Chinese vs. USA Craftsman RP ratchets (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Are they branded Craftsman or branded Sears?
Craftsman.

Unfortunatly I traded them in on a new set from the Matco guy. I think I still have the 8mm one.

Ya but the profit still goes to the companies. Just like when a person in China buys a GM car, we get the money.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I think its funny that the OP doesn't like that Craftsman is made in China but the only cars he have are imports.

Ha! Good point.

However, my Nissan was built in Tennessee and my Hyundai in Alabama, so they're pretty American.

Ya but the profit still goes to the companies. Just like when a person in China buys a GM car, we get the money.
I think its funny that the OP doesn't like that Craftsman is made in China but the only cars he have are imports.

Ha! Good point.

However, my Nissan was built in Tennessee and my Hyundai in Alabama, so they're pretty American.

But it provides jobs for average Americans, which is what I'm most concerned about.

That's true.

Ha! Good point.

But it provides jobs for average Americans, which is what I'm most concerned about.

What else can they do to compete? If the customers would pay more for the usa they would keep them. The customers by and large don't care, they are looking for the cheapest, are selfish, and let someone else pay the higher price. That's the new thinking, me me me.

Now the people buying buckets of C'man tools at the flea or yard sales, turning them in for new ones, and reselling on ebay, will get China replacements, GOOD.

I avoid Chinese goods, but have a lot of them nonetheless, no choice more and more.

Why? Because I have heard more than one Chinese person or official say "we will replace the USA." That ought to be enough reason. I don't mind Europe, Japan, even Taiwan and Korea (except I detest their treatment of dogs and cats), but not China.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
What else can they do to compete? If the customers would pay more for the usa they would keep them. The customers by and large don't care, they are looking for the cheapest, are selfish, and let someone else pay the higher price. That's the new thinking, me me me.

Now the people buying buckets of C'man tools at the flea or yard sales, turning them in for new ones, and reselling on ebay, will get China replacements, GOOD.

I avoid Chinese goods, but have a lot of them nonetheless, no choice more and more.

Why? Because I have heard more than one Chinese person or official say "we will replace the USA." That ought to be enough reason. I don't mind Europe, Japan, even Taiwan and Korea (except I detest their treatment of dogs and cats), but not China.

Koreans don't eat cats. Majority of the population don't eat dog. A lot are against it. There are more Koreans who have small dogs as pets than those who eat dogs. Again, it's American media that poisons our minds. Just because they are kept as pets doesn't mean they can't be eaten. I had a pet parakeet, but I love to eat duck. I had a pet goldfish, but I love eating fish. American media has got to be the biggest poison in our society. How would you feel if other countries made fun of us because we eat crocodiles and alligators?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popinski

Some people just don't want anything from China.... so it doesn't matter if he/she owns an import.

true, and who cares if Taiwan is really china or not. it's ferrin.

32.gif

Years ago, I was at the local Acura parts counter waiting in line.

Ahead of me was an older Chinese gentleman asking the counter person about wheel locks. Because of the language barrier, the counter guy didn't quite understand and was getting kind of annoyed with the customer and looked to me
21.gif
(I'm of Japanese decent).

I told the counter guy, "I think he's looking for locking lug nuts." The counter guy goes back into the shelves and returns with the nuts and hands the customer the package.

"How much?"

"$49.95"

"Where are these made?"

"I don't know (sheez)"

Customer looks the package over and points, "Ah, made in the United States! I'll take them."

Customer smiles at me and says, "Made in China is [censored]."
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ross
Paulo, that made me laugh. Thank you..

Knowing quite a few Chinese folks living here in Los Angeles, their general sentiment is that they trust Japanese and German tools the most. Made in USA is an acceptable lower end first tier. In general they don't trust things made in China either.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Yes I probably should have.

I still have my dad's old SK 3/8 ratchet set from the 70's.

I have an SK 3/8 ratchet set I bought in the early 70s and there was no lifetime warranty on the tools then. Even have some combination wrenches and screwdrivers.....with green handles.

Broke the headbolts loose on a Chevy 396 engine with that ratchet and cheater pipe back in the 70s! Tough tools!

I just bought a set of Craftsman Flare Nut wrenches that are made in China. They are nicely polished and look like they are well made. Sears still stands behind them with their warranty.

I just went to my local Sears and looked over all the tools again. They still had all USA made ratchets with some China made ones infront of the USA made ones. I bought several USA made ratchets. Several of the low end ones and several of their pro-grade ones. The lower grade ones all have the plastic slector switch but it might as well be steel. I tried to break it and it is a very strong and hard plastic. Time will tell if it is a weak link but initial impression is that the slector switch is very strong.
The pro-grade ratchets are all 100% steel. I got a couple of the the new 84 tooth ratchets too and they are really slick! Can't wait to try them out! I'll post pictures as soon as I can. If you want a particular USA made Craftsmen tool you better buy it right now before the USA made stock is gone!

Here is all the USA made ratchets I just bought befor the China [censored] takes over. I think I'm set for a long time and will probably put a couple away for when my son grows up. They will be seeing use in a diesel shop and I'll report back how they hold up. All my other Craftsmen tools are older stuff from the mid 1990's and older.
The newer thin profiled ratchets(3 pack) seem really well built and super smooth. So do the new 84 tooth ratchets. They seem every bit at good as my Snap-On and Mac ratchets.....time will tell:

100_3443.jpg

I just bought a ratchet and socket set today. I told the kid at Sears that I would only buy the set if it was made in USA. He opened them up and everything was stamped USA, so I bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back