Impact Sockets: Williams USA vs. Snap-On

I am in the market for a second set of deep 1/2" dr. impact sockets. Over the years, I have read some commentary suggesting that Williams USA and Snap-On impact sockets are identical, but the schematics are suggesting otherwise.

Did something recently change?

Williams USA part# JHW14M-617:
1681407815237.jpg

Snap On part #SIMM170:

1681407799899.jpg

For the Hex Depth and Bolt Clearance Depth, the Williams USA socket appears to be a bit shorter. I am not suggesting these differences are material, but assuming these measurements are indeed correct, the two sockets are not identical.

While they may not have identical dimensions in this set, they do have identical dimensions, and come off the same assembly line, in others. I would go with Williams unless the dimensional differences are a deal breaker. Williams are from the same factory.

Here‘s my Williams socket set, bought direct a few years ago (have to go through a distributor now). 1/4” six point SAE sockets, as delivered by Williams. See that sneaky 7/16” with the different roll mark?

Yep, Snap-On. Don’t know if they ran short, or it fell in the wrong bin, or what, but Snap-On and Williams are made by the same folks. I don’t get any benefits from the tool truck mark up between the two brands.

If I was in a shop (and I have a shop, but I’m not full time) then the tool truck support and convenience might be worth it.
61A67E67-01D0-4AA5-ADBC-AFABAE7C6D2D.jpeg

It is a mind game. Convert the inch values to mm and round it off. 3-1/4 =82.55 Snap on calls it 82.6, the 25.4 mm are exactly 1 inch.
I would bet the reason you are posting this is exactly their reason for doing this. Their may be small differences they could make to the socket in eg stamping as Astro pointed out but if they are made in USA there is no doubt in my mind they are coming out of the same factory.

While they may not have identical dimensions in this set, they do have identical dimensions, and come off the same assembly line, in others. I would go with Williams unless the dimensional differences are a deal breaker. Williams are from the same factory.

Here‘s my Williams socket set, bought direct a few years ago (have to go through a distributor now). 1/4” six point SAE sockets, as delivered by Williams. See that sneaky 7/16” with the different roll mark?

Yep, Snap-On. Don’t know if they ran short, or it fell in the wrong bin, or what, but Snap-On and Williams are made by the same folks. I don’t get any benefits from the tool truck mark up between the two brands.

If I was in a shop (and I have a shop, but I’m not full time) then the tool truck support and convenience might be worth it.
I suspect Snap-On employs a system for "Quality Specs" that is similar to what tire manufacturers use. CapriRacer recently discussed this here. Although the Williams USA sockets are of an extremely high quality, it is possible that sockets being sold under that line did not meet the "quality spec" for Snap-On in some manner. This example somewhat validates my suspicion:

Even at eBay prices (typically 1/2 off MSRP), Snap-On impact sockets are generally a poor value - I have no plans to buy any unless it is a style that is not sold under the Williams USA label. IMO, there isn't enough value in the tool truck service to justify paying 2-3x the cost of Williams USA or other brands. Impact swivel sockets are a different story.

It is not like Snap on impact are that high quality anyway. You may want to look at the Proto J74214, good USA made impact sockets.

It is not like Snap on impact are that high quality anyway. You may want to look at the Proto J74214, good USA made impact sockets.

Have not used Proto impact sockets yet, but I have a set of Wright in metric that have held up well.

For impacts that are not hardened steel. As long as it's cro-mo, is it worth it to pay premium brand prices?
I get (and agree with) not wanting Chinese, but apart from that, is a quality Taiwan brand any less quality than snap on or proto, or williams?

For impacts that are not hardened steel. As long as it's cro-mo, is it worth it to pay premium brand prices?
I get (and agree with) not wanting Chinese, but apart from that, is a quality Taiwan brand any less quality than snap on or proto, or williams?
I personally don’t think so, but you are probably going to get different opinions on this. The Sunex and Williams USA sockets are priced very similarly though.

Impact swivel sockets are an entirely different story.

Cr-Mo is not as important as many believe, the ones from Hazet and excellent quality are vanadium. All are an alloy of various metals and various amounts, their socket almost certainly contains Mo.
I had an old one made in W Germany that has Cr-MoV stamped on it. The Vanadium content made them tougher than my MIL on a bender and the Mo removes some of the brittleness. If it is a brand name you can bet the correct alloy is being used.

metric size, long style, with traction profile, made of Chrome Vanadium, phosphatised

I’ve been happy with my new and old proto. I really like the finish on the newer proto impact. The phosphate is kind of rough and holds ballistol well and is easy to grip.

Back