Ratcheting Wrenches - which styles do you use?

I have basic, normal length, straight head, non-ratcheting Gearwrenchs.

I only use them professionally for a couple specific jobs and the ones I use modified for those jobs.

Not sure why but I've never really gotten used to ratcheting wrenches. I'll either grab a standard wrench or a socket. 🤷

I have the standard length non-reversible GearWrench, and some real cheap flex head Pittsburghs that are only used if absolutely needed.

When I need to use the open end, I always go for the old raised panel Craftsman wrenches.

Not sure why but I've never really gotten used to ratcheting wrenches. I'll either grab a standard wrench or a socket. 🤷
They are great in tight spaces where there's no room for a socket. A good example is fan bolts on an old Chevy, where you're dealing with a fan clutch and shroud. Also, spark plugs that are close to header tubes.

I have the standard length non-reversible GearWrench, and some real cheap flex head Pittsburghs that are only used if absolutely needed.

When I need to use the open end, I always go for the old raised panel Craftsman wrenches.
I really like my old Craftsman wrenches. Wish I would have had the foresight to fill out my sets.

Whoever made mine (~2010) did a good job. They're thin, strong, fit well, and the finish is perfect.

Yeah some of my favorites continue to be these reversible Kabo-made SKs from ~2005. At the time the set ran 6-19mm and they just work. Backdrag is low-ish, length is reasonable and I've never had one fail
20240313_095956.jpg
20240313_095947.jpg

I have some older sets of Gearwrench and Craftsman ones. The one set of GW ones are flex heads and the other sets are not and they are the short versions and have held up fine. The Craftsman ones are not flex heads and I have not really used them much.

I recently bought a set of metric and Sae Duratech extra-long ratcheting flex head wrenches. I guess time will tell how they hold up.

I need to get some long ones. Right now I’ve just got stubby, regular length fixed head and regular length flex head. All Gearwrench brand. None of my tool truck guys have the Mountain wrenches so maybe after I pay vacation off then I’ll get the Icon or Mountain brand.

Same herę. My set was stolen and I bought them back from a pawnshop a year and a half later.
***? Cops didn't squeeze the Pawn Shop to just give them to you and then throw some stones at the POS that pawned them? (Should have at least given you their information so you could thank them)

***? Cops didn't squeeze the Pawn Shop to just give them to you and then throw some stones at the POS that pawned them? (Should have at least given you their information so you could thank them)

I never filled out a police report. I sat on hold and got shuffled around for hours so I gave up.

When I took it up with the pawn shop - the initials engraved into the wrenches " didnt match my name" ....lol.

I've gone by "Dave Sampson" my whole life, and one can find me on linked in today as that.

Not " William David Sampson" thats on my license. My dad was "Bill", I was Dave.

IMG_5298.jpeg
IMG_5297.jpeg

As a DIY tool minimalist, the flex head style fills a niche of "something different" vs. my other combo wrenches. I seldom use them, but they have gotten me out of a few pickles where other tools would not fit. I like to have a few adapters to make them more versatile :
1710610694812.jpeg
1710610570825.jpeg

As a DIY tool minimalist, the flex head style fills a niche of "something different" vs. my other combo wrenches. I seldom use them, but they have gotten me out of a few pickles where other tools would not fit. I like to have a few adapters to make them more versatile :
View attachment 208632View attachment 208631

In watching younger people work today its interesting to see how many dont use a flex ratchet like I was taught as a kid. More like observed once and went - oh cool.

The part they miss is flipping the assembly all the way up after cracking the fastener and using it as a "high speed" long bolt removal tool.

I dont see guys use speed handles like I did either. Leaning into them to crack,

All the kids use battery tools now and they can really get stuff done quicker than the old man here as long as they got their battery tech, take that away I can smoke most of them on standard tools.

Last edited:
Back