Insurance companies refusing polices for Hyundai and Kia vehicles in some areas

In this case it's stupidly simple to steal. The ignition lock cylinder pops right out and exposes the ignition switch that can be turned as easily as the volume knob on the radio.
yeah, that is exactly how our 1986 Monte Carlo SS got stolen twice. So simple to do. Anything like a screwdriver or a small steel rod / crowbar and all it takes it to "pop" the lock or a steering column colar and boom! As you say anyone can pull or twist the ignition cables and away they go. Such a really sad design.

yeah, that is exactly how our 1986 Monte Carlo SS got stolen twice. So simple to do. Anything like a screwdriver or a small steel rod / crowbar and all it takes it to "pop" the lock or a steering column colar and boom! As you say anyone can pull or twist the ignition cables and away they go. Such a really sad design.

Unfortunately all old cars were as simple to steal as this, that's why the Passkey and later transponder keys were developed.

Found this on page 8 at https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/kia-vehicles-are-apparently-super-easy-to-steal.351190/ . Likely to apply to HYUNDAI models as well .

IMG_0110.JPG

Last edited:
Any idea how this software upgrade prevents the vehicle from being started?

This bulletin provides the procedure to upgrade the software logic of the Integrated Body Control Unit (IBU) or Body Control Module (BCM) system on some 2011-2016MY Sportage (SL) vehicles produced from May 6, 2010 through Nov 16, 2015, and 2017-2022MY Sportage (QL) vehicles produced from Dec 10, 2015 through Dec 7, 2021, which may not be equipped with an immobilizer. This logic upgrade will add anti-theft ignition start logic to the vehicle's system operation. Follow the procedure outlined in this publication to apply the improved logic to the ‘IBU-BCM’ system using the KDS ECU Upgrade function as described in this bulletin. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been applied to a vehicle you are working on, verify the ROM ID using the table on page 3 of this bulletin.

Window decals should also be applied to both front windows in accordance with the instructions on page 8 to indicate this anti-theft S/W logic upgrade has been completed (unless a customer specifically requests, they not be installed). An initial supply of window decals will be shipped directly to dealers. Should there be a delay in receipt of this supply, please track any customers that may need window decals installation upon receipt of the stickers.

I'm guessing it's for vehicle with alarms? If an unlock by the fob or key isn't detected the vehicle won't start? If so, why wasn't this part of the alarm function from the factory?

As prevalent as facial recognition and fingerprint reading are on smartphones you would think that the automobile manufacturers would incorporate these into starting the car ? The fingerprint reader could be incorporated right in the start button. Facial recognition is starting to make its way in as some are using it for automatic seating and steering wheel positioning.

As prevalent as facial recognition and fingerprint reading are on smartphones you would think that the automobile manufacturers would incorporate these into starting the car ? The fingerprint reader could be incorporated right in the start button. Facial recognition is starting to make its way in as some are using it for automatic seating and steering wheel positioning.
The one who is remotely close to that is Tesla. You need the hardware, Secure Enclave and a way to authenticate the driver. Tesla has the IaaS, they can do it.

With the advent of NFC/UWB-based car keys in Apple Wallet(and it’s bound to your digital wallet, however you can give rights to family members or friends and they’ll get their own digital key), it’s the closest thing to that idea. Ironically, HyunKia is one of the early adopters of Apple Wallet keys.

"Software Upgrade Details
The software upgrade modifies certain vehicle control modules on Hyundai vehicles equipped with standard “turn-key-to-start” ignition systems. As a result, locking the doors with the key fob will set the factory alarm and activate an “ignition kill” feature so the vehicles cannot be started when subjected to the popularized theft mode. Customers must use the key fob to unlock their vehicles to deactivate the “ignition kill” feature."

I wonder if the budget models came with a key fob or its built into the key.

Wait, so what happens if your fob goes out (dead battery) after you lock it with the fob...and you don't have a spare (if buying used, you may or may not get two sets of keys/fobs)...tow truck to the dealer?

Doesn't surprise me. Insurance companies are the biggest legal crooks, along with big oil...

You get plenty of warnings if your battery is low.
Fo realz...Tiguan was yelling at me as I leave my key in the truck most of the times, those especially below freezing. First thing after warming the key up and starting the car...LOW KEY FOB BATTERY.

Called Kia dealer for software update recall... next available date is 4/18/2023

Getting The Club is supposedly not even an option either. Oh well. Still have full coverage fire and theft.... two recalls on electrical gremlins that cause fires. Underamp'd fuse is the fix for 1. Not sure how they fixed the other issue since didn't bother with it yet.

2021 isn't worth investing in a Ravelco.

theclub.jpg

Back