IPhone to Android

I used to have the 2 year trade cycle for my phones. It's way too expensive for that now, Apple or android. The battery life on my iPhone 12 is losing some steam now, but I've already decided that when the time comes, I'll just replace the battery. Theoretically, I could get rid of my personal phone and just use my work phone for everything, but I'd rather have my two phones then be tied to my work phone for everything.

Android is 100% as reliable as iPhone, intuitive is in the eye of the beholder. I will say a lot of users find it frustrating to change from Android to iOS or vice versa.

For what it's worth...lol

I flex back and forth over time. Operating isn’t the issue, it’s getting your passwords synced again. Google helps a lot with this, but it’s not a perfect transition. Android is more customizable in design and appearance which is nice. I wouldn’t call Android particularly unreliable, but because it needs to be all things for many different phones, I’ve definitely had more glitches with it which I would call minor annoyances, but not major operational issues.

I’m using an 8S+. Camera is not great but adequate. My battery has94% of its capacity still.

Reactions: Y_K
I flex back and forth over time. Operating isn’t the issue, it’s getting your passwords synced again. Google helps a lot with this, but it’s not a perfect transition. Android is more customizable in design and appearance which is nice. I wouldn’t call Android particularly unreliable, but because it needs to be all things for many different phones, I’ve definitely had more glitches with it which I would call minor annoyances, but not major operational issues.

The only glitch I've noticed on any phone in years is my work iPhone 12, if someone leaves a voicemail it won't come through for 45min-1 hour sometimes. Bizarre.

I have 3 personal phones, Pixel 7 Pro, S23 Ultra and a Moto G Power. No issues with any of them. Need to sell the S23. Yes, I have a phone buying problem.

I'm an Android user, and my wife uses Apple. There are pros and cons to each, and I doubt anyone here will have anything enlightening to add unless you have something specific you need your phone to do or not do.

As for timing, I follow the philosophy of what several others have posted already - whichever brand you decide on, buy the one that's a generation behind the newest version, and get it for free*. Paying for a flagship phone is fine if you won't miss the money at all, or there is some difference that allows you to earn enough money to pay for it. Otherwise, it's nuts.

*nothing is really free. If you keep your current phone or buy a cheap one outright, you could likely save on your monthly plan.

Last edited:
Do you have to have the latest one? The 14 was basically the 13... A year or two old is still a very good phone and half the price.

I did this a few years ago, I switched and bought a $300 Samsung A50. I went back after 18 months, because it is worth it.
An a50 isn't a good comparison. That's a budget phone, and none of the iPhones are really a budget phone. 5 years ago my sister got an a70 (budget)and my friend got an s9 (flagship). The a70 died about 2 years ago and my friend still uses the s9. Since then they've gotten even better. There are several year old top end models that are way faster than a new budget model.

Lots of fans of both. Personally I am happy with Android and upgrade about every three years to the newest Pixel.

Apple's closed ecosystem is a plus for some people, not for others. Apple controls 100% of the apps you can install, no side loaded apps at all. Less risk, fewer choices.

I'm using an Pixel 7 with GrapheneOS installed. It's a privacy/security focused operating system. The only downside for me is Android auto doesn't work but I don't need it to anyway.

If I didn't have this I would probably be using an IPhone. Phones are too expensive to change every year for me unless I get a really good trade In deal.

The X factor is security updates. If the phone is no longer getting updates, I replace it.

An a50 isn't a good comparison. That's a budget phone, and none of the iPhones are really a budget phone. 5 years ago my sister got an a70 (budget)and my friend got an s9 (flagship). The a70 died about 2 years ago and my friend still uses the s9. Since then they've gotten even better. There are several year old top end models that are way faster than a new budget model.

He had mentioned he was thinking of switching because he wanted a cheaper phone, which is the same reason I switched. I have zero interest in a top end Android phone.

1. The OP says he likes the Apple ecosystem and speculates a new iPhone 15 will be $1200 to $1500. That is incorrect, it will be much cheaper at most the $900 range a far cry from 12 to $1500
2. The OP can purchase an iPhone 13 or iPhone 14 when the iPhone 15 comes out for as little as $600 direct from Apple and will certainly exceed anything in the Android world at that price, all the while he states he like the Apple system.

Easy stuff, no need for him to switch.

1. The OP says he likes the Apple ecosystem and speculates a new iPhone 15 will be $1200 to $1500. That is incorrect, it will be much cheaper at most the $900 range a far cry from 12 to $1500
2. The OP can purchase an iPhone 13 or iPhone 14 when the iPhone 15 comes out for as little as $600 direct from Apple and will certainly exceed or match anything in the Android world at that price, all the while he states he like the Apple system.

Easy stuff, no need for him to switch.
I'm sure a mildly optioned Pro will be $1500. My 13 Pro Max was about that with extra storage space. However, there absolutely will be lower priced units.

I would venture to say that even a 12 is more than adequate for many people.

If Facetime is a requirement, you're stuck in Apple one way or another. If you want an Android phone, time to buy an iPad (9th gen is $329).

I usually chuckle at people that say Apple phones are so expensive, but then want to jump to an equivalently expensive Android phone. Outrage is fun.

If cost is a concern, don't buy the latest and greatest. Apple supports their devices for a LONG time. iOS17 that will be out in September will support phones as old as the iPhone Xs and Xr which were released in 2018.

With all that said.....
If you've made up your mind, have fun.

I have a Samsung S22 for my personal use and I am forced to use iphone for work so i jump back a forth multiple times a day. I prefer Android and always have as there are some apps that I cannot get on iphone and methinks Apples cost to developers is WAY too much. If you do go Android I suggest that you get something that will have updates for multiple years. I usually keep phones for 5-6 years.

I couldn't agree more ^^^
I used to be a get a new phone every 2 years person. but for MANY years phones haven't been making the huge iterations that they were. My last phone was 3 years old and it got moved to being the house phone.

Zero interest in upgrading from my 13 Pro Max to the 14 or even this 15 this year. It would take significant upgrades to sway me for a 16 as well.

Unless Apple puts out a folding phone....

I was an android hater and a long time holdout using a flip phone or mini throwaway as I despise the smartphone culture destroyer that is is.

Caved and I went from a MS Windows 8 Phone (NOKIA Lumia, super intuitive) to a newer Andriod release in the base Samsung for 30 bucks for the phone - pay as you go. and its O.K. Compared to a premium unit, the Audio out for headphones is fair at best and not hifi. Battery is good for 2 days plus of moderate usage.
The Camera is marginal at best. A Premium andriod should get you a better camera and better audio. BT casting to my car radio works well and is HIFI. Quality. YT Video playback is good. I don't game so cant give you that perspective. I dont Zoom either. Sealed body with storage expansion space in the side load SIM slot.

but I'm sure nobody cares about base phones except me; forever the Scot penny pincher!

If Facetime is a requirement, you're stuck in Apple one way or another. If you want an Android phone, time to buy an iPad (9th gen is $329).
Curious why would Facetime be a "requirement"? It's just one of many video chat apps across multiple platforms. I've never used it, maybe there's something unique?

Curious why would Facetime be a "requirement"? It's just one of many video chat apps across multiple platforms. I've never used it, maybe there's something unique?
If most/all of a family is in the Apple ecosystem, telling the rest of the family that I want to be different so you need to go install xyz app and setup an account for it. It's not across multiple platforms, it's only available on Apple devices.

Not guaranteed to be well received because it all comes back to Apple stuff plays really, really nice with Apple stuff.

I have nothing against Android, I said it’s a mess because many Android phones are slow to get security updates, some if ever.

He had mentioned he was thinking of switching because he wanted a cheaper phone, which is the same reason I switched. I have zero interest in a top end Android phone.
I understand that, but I'm just saying that if you switched back based on performance, it's not a fair comparison. There are lots of android phones that are cheaper than iPhones yet have similar performance.
Personally I have zero interest in a low end android phone or an iPhone and I have experience with both.

I have nothing against Android, I said it’s a mess because many Android phones are slow to get security updates, some if ever.
I haven't followed the Android world in years, however, they kept talking about how Android was going to be changed fundamentally so that they could get security patches like iPhones and Nexus/Pixel devices get them, direct from the top.

No clue if that ever happened or if it's still we're working on it, 6 years later...

Back