Insurance companies refusing polices for Hyundai and Kia vehicles in some areas

I live near one of the areas mentioned in the article.
Our daughter attends OSU so we see a decent amount of C'bus news. When the police report the # of stolen vehicles during a given month, for example, they also include that "x" number were Hyundai or Kia models and it's usually 50%+.

The insurance companies should band together and sue H/K for this debacle to recover their losses. We're all paying for it in increased premiums because H/K was too cheap to use transponder keys like the rest of the industry.

Hyundai/Kia should start selling/including insurance with their cars. If it's a good bit cheaper than current insurance company rates, it would help sell more cars. Frankly, I don't understand why all automakers aren't in the auto insurance game as an add-on to the sale. Build it into the monthly payment and at a lower rate than Allstate, State Farm, Liberty, etc. and it's win win for all parties.
Volkswagen used to do that. When I bought my bug years back I got a great deal through the Volkswagen Ins. Co.

Kia Boyz be wylin 😳
This is all Hyundai and Kia's fault, they cheaped out on something that's gonna burn them for years to come

I've still yet to see the proposed software fix for some models, or the TSB dealer installed Crimestopper alarm that's supposed to fix this

At this point, the cheapest and easiest way to protect your car would be install a remote start kit, that includes a starter kill when locked/unlocked

It's double protection on my Camry, that has factory immobilization, plus the Viper unit killing the starter if you don't unlock with the remote
If I had a HyunKia, screw the “retrofit” CompuStar alarm(I’m sure it’s fine, but now that the DEI brands are under Audiovoxx, they might be a better choice), I’ll get the better 2-way paging CompuStar with the iDatalink Blade module, then do a completely stealth install using the factory EWDs to splice into the points behind easily-seen areas. Then install a piezo pain generator siren in the passenger cabin, battery backup siren(with a fuse inline to prevent a short) and battery backup the brain. My second choice would the DEI/Audiovoxx DS4 platform used on the newest Vipers with SmartStart.

What if you cancel the comprehensive part of the insurance?
You have to own vehicle outright then yes you can do that. Hopefully the full loss of vehicle is not financially impactful to you.

Sheer guess folks who can take full loss of recent model Kia/Hyundai without monetary impact do not own them typically.

I only know one multi millionaire/inventor who owns Kia because his wife likes them. His teen kids drive brand new Audi and BMW.

Last edited:
Sure they can.
Anyone can sue anyone else. Winning is a different matter and IMO, the insurance companies can suck it up. That's their business, to accept risks and hope they don't have to pay out too much. Their recourse is what they've done from this story - stop accepting new policies for these vehicles. I'm not sure what would happen if they started dropping existing customers and if I had one of these models and they told me they're dropping just that vehicle, I'd tell them "I'm dropping you for everything".

Yet still another reason to put in a kill switch.
Will prevent the crooks from driving away but there likely will be a trashed steering column as a result. I would also add one of those clubs which is in plain view, maybe enough to deter and another obstacle to deal with. Maybe enough to go to the next car to steal.

At some level, I can't really blame them either.
Why keep doing stupid over and over?
I saw a local news piece on a guy who had a Kia stolen.
He replaced that with another Kia. That was ripped off.
The third time, he bought a Hyundai. Someone tried to steal that, and was spooked in the process.
Did a nice piece of damage on that one.

The only way that this story could get better is if the engine in the stolen Kia blew shortly after it was stolen.

The only way that this story could get better is if the engine in the stolen Kia blew shortly after it was stolen.

They usually get wrecked before that point.
The other day I was sitting in the car waiting for Mrs. Tdbo while she was in a store.
A brand new '23 Kia sedan with a temp tag passed with a trash bag taped over the back window.
Lady doubled back around and parked in front of me.
For excrement and laughter, I looked at the tag.
Tag indicated that she had had the car for five days.
It really is that bad around Columbus for H/K owners.
The teen thugs (and younger) can't keep their meat hooks off of them.

When they want to steal a certain car .... they can and will get it.

In this case it's stupidly simple to steal. The ignition lock cylinder pops right out and exposes the ignition switch that can be turned as easily as the volume knob on the radio.

Back