MG ZS

So, I guess this is the first real showing of Chinese (FAIC with an MG badge) cars in Europe? If so, your impressions do not paint a favourable picture.

4EA1AA7F-D004-4D67-955B-93F8C5035F93.jpeg

And so it continues…

Just a little update. I don't plan on using this as a diary like I do my Duster thread as it will be getting maintained solely at the dealer. But while it's being an unreliable pile of excrement, I'll add some notes and thoughts.

So after the radio went faulty again we started suffering with battery drain. Apparently this radio issue is a common fault that's been going on for a long time (I can find threads going back to 2021 on MG forums) and is down to a faulty DAB radio module. When the module is in a 'faulty' state it doesn't go to sleep and drains the battery. You can reset the module by disconnecting the battery, but after a couple of days it goes back into fault.

The dealer replaced the radio module on Monday morning and we haven't seen the issue again. But it's early days.

So we currently own a 7 week old car that's been back to the dealer 3 times and had breakdown assistance phoned on it a number of times to jump start it.

The engine is not getting better. It's honestly so flat and lumpy low down. Totally unacceptable for such a modern car to drive so poorly. Oh, and the trip computer has settled down at 31mpg (26mpg US).

Even more interesting was a Facebook page I come across for the MG ZS. Most pages I'm on, if someone complains their car is unreliable people suggest that you're a one off, they're good cars, give it a chance etc. The MG page was just full of people agreeing with me and saying how poor the cars were. Quite a few people had started off with the bigger MG HS, had a load of issues with it and then were convinced by the dealer to try a ZS instead.

Urgh. I'm just glad it's got a 7 year warranty and 4 year service plan and that I shouldn't need to touch the thing.

Back