New version of Kabo’s Double-Box Flex Ratcheting Wrenches?

IMG_3281.jpeg

I think many of us are familiar with the double-box flex ratcheting wrenches made by Kabo - they are sold under the ATD/Icon/Mountain/Platinum labels. Matco appears to have a new upgraded version with 90 teeth (vs. 72), a different direction lever, and field-serviceable heads. I wonder if these are still made by Kabo?

Matco’s price for them isn’t completely terrible - $357 vs. ~$200, especially once you consider how often they broke and how difficult it was to get Mountain to warranty them.

Other than being 90 tooth which is no big shakes over 72 teeth, the heads are replaceable which is fine if they provide them free when they strip out. I don't see almost $160 of extra value.

Interesting! And even at current pricing they're like half what NAPA thinks the old Carlyles are worth :D
JFC

Other than being 90 tooth which is no big shakes over 72 teeth, the heads are replaceable which is fine if they provide them free when they strip out. I don't see almost $160 of extra value.
Would have to see the new ones in person - the old ones got pretty floppy after a while and the teeth were kinda rough. Objectively, none of these truck brands are ever worth the money - you can buy multiples of the cheaper ones and still come out ahead.

But like some things in life, it is user preference (experience) and "worth" is subjective.

Got them earlier this week- they’re a nice upgrade (IMO) over the “version 1” Kabos.

The wrenches are thicker which feels better in my hand. Heads are less floppy and the directional lever is in a spot that is less likely to get bumped. Ratcheting mechanism is also smoother than the older one.

I would not pay list price for them though. They’re not twice as good as the Icons. Maybe 25% nicer.

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

IMG_3988.jpeg

Got them earlier this week- they’re a nice upgrade (IMO) over the “version 1” Kabos.

The wrenches are thicker which feels better in my hand. Heads are less floppy and the directional lever is in a spot that is less likely to get bumped. Ratcheting mechanism is also smoother than the older one.

I would not pay list price for them though. They’re not twice as good as the Icons. Maybe 25% nicer.

View attachment 160245
View attachment 160244
View attachment 160243
Excellent point on stock thickness. My Carlyles (purchased before NAPA lost their minds) are really thin. They'll often flex before transferring meaningful torque, and they can be painful!

View attachment 160245
View attachment 160244
View attachment 160243

I do like the overall design better. (y)

Back