Insurance companies refusing polices for Hyundai and Kia vehicles in some areas

You get plenty of warnings if your battery is low.
Yes, my wife's '16 CRV does that, but it uses the keyless fob tech. Aren't the cars being stolen use the older KEY with fob tech? Both my Xterra and 4Runner has that and I never get an alert of low battery...it either gets flaky or just stops working at all. So, on 'newer' cars with the KEY and FOB...the BCM actually monitors the fob battery life and gives an alert for low battery life???

By the way, both the Xterra and 4Runner (that I own) have coded keys...which is what H/K should have done in the first place. However, it does make it a PITA to get fully functional copies, if needed.

Last edited:
There is now a fix that is software related for this issue for most models. Hyundai is providing it at no charge. Says it takes an hour to perform at the dealer.

i am in Pa + love Erie ins as they saved $$$ on my vehicles + house + when an icy road + a tree did my 2008 colorado in a few years ago i got a great value + quick service!!

It's the same problem with theft of Kia/Hyundai here in the Twin Cities-also cat converters. It just goes on and on. We are generally short of Cops and enforcement and Kia/Hyundai have been generally MIA on this issue-too bad. I have a push button 2020 Elantra that is kept garaged these days. We've been State Farm insured since 1974 and they had best not get cute.
i called my local State Farm office next to Southdale and the lady there said they have had only 1 Kia stolen in the past year and no Hyundais from their office.
They have not had any messages from corporate about not insuring Hyundai/Kia’s. Last week she had a customer who bought a new Hyundai and it went through with no issues. I am getting an after market imobilizer put in next week just as an added measure.

Back