SAE sockets - what to get?

JHZR2

Staff member
Somebody bumped the front bumper on my 96 ram the other weekend. It wasn’t enough to do anything but leave a slight white mark. But it did shift the bumper backward a bit on one side.

I wanted to get it straight, because the bumper cover was close to an ac line. So I went after it this am.

Came to realize they are SAE (duh). Had to look hard for a 6 point 11/16 deep socket, turned out I had a Craftsman one, but I sure don’t have the collection that I need.

Those bumper bolts are on there right despite hitting with penetrating oil twice over a week. One of the three is completely loose for whatever reason. Probably why it was able to move a bit. But it took a long breaker bar, a lot of force, and then an impact on a Cr-V socket to get it loose to adjust.

Sooooooo….

What to get…??

I rarely use SAE stuff, other than when doing household stuff with nuts and bolts. And that’s almost entirely 7/16, 1/2, and 9/16.

I know I’ll need to work on my Ram trucks in the future.

I don’t want a ton more sockets though, frankly. I don’t use them enough.

Not sure if I’d be better off with an impact rated deep set? Mid depth set? 1/2” drive?

The issue I think I’ll encounter primarily is just old fasteners that have set firmly on each other after decades. My truck is rust free, but fasteners aren’t bright and shiny. Suspension and Whatnot will need bigger sockets, though using 1/2 too much is kind of a pain.

I was almost thinking this:

Capri Tools 3/8 in. Drive Shallow, Semi-Deep and Deep Impact Socket Set, SAE, 5/16 to 1 in, 36-Piece https://a.co/d/eBOvKQi

Do I want/need a set? Especially when I do have some Cr-V SAE quality sockets. Am I better
Off onesie-twosie?

I have a set of Williams SAE 3/8 somewhere though (they would have been too shallow for the job today). But I think for the long run especially in a deep socket I should get something impact rated. I can always turn it with a ratchet.

I don’t know what I’ll encounter but I don’t want to face that again. Going to a quality manufacturer and just buying a 3/8 and 1/2 drive 11/16 impact socket has crossed my mind. Surveying my truck and buying a few other sizes has crossed my mind too, instead of a set. I’m just hesitant to buy a lot of SAE tools I’ll never use.

So what would you do?

I would get a set also, but a used SAE set of old American made Craftsman shouldn't be too hard to find these days. I would stick with regular not impact, becuase the walls will be thinner and my experience is they fit much better.

You should have: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16 and 1 inch - which are all the standards below an inch.

Buy the sockets and enjoy them. That's a pretty darn complete set.
Regardless, he who dies with the most tools wins. And I have never been sorry I bought quality tools.

I would get a set also, but a used SAE set of old American made Craftsman shouldn't be too hard to find these days. I would stick with regular not impact, becuase the walls will be thinner and my experience is they fit much better.

You should have: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16 and 1 inch - which are all the standards below an inch.
I do have a set of Craftsman USA made ones. 3/8” drive shallow and deep, and 1/2” shallow. I also have a set of Williams 3/8 drive shallow ones that Incant find right now for some reason…

I had to use the 3/8” deep and it would have been easier/better if I had a 1/2 I think. I used it on my impact gun after I got the initial break/movement (didn’t want to be hammering on it forever since it wasn’t Cr-Mo.

But I’m not set on 1/2 impact sockets vs 3/8.

Soooo....keeping in mind OP is looking for a smaller set as he clearly states he doesn't want a lot more sockets and won't use them often.

Uhhmmm....1/4" I guess if you want to use 1/4" screwdriver bits?

5/16" (.3125") you can just use 8mm (.315"). Trust me, they ain't using different castings for 2.5 thou when manufacturing tools

3/8" maybe if you plan to encounter a lot of 10-32 or flange head 1/4-20

1/4" bolts are 7/16 and 1/2" is 3/4" so truthfully 7/16 thru 3/4 will get you 90% of what you're likely to encounter. Heavy hex on 1/2" u-bolts is often 13/16" and of course lug nuts but most of us probably have flip sockets for the latter.

Possible option:

And finally, it goes against every cell in my body to reco a limited socket set. I'm all for 1/4 thru 2" in all three drive sizes but I understand why OP wants to limit his purchase here.

I'd buy used sae sockets, regular or impact. No use spending more if you will rarely use them.

Here is a craftsman usa impact deep set. for $50.

Soooo....keeping in mind OP is looking for a smaller set as he clearly states he doesn't want a lot more sockets and won't use them often.

5/16" (.3125") you can just use 8mm (.315"). Trust me, they ain't using different castings for 2.5 thou when manufacturing tools

1/4" bolts are 7/16 and 1/2" is 3/4" so truthfully 7/16 thru 3/4 will get you 90% of what you're likely to encounter. Heavy hex on 1/2" u-bolts is often 13/16" and of course lug nuts but most of us probably have flip sockets for the latter.

Possible option:

And finally, it goes against every cell in my body to reco a limited socket set. I'm all for 1/4 thru 2" in all three drive sizes but I understand why OP wants to limit his purchase here.
I have all those small ones in 3/8 shallow. I think my Craftsman set may have them in 1/4” drive too.

So it’s really what larger fasteners that I may encounter on my Ram trucks and my S-10 ZR2, that might need an SAE impact… your list is good but if didn’t include my 11/16 bumper nuts that I loosened today ;)

I'd buy used sae sockets, regular or impact. No use spending more if you will rarely use them.

Here is a craftsman usa impact deep set. for $50.

Decent deal. New Williams impact sockets can be had for around $110-120, IIRC

I would get a set, just know they will sit unused for what seems like an eternity. I have a set of Snap on SAE sockets that are almost never used, some sizes I can't even remember the last time.

Possible option:

Tekton's warranty is 2nd. to none! If you get Tekton Impacts, make sure the size is stamped as well as that laser etched B/S that tends to wear off.
Have a look at Capri too. I have a Metric ton of tools, but I wanted to check out this Capri 3/8" Ratchet. Up to $15.50 now, but was $12.84 when I got it. It's made quite nice too!

Capri Tools 3/8-Inch Drive Low Profile Ratchet, True 72-Tooth, 5-Degree Swing Arc​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JX38ZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a set of their allan sockets too, and it's quite nice.

61dSuBApyGL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Somebody bumped the front bumper on my 96 ram the other weekend. It wasn’t enough to do anything but leave a slight white mark. But it did shift the bumper backward a bit on one side.

I wanted to get it straight, because the bumper cover was close to an ac line. So I went after it this am.

Came to realize they are SAE (duh). Had to look hard for a 6 point 11/16 deep socket, turned out I had a Craftsman one, but I sure don’t have the collection that I need.

Those bumper bolts are on there right despite hitting with penetrating oil twice over a week. One of the three is completely loose for whatever reason. Probably why it was able to move a bit. But it took a long breaker bar, a lot of force, and then an impact on a Cr-V socket to get it loose to adjust.

Sooooooo….

What to get…??

I rarely use SAE stuff, other than when doing household stuff with nuts and bolts. And that’s almost entirely 7/16, 1/2, and 9/16.

I know I’ll need to work on my Ram trucks in the future.

I don’t want a ton more sockets though, frankly. I don’t use them enough.

Not sure if I’d be better off with an impact rated deep set? Mid depth set? 1/2” drive?

The issue I think I’ll encounter primarily is just old fasteners that have set firmly on each other after decades. My truck is rust free, but fasteners aren’t bright and shiny. Suspension and Whatnot will need bigger sockets, though using 1/2 too much is kind of a pain.

I was almost thinking this:

Capri Tools 3/8 in. Drive Shallow, Semi-Deep and Deep Impact Socket Set, SAE, 5/16 to 1 in, 36-Piece https://a.co/d/eBOvKQi

Do I want/need a set? Especially when I do have some Cr-V SAE quality sockets. Am I better
Off onesie-twosie?

I have a set of Williams SAE 3/8 somewhere though (they would have been too shallow for the job today). But I think for the long run especially in a deep socket I should get something impact rated. I can always turn it with a ratchet.

I don’t know what I’ll encounter but I don’t want to face that again. Going to a quality manufacturer and just buying a 3/8 and 1/2 drive 11/16 impact socket has crossed my mind. Surveying my truck and buying a few other sizes has crossed my mind too, instead of a set. I’m just hesitant to buy a lot of SAE tools I’ll never use.

So what would you do?
That Capri set is nice too. I see it has the stamped and laser etched size too!

Yeah I’d vote on a set too. Really it’s hard to find bad sockets these days. I’ve used a wide array of brands. Tekton are my favorite for impacts them and Capri. Not overpriced and well made for what they are. The Pittsburgh aren’t bad either but they do wear out faster. I’d advise going with impact if you just need them for right now that way you can use it on hand tools or impacts. Most of my sockets came from the pawn shop because I can go in and fill a box for cheap. I’d look at some pawn shops and see if you can find a good deal on some that are used.

I've had this set for years. Abused them plenty, (breaker bar with cheater pipes), and never broke or damaged one. If you're not comfortable without paying more, their ICON brand costs more, and basically gives you the same thing, but with a slightly better warranty. They come in both 1/2" as well as 3/8" drive.

Just buy a used one on eBay. You'll find great quality USA made tools which were rarely used by the seller. To save money buy the tool/s you need not the whole set

Last edited:
Back