Ratcheting Wrenches - which styles do you use?

As the title states, which styles are most commonly used for your type of work?

I personally use the extra long, Kabo (sold under Mountain, Icon, Platinum, etc. brands) double-box flex ratcheting wrenches more than anything else. I rarely find the need to use any other style of ratcheting wrench in my routine workflow.

I'm a big fan of my swivel ratchets from HF. These look identical from Tekton.

ratchet.jpg

Mine are Snap-On combination 12 point fine tooth. Gearwrench are nice too, but lack the selector lever to reverse direction.

edit: Gearwrench do make ones with reverse lever. More exposed than the S-O though.

Last edited:
Williams - with the selector lever. I rarely need the flex end, though I have some in metric and SAE, and the Williams are just so smooth. Low back drag on them.

I had a set without the selector lever (still have them) but got in trouble once without being able to reverse, so I reach for the Williams every time.

I have this one.

GEARWRENCH 20 Piece Ratcheting Combination Wrench SAE/Metric, Silver - 35720A-02​

As the title states, which styles are most commonly used for your type of work?

I personally use the extra long, Kabo (sold under Mountain, Icon, Platinum, etc. brands) double-box flex ratcheting wrenches more than anything else. I rarely find the need to use any other style of ratcheting wrench in my routine workflow.

Those are my favorite as well, I just have a habit of breaking them (not holding torque)....The 13mm & 14mm mainly. If the Snap-on set I have had the offset drive like the Kabo's....They would be my favorite.

For standard combination ratcheting wrenches....My Taiwan made Blue Points have been stellar.

With that being said....I try to put a socket on every fastener I can.

As for ratcheting combo wrenches, I have a few Gearwrench sets, both reversible and non. In tight spaces, each type has its use.

I recently bought a metric set, also Gearwrench. A little more money than the made-up name ChiCom brands, but very high quality, IMO.

Someone above mentioned Blue-Point, which is Snap-On's lower cost line. I have a few of their mid-length sockets, which are very nice.

The newest reversible ones do. Part #XFRRM705
I was going to say that also because that's something I looked at. It's just enough to "reach in" to pulleys like belt tensioners (that don't take a square drive)

I didn't realize there was an earlier version.

I find the spline drive jams up on everything, so I don't use the Kabos you like that much. Plus with a really tight fastener they flex soooo much, and never break it free. That said, they are in my service cart because I need them enough that they're kind of a staple for me. But not my first choice ever.

Oh also the newer GW 90T flex heads are surprisingly nice. Fantastic action/minimal backdrag and they thickened the beams which feels so much better in your hand (I wish the XL Kabos were this thick and they would flex way less). Also the markings are incredibly easy to read.

Downsides:
1) they're GW who I love to hate
2) not reversible
3) way more expensive than the older 72T stuff

Back