the other two have been absolutely perfect.

I decided I wanted a Duster with 4WD. I don't see the point in compromising on fuel economy and handling to then only have FWD. If you've got the extra ground clearance, you might as well be able to use it.

I made a few phone calls... and a few more... then phoned Renault UK... then made a few more phone calls. After phoning what felt like every single dealer in the UK, it rapidly became apparent that there wasn't any 4WD models in the country. A factory order was an estimated 6-9 months, 6-9 months I just didn't have. What made the entire situation even more annoying was numerous brand new 4WD Dusters being advertised online as "Brand New - In Stock", but when you made the phone call they would tell you that's their 'offer price' only and the advert was for factory order only.

Just by sheer luck I had one more look on Autotrader and found one more advert for a cancelled order. I made phone call and very quickly worked out by the accents that it was in Northern Ireland. But it was the only chance I was going to have to get my hands on one any time soon!

So I placed a deposit, and Friday I made the trip!

It involved being dropped off at Bristol Airport at 6:30am, getting an 8am flight from Bristol to Belfast Airport which landed at 9:20am. Then I had to get a bus into Belfast city centre, jump on a train to Portadown and getting a taxi to the dealer.

This is when my trip got very stressful indeed. I had a ferry from Rosslare to Fishguard booked for 6:15pm and I had to be checked in by 5:45pm. Google maps advised the travel time to be 3 hours and 14 minutes. I figured as long as I left the dealer by 2pm, I'd be fine.

By 1:15pm we were all wrapped up in the dealer and I was ready to go! I took a short drive 5 minutes for the road to tank-up with diesel. After filling up, I put the port into Google maps and the ETA? 5:47pm. The ferry ticket was £200, it wasn't flexible in any way and the ferries only run every 12 hours or so.

I hadn't eaten since 5am, I needed a pee, I wasn't the most alert, but it quickly came apparent that I needed move quickly, very quickly.

After the most stressful 4 hours and 13 minutes driving that I have ever completed, fighting a full bladder and getting shouted at by the Garda for driving a bit too quickly, I made it to the port for 5:43pm. :ROFLMAO:

The ferry crossing was rough, but I found somewhere low in the boat to lie down and managed to get a couple of hours sleep. After we landed, I was home and back in bed for Midnight.

Screenshot_20221125-233248_Maps.jpg

20221125_074549.jpg

20221125_102546.jpg

20221125_103516.jpg

20221125_131924.jpg

20221125_130827.jpg

20221125_173703.jpg

20221125_175049.jpg

20221127_152858.jpg

The car is great. The 1.5 diesel engine in this is far superior to the 1.5 3 cylinder that was in my Vauxhall Insignia. It's well spec'd, it has keyless entry & start, climate control, android auto, blind sport monitoring etc etc. Even after my stressful 200+ miles drive, I was comfortable with no aches or pains.

No sure what the long-term plan is. My Wifes Dacia Logan is getting on a little bit now (coming up to 6 years old with 110k on the clock) so I may give it to her in a year or two when (hopefully) the car market sorts itself out and I can buy something German again. :ROFLMAO:

But for now, 2 Dacia household...

20221127_154008.jpg

Now that is a heck of a great story! Kudos to you for sticking to your guns all day. Really hope that you enjoy the new car. You deserve it!!!

Sounds like a fun adventure! I like the idea of a cheap 4x4 fuel efficient vehicle with a manual transmission even! I would hope the KISS engineering of car like this makes it more reliable for you.
Maybe someday Nissan will rebadge some of these and bring them to N.A. I find it amazing that these are that much cheaper than Subaru's, like 40% cheaper than a Forester. That would make it a $18-19k car here, which would be nice especially with that fuel economy.

There are tons of non US market cars i wish we could have. You can buy these and many other desirable models from other brands in Mexico and bring it up here but you wouldn't be able to register them as they aren't approved for US roads but just need small changes from the manufacturer. I'd love to drive a Toyota Hilux or a mitsubishi l200 and get an automatic toyota avanza with the older bulletproof drivetrain with an automatic for just 15k usd.

I think you bought another lemon, the steering wheel is on the wrong side!
;)
Nice ride!

Some would say it's actually the 'right' side. ;)

it´s a cheaply made car; but with renault tech. engines are ok.
kudos that they still make lpg.

Cheaply made, absolutely. There's no doubt these are cheap cars made to a price.

However, it has all the required modern equipment, and the underpinnings are heavily derived from Nissan/Renault cars. The front half of this car has a chassis is based on the Nissan B0 platform, and the rear half of the car is Nissan X-Trail (think these were called the Rogue in the US?).

They're basically just thrown together out of the parts bin of old Renault and Nissan cars. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Sounds like a fun adventure! I like the idea of a cheap 4x4 fuel efficient vehicle with a manual transmission even! I would hope the KISS engineering of car like this makes it more reliable for you.
Maybe someday Nissan will rebadge some of these and bring them to N.A. I find it amazing that these are that much cheaper than Subaru's, like 40% cheaper than a Forester. That would make it a $18-19k car here, which would be nice especially with that fuel economy.

I paid £22,600 for this car 'on-the-road' including all the taxes and first year registration costs. An equivalent Forester would be around 60-70% more.

"'22 Dacia Duster 1.5DCi 4WD - Awaiting Delivery"

Time to update your signature :D

Congrats and enjoy!

Done! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers for the comments guys. I was writing this post while trying to get out of the office yesterday and just realised it's littered with spelling mistakes. :ROFLMAO:

I'll try to get some more pictures in due course as my current offering are very limited. And I'll keep this thread updated with mileage and maintenance posts.

If I was buying new, it would be a dacia aswell.

Just remember this: all cars are made to a price point. Some save money where you can see/feel it (like plastic textures) but others do it in less visible places. Guess which ones end up costing more after a few years?

I think the cheapest small vehicle in the USA now is the Nissan Versa for $14.5k or at least they were. The unfortunate part is that if they wanted to certify it for the US market it would be $2 million for crash tests and another $1-2 million in epa testing. Hence why the usa seems to have fewer low-volume vehicles.

Nearly a month in and I've put 1,500miles on the clock. Loving the car. It's got character and a personality which I like, and haven't experienced in a long time.

We've had a bit of ice and snow the last few weeks. The Dacia has performed impeccably. It's currently covered in salt and general road grime. So over Christmas I'll be cleaning it thoroughly (underside included) and applying Lanogaurd to the underside. I'll also be dropping the factory fill, probably go with Castrol Edge LL 5w30 and have a Bosch filter ready to go.

IMG_20221215_192956.jpg

One of our business partners in Romania has one - rode with him several times there - solid vehicle …
Do business with Stena as well - great company …

Towbar installed ready to drag the caravan around this summer and first oil change done!

Towbar was interesting. The car has DEF/AdBlue, there was a little module that seemed to be for the AdBlue system that was in the way of the towbar mounting brackets so had to make a little bracket to move it out of the way an inch or so. Towbar was a Witter swan neck item with a genuine Renault/Dacia wiring loom.

IMG_20230226_115541.jpg

IMG_20230226_112110.jpg

IMG_20230226_105629.jpg
IMG_20230226_112805.jpg
IMG_20230226_150658.jpg

First oil change was with a Bosch filter and Fuchs Flex 3 Pro 5w40 which is a Porsche C40 approved oil. Should be more than ample for our towing adventures.
IMG_20230307_144716.jpg

The old filter was a Purflux unit, found a few metal flakes in it. Usual for the initial oil change on any car...
IMG_20230307_144800.jpg
IMG_20230307_144802.jpg
IMG_20230307_145010.jpg

Annoyingly, the oil filter is located directly above an anti-roll bar. Who on earth thought that was a good idea?
IMG_20230307_145123.jpg

I then gave the engine bay a good clean to clear the winter salt. A soak in Powermaxxed TFR at 10:1 in an IK foamer, left to soak for 5 minutes before a thorough pressure wash. I then treated the whole engine bay with Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac to protect the from corrosion before a light mist of Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Dressing. I then left the engine run for 15 to dry it off and wiped all the plastics down with a microfibre lightly misted with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Dressing. Any hinges, latches, battery terminals etc all protected with Bilt Hamber Ferrosol.

IMG_20230307_150740.jpg
IMG_20230307_151006.jpg
IMG_20230307_154610.jpg

Back