Galaxy Tab S8 vs iPad Air 5th gen

My nearly 8 year old iPad Air 2 is becoming a bit long in the tooth, and it’s time to upgrade. Truthfully, I don’t use my tablet much, and when I do it’s normally for consuming content. I do have an iPhone 13 Pro and I am DEEP into the Apple ecosystem (also Watch, AirPods, iMac), but I’ve never really cared that my tablet be part of that. I’m almost annoyed when I get a text on my tablet because, well, my phone is always near me so I’ll just use that. The photo sharing between devices is nice but for a tablet I don’t really care. I will never take pictures with a tablet.

I really like the specs of the Tab S8. Better speakers, better screen (I prefer the aspect ratio on the S8 also), 120hz display, included pencil which I may not use but hey it’s included. The snapdragon doesn’t have the power of the M1, but for my use it will never make a difference. Mostly YouTube, F1TV and reading. I haven’t used an Android device in some time, but I am very techy by nature and bouncing back and forth between OS’s won’t be a problem.

Anyone been in a similar spot? Like I said, integration with the rest of my smart devices is not a priority in a tablet for me.

Easy choice to the iPad Air/Pro (todays new basic iPad is a dud). Android is still janky when it comes to running apps natively on tablets and tablet specific apps are widely dependent on the developer.

That being said, cost of entry, easy file transfer across platforms/oses, and the ability to tinker with every single facet of the OS (I exaggerate here but more then iPad OS) is the reason I would go with an Android (only Samsung or Google).

Easy choice to the iPad Air/Pro (todays new basic iPad is a dud). Android is still janky when it comes to running apps natively on tablets and tablet specific apps are widely dependent on the developer.

That being said, cost of entry, easy file transfer across platforms/oses, and the ability to tinker with every single facet of the OS (I exaggerate here but more then iPad OS) is the reason I would go with an Android (only Samsung or Google).

The iPad does have very good app support. That being said, I will literally only be using a few apps on the tablet, all of which are just fine on Android. I do need a tablet, it’ll just be for a very limited use case. I do prioritize a high refresh rate, and it makes the whole experience better. I know the basic iPad, even the basic one from last year, will blow the S8 away on bench scores alone. But for what I prioritize in a tablet I’m trying to see what makes the most sense.

Another vote for the iPad. Android tablets are not well supported and get left behind with lack of software support and upgrades.

And, I have the basic iPad (generation 9) and don't think it's a "dud" at all. I love it... but I'm not trying to make it into a laptop or game machine either.

as an android and windows guy is really hard to recommend anything other than an ipad. Basically the Apple Watch and the iPad are two devices apple really has the market in because they are so good. But if you want to try the s8 you can always return it if it’s not what you thought

The iPad does have very good app support. That being said, I will literally only be using a few apps on the tablet, all of which are just fine on Android. I do need a tablet, it’ll just be for a very limited use case. I do prioritize a high refresh rate, and it makes the whole experience better. I know the basic iPad, even the basic one from last year, will blow the S8 away on bench scores alone. But for what I prioritize in a tablet I’m trying to see what makes the most sense.
Benchscores are best left to the realm of media hot takes and those who need to fill a void in their life by declaring how impressive their newest tablet is. The nitty gritty of it all is balance. With any tablet its about equal parts hardware and equal parts software. The screen priority that you are looking for is probably best served with the s8, as that quality of screen probably only would be iPad Pro 12 inch territory which is more expensive then an s8. Since it seems its going to be media consumption tablet, just check if those apps are fully native to the android tablet market and allow all resolutions (netflix does some weird stuff for example on the android side of things).

Another vote for the iPad. Android tablets are not well supported and get left behind with lack of software support and upgrades.

And, I have the basic iPad (generation 9) and don't think it's a "dud" at all. I love it... but I'm not trying to make it into a laptop or game machine either.
In years past on the expensive side and now days on the economy-cheapo tablets side SW support is lacking. I believe the top tier brands from Sammy and Google are promising extended support that come close to Apple (a couple full OS updates, while extended security updates).

The issue with basic iPad that I was referring to is todays newly launched iPad (2022 edition). They bumped the price to $449, added USB-C (I assume due to pending EU requirements to make everyones life easier), minor performance bumps most folks wont really notice/use of selective performance graphs that are more marketing then substance, kept the same screen tech, and apple pencil 1st generation only (bonus you have to buy a lightening to USB-C dongle to charge the pencil).

I dont see this as anything but a dud or compliance piece (note all iPhones will drop lightening starting next year). One would be better off buying the now outdated model on sale starting at $269 without any dongle or simpling waiting for iPad Air deal.

I use Google services and software (Drive/Docs/Gmail/Chrome) and Android phones because I need certain functionality that Apple devices lack and I wouldn't buy an Android tablet.

If I had a bunch of Apple devices like you do an iPad would be an even easier choice, especially if you use iMessage/Facetime/Safari/Mail/Photos. It's nice having things like browsing history (if you use Safari) and photos (if you use Photos) synced across devices without needing to use fiddly workarounds for those few times you WOULD like to have something from another device.

The 120hz display on the Samsung is nice but doesn't really matter as there's very little content available that plays at more than 60fps.

Save yourself some money and get a Galaxy Tab S7 with 256gb of storage. I got one for the wife, and she likes it a lot. Still has the rechargeable S pen.

I originally purchased a 128GB iPad Air 5 for $559 (?) at Costco last month. My wife uses it for the baby monitor, web browsing, etc. Works great.

But then, Walmart was selling the 128GB iPad Pro (M1 Version) for $599. Basically, $200 off. It was totally worth the extra $40 for the better speakers, FaceID and ProMotion. Since the new iPad Pro's were announced yesterday, I would try to find a deal on the last-gen iPad Pro with the M1 chip - it's a much better buy for $600 than the iPad Air.

I originally purchased a 128GB iPad Air 5 for $559 (?) at Costco last month. My wife uses it for the baby monitor, web browsing, etc. Works great.

But then, Walmart was selling the 128GB iPad Pro (M1 Version) for $599. Basically, $200 off. It was totally worth the extra $40 for the better speakers, FaceID and ProMotion. Since the new iPad Pro's were announced yesterday, I would try to find a deal on the last-gen iPad Pro with the M1 chip - it's a much better buy for $600 than the iPad Air.
Even better deal if you can get the M1 Pro at that price. The issue with screen quality vs refresh rate is that the if you want the best tablet screen Apple has to offer, if 12 inch M1 Pro or nothing which is $$$$$. The Promotion/120 refresh rate is a very YMMV deal.

Even better deal if you can get the M1 Pro at that price. The issue with screen quality vs refresh rate is that the if you want the best tablet screen Apple has to offer, if 12 inch M1 Pro or nothing which is $$$$$. The Promotion/120 refresh rate is a very YMMV deal.

I didn’t think about the fact that I might be able to snag an M1 iPad Pro 11” for a good deal now that the new ones are out. I think that’s my ideal scenario, if I can find one for around $600. 120hz is very important to me. Also, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that 120hz isn’t important because most videos aren’t higher than 60fps. That’s true, but frames per second and refresh rate are two very different things.

Back