Servicing ratcheting wrenches

I have some (now older) craftsman ratcheting wrenches that were made in USA and feature the reversing lever. They clearly are in need some some fresh grease, especially the smaller ones…. Problem is I can’t really find a way to get them open to clean and grease.

I’ve tried a handful of oils and sprays but none help 100%. Has anybody had success opening this style wrench up? Alternatively, would there be anything better than ATF to immerse the heads in?

Letting the ratcheting ends soak in cup of atf should work well. That's what I do with mine.

Put some ATF in an old coffee can, peanut butter jar, etc. and soak them over night. Lay them in a foil tin for a few hours, overnight, whatever, wipe them off and use them.

The ATF trick was going to be my recommendation too. For the ones without a snap ring it would be nice to know how to get them apart. I think the one modification I’d have is to consider a good LV synthetic atf, to keep viscosity down and oxidation resistance up, and dose with some LM MoS2. That will plate the innards better and keep it slick…

I can’t say I’ve had issues with any of my ratcheting wrenches getting stiff or funny. I was given one by someone doing a job at my house that had clearly been left in the wet one too many times… but besides that I’m a bit surprised…

The ATF trick was going to be my recommendation too. For the ones without a snap ring it would be nice to know how to get them apart. I think the one modification I’d have is to consider a good LV synthetic atf, to keep viscosity down and oxidation resistance up, and dose with some LM MoS2. That will plate the innards better and keep it slick…
And you won't have to worry about the LM clumping in the bottom of your oil pan if you let your car sit for a few weeks. ;) Just having some fun........

I made a big mistake when taking one apart. There's a little spring and a BB and it was an pain to get that back in. Just spin it in a little bath of solvent and let it dry and soak in oil.

Last edited:
There's typically a snap ring hidden somewhere, but it can be difficult to get at or even see. They obviously weren't really built with the idea they'd ever be serviced.

He says the wrench has a reversing lever. Like everybody says i would give it a good soak in ATF and give it time to really drain.

What would you use instead?

The issue seems to be a heavy or sluggish action. So lubrication with as little drag is the notional goal.

In theory one direction everything slides, the other direction everything mechanically engages. So the key is to reduce friction and wear in the sliding direction.

There’s no heavy loading in that direction, so an oil film isn’t really critical. The key is something that will flow in quickly and leave a reasonable coating. ATF seems to be the time tested way to do it. And some ATF is better and thinner for this since they have been recently released.

Air tool oil or something like that probably would work too. Or something thinner. But ATF is on hand in greater quantities.

What would you use instead?

The issue seems to be a heavy or sluggish action. So lubrication with as little drag is the notional goal.

In theory one direction everything slides, the other direction everything mechanically engages. So the key is to reduce friction and wear in the sliding direction.

There’s no heavy loading in that direction, so an oil film isn’t really critical. The key is something that will flow in quickly and leave a reasonable coating. ATF seems to be the time tested way to do it. And some ATF is better and thinner for this since they have been recently released.

Air tool oil or something like that probably would work too. Or something thinner. But ATF is on hand in greater quantities.

I already mentioned MMO

How would that be in very cold weather?
I am assuming he is re-lubing/cleaning in warm weather, like--this summer.

Most of the gear lube will drain out before cold weather and leave an EP oil film inside.

There is not enough volume inside to hold enough lube to deter cold weather operation.

Last edited:
I am assuming he is re-lubing/cleaning in warm weather, like--this summer.

Most of the gear lube will drain out before cold weather and leave an EP oil film inside.

There is not enough volume inside to hold enough lube to deter cold weather operation.
Thanks!

He says the wrench has a reversing lever. Like everybody says i would give it a good soak in ATF and give it time to really drain.
I caught that in Post #1 but what are you saying is the significance of it being reversible? Certain lubes are better than others because it's reversible, or ?

Back