IPhone to Android

When I go to give out my phone number to a site super of one of our clients, it's a phone number, not Facebook, not WhatsApp. So personally I do care about RCS. It was sometimes unreliable the first little while but now that it's been out for a couple it seems very reliable and it makes my life easier.

These 2 things (attached screenshot) are the biggest reason I'm sticking with android, I guess besides that I just really don't like the layout of iOS. My LG v60 is 3 years old and still works like new. I can expand it by 1tb if I want in addition to the 128gb internal.
Everyone has their preferences and their reasons for it but it's a shame so many features have been taken away from high end phones. Many of them because apple did it first.
I would get a Sony as my next phone if they weren't so crazy expensive.
I had a V30...outstanding phone. A G7...also great. A v50...It's a Verizon variant and I love the slightly smaller size but I can't get the 5G going as I have T-Mobile. So I settled on a LG Velvet. I paid $240 for it brand new in it's original packaging less than a year ago. It's an outstanding phone. It updated to Android 12 shortly after I got it and is actually slated to get Android 13...whether it does or not, I don't really care. In fact, it just did a security update while I was typing this..
It does everything I I need a a phone to do and much more, flawlessly.

Last edited:
Ahhh .. I’ll never figure out the currency up there! Looking at that $849 Canadian Pesos throws me for a loop!

My point was anyone can buy an IPhone for less money by getting an older model direct brand new from Apple and still come complete with the Apple warranty ect
I’ll go out on a limb and say buying a $599 USD new Apple IPhone 12 is still a superior choice to anything else unless of course one prefers the Android platform then it’s pointless.

Out of 28 years of computing starting with Windows 95 and with my first cell phone in 2002 I never a desire for Apple products. I thought they were overpriced.

About 5 years ago (guessing on time frame) I bought my first Apple product, an iPhone XR, so happy with it the rest is history….
About 3 years ago I entered Apple world exclusively with now an iPhone 13, Apple Watch, MacBook Air and Mac mini

I’ll never go back to Android and most likely never go back to Microsoft. It was a shame that they couldn’t get the Windows phone to sell (yes I had one and it was awesome for it’s time) Microsoft to me was a Jack of all trades operating system and became too much bloat for what I wanted and why Apple works well for me.

So back to my point in US currency!
iPhone 12 $599

Our household is mixed. Three daughters all have iPhones which they bought themselves, so I wasn't involved in that decision. My wife has a Pixel 7a and I have Pixel 7. My wife also has an iPad, which is about 5 years old and finally starting to show it's age as with every recent update it gets slower and slower.

Where Apple has everyone beat is their longevity. If the 5 year old iPad was an Android tablet, it would have been trashed years ago. Their phones tend to last 4-5 years without a problem. Warranty and repair work is quick and reasonably priced. My daughters had iPhone 7 prior. Two of them had their phones replaced under Apple Care extended warranty twice. Even out of warranty, they would replace the entire phone for about $450. Software updates are second to none.

Apple has held the line on pricing their phones the last few years, and on the higher end models have actually reduced the price which is great to see.

Their is nothing wrong with a couple generation old iPhone. Two of my daughters have an iPhone 11 and the other has a iPhone 13 Pro. Performance wise you would be hard pressed to tell which ones were which.

I still say the best phones ever were BlackBerry. But I also blame BlackBerry directly for the iMessage debacle. iMessage was heavily influenced by BlackBerry Messenger.

I debated between iPhone and Pixel last time around. The Pixel 7 won out this time, but the debate was longer this time than previously.

Our household is mixed. Three daughters all have iPhones which they bought themselves, so I wasn't involved in that decision. My wife has a Pixel 7a and I have Pixel 7. My wife also has an iPad, which is about 5 years old and finally starting to show it's age as with every recent update it gets slower and slower.

Where Apple has everyone beat is their longevity. If the 5 year old iPad was an Android tablet, it would have been trashed years ago. Their phones tend to last 4-5 years without a problem. Warranty and repair work is quick and reasonably priced. My daughters had iPhone 7 prior. Two of them had their phones replaced under Apple Care extended warranty twice. Even out of warranty, they would replace the entire phone for about $450. Software updates are second to none.

Apple has held the line on pricing their phones the last few years, and on the higher end models have actually reduced the price which is great to see.

Their is nothing wrong with a couple generation old iPhone. Two of my daughters have an iPhone 11 and the other has a iPhone 13 Pro. Performance wise you would be hard pressed to tell which ones were which.

I still say the best phones ever were BlackBerry. But I also blame BlackBerry directly for the iMessage debacle. iMessage was heavily influenced by BlackBerry Messenger.

I debated between iPhone and Pixel last time around. The Pixel 7 won out this time, but the debate was longer this time than previously.
Apple 'might' have the longevity edge, but that's clearly due to the simple/boring design/function. Been around Apple since the 80s and still have no interest in owning a single thing they've ever created.

Don't forget that apple is fighting the war against right to repair. Once they win that war they can keep increasing the price you pay for AppleCare (it's not an included warranty) since they make phones that are not repairable.
The software can go 5-6 years no problem because they're so good about updates. It's the hardware that's the problem.

I had a V30...outstanding phone. A G7...also great. A v50...It's a Verizon variant and I love the slightly smaller size but I can't get the 5G going as I have T-Mobile. So I settled on a LG Velvet. I paid $240 for it brand new in it's original packaging less than a year ago. It's an outstanding phone. It updated to Android 12 shortly after I got it and is actually slated to get Android 13...whether it does or not, I don't really care. In fact, it just did a security update while I was typing this..
It does everything I I need a a phone to do and much more, flawlessly.
I wish LG never quit making phones. They were giving us features everyone else was taking away, like headphone jack, micro SD slot, etc. Dual display for my phone can turn it into a foldable only when you want it. Has screen+ similar to dex.

Don't forget that apple is fighting the war against right to repair. Once they win that war they can keep increasing the price you pay for AppleCare (it's not an included warranty) since they make phones that are not repairable.
The software can go 5-6 years no problem because they're so good about updates. It's the hardware that's the problem.
Good news is you dont have to repair iPhones, they just work, heck your kid can jump in a swimming pool and it will still work.
Except for enthusiasts no one repairs their own phone. Ahh.. the software and that is where Apple hands down wins over the Wild West equal of Android. BTW it's not 5 or 6 years of support from Apple its 6+ years.

Apple 'might' have the longevity edge, but that's clearly due to the simple/boring design/function. Been around Apple since the 80s and still have no interest in owning a single thing they've ever created.
Choice is good and they certainly have the longevity edge. Since you never owned or had interest in owning a late model iPhone not much more to say there.

Apple will happily sell you OEM parts and rent you the (sometimes specialized) tools to replace stuff on the iPhone as well as their laptops, desktops, and displays. Granted the prices range from reasonable to eye watering, logic boards can get eye watering high. Their prices to just have them do it aren’t ridiculous either most of the time, just looked and they’d charge me $89 for a new battery in my 13 Pro Max.

Choice is good and they certainly have the longevity edge. Since you never owned or had interest in owning a late model iPhone not much more to say there.
Indeed have never owned one and wouldn't if it was free, but have used several fairly newer models that family members own and still find the duhPhone to be a simple/slow joke compared to the Android platform. Never been impressed with anything Apple has came up with. Not to mention the latest 'Ultra' Apple watch my stepson paid $800 for apparently. Has the same dinky/candy*** design the rest of their products do.

Indeed have never owned one and wouldn't if it was free, but have used several fairly newer models that family members own and still find the duhPhone to be a simple/slow joke compared to the Android platform. Never been impressed with anything Apple has came up with. Not to mention the latest 'Ultra' Apple watch my stepson paid $800 for apparently. Has the same dinky/candy*** design the rest of their products do.
Let me guess, you don’t like Apple products 🙃

Good news is you dont have to repair iPhones, they just work, heck your kid can jump in a swimming pool and it will still work.
Except for enthusiasts no one repairs their own phone. Ahh.. the software and that is where Apple hands down wins over the Wild West equal of Android. BTW it's not 5 or 6 years of support from Apple its 6+ years.
Yeah right. You should know better. Everything can and will eventually break. They will eventually spread this to cars and I doubt people will be as forgiving.

i15 will be no more than $899 I dont know where you are coming up with these numbers
I don't know about the increase in price for the 15 but just to show how much we pay here in Canada if we want the top of the line model and AppleCare. I never personally buy extended warranty/insurance on phones, especially not for an extra $15/month. My lg v60 came with a 2 year factory warranty. After that it can be repaired at home, or for a reasonable price at an independent repair shop if you're not comfortable with opening it up.
So that's why I don't buy the just get AppleCare argument. You're basically funding apple being able to shut down third party repair.
Sorry for the off topic rant. That's my last thought on the matter. I won't be replying anymore, especially not if it's about apples latest "self repair program" farce.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628-200915.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-200915.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230628-200943.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-200943.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230628-201032.jpg
    Screenshot_20230628-201032.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3
I bought the iPhone 14 when it came out and it was the first Apple phone I have ever had. Been really happy with it. Before that I was using unlocked Android phones I would buy off Amazon for 100 bucks or so. My kids and grandkids all have iPhones, so I just got on board. Glad I did.

Yeah right. You should know better. Everything can and will eventually break. They will eventually spread this to cars and I doubt people will be as forgiving.

Phones (Android, Apple, whatever) generally don't break, they all "just work" and anything decent is waterproof and can go into a swimming pool these days. The most common thing I see are broken screens. The iPhone was so fragile at one point that almost everyone I saw had a shattered front screen or back.

Phones (Android, Apple, whatever) generally don't break, they all "just work" and anything decent is waterproof and can go into a swimming pool these days. The most common thing I see are broken screens. The iPhone was so fragile at one point that almost everyone I saw had a shattered front screen or back.

I broke a screen replacing a broken screen on one of my daughters friends phones. Must have been an iPhone 4 or 5. By the iPhone 7 they had toughened up the screens. We had three of them in the house at one point and in four years, none of the screens broke. These were heavily used phones by teenage girls who carried them everywhere and would consistently sit on them in their back pockets.

Back