Chinese vs. USA Craftsman RP ratchets (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always liked my craftsman tools and I have no major complaints about them. I really like there sockets and glad they started engraving and laser etching them all because the etching fades.

I need a new pair of channel locks but I will buy Klein if craftsman is making tools in China.

Although I respect your right to an opinion, I do not share it. Any country should have the right to market and sell its products anywhere in the world. GM's Buick market in China is huge.

Believe me, as far as "junk", there's been a lot of it made through the years from domestic companies. Vega? Chevette? Automotive junk if I ever saw it.

Originally Posted By: chestand
Although I respect your right to an opinion, I do not share it. Any country should have the right to market and sell its products anywhere in the world. GM's Buick market in China is huge.

Believe me, as far as "junk", there's been a lot of it made through the years from domestic companies. Vega? Chevette? Automotive junk if I ever saw it.

Whoa!!! I had both a Vega and later a Chevette, neither one was junk but a fairly priced economy car that both delivered more that 100,000 miles, granted neither one was up to my Corvette, but neither one cost as much either.

Back to tools I have Snap/On, craftsman. tools made in India back from the 50's and 60's, tools made in china. Most have served me well and done the job they were made to do, those that didn't got replaced no mater where they came from.

Originally Posted By: cchase
When did they go to plastic selector switches, anyway? I missed that detail in the first post.

I just looked at a new USA made 3/8" ratchet that I purchased at least 5 years ago and the selector on it is plastic.....

How about requiring Communist China on all their goods imported here instead of China? Maybe people will notice that more. No it isn't right when a country dumps goods and steals research and copies products exactly to sell cheap and take over the market. I notice the newer China stuff is just as expensive as the old USA stuff more and more. This is not a fair country, communist China, we are dealing with here. The communist China one is probably better made than the USA one as they have the motivation and vigor in their booming country. We are hanging on with depressed workers losing their jobs, in these old line industries at least.

Originally Posted By: Chadwilliam1
my issue is not with buying stuff made in China but when you move jobs from America.
hey buddy, sorry to interrupt, but this decision was already taken by the government years back and we are only seeing the end results now.

my issue is not with buying stuff made in China but when you move jobs from America.

they will probably maintain the same quality.

I am skeptical. I've posted before about problems with some premium-priced stuff that was made in China. No QC.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Last time I checked Channel-lock pliers by Cooper tools are still made in USA.
Meadville PA

how much is saved per wrench?
maybe thats covered in other posts?
we give away jobs to save $.75 on a tape measure

where can I find a mid price level 12 v car tire air compressor- most are chinese and people complain about breaks after 3 uses or 10% duty cycle

Last edited:
Menards is having a Made in the USA sale this week and I noticed in their ad they have a Masterforce set of sockets and screwdrivers that are made in teh USA. I haven't looked at their tools before but might next time I need something....

Originally Posted By: css9450

I am skeptical. I've posted before about problems with some premium-priced stuff that was made in China. No QC.

I have experienced this too first hand and heard from others.

Even the so called "industrial grade" products that come from their that are supposed to be manufactured to higher standards seem to always fall short if not more so than the consumer grade stuff. This isn't white box stuff either, it is from supposedly reputable brand names we all know. FRAUD!

Originally Posted By: css9450

they will probably maintain the same quality.

I was referring to the craftsman line.

Was at Sears yesterday looking at a set of 3/8" impact sockets that were on sale for $21.95. One set on the rack contained made in the USA sockets, the other made in China. I bought the USA set. Sad to see this happening to the Craftsman line of tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back