Semi-Deep vs. Deep Sockets

The ones sold as Icon or Matco, Carlyle and others are all made by Kabo and good quality.

Exactly, the longer the socket the more unstable it is on the fastener. Not good if the nut/bolt head is already sketchy with rust.
Oh I know they're Kabo but NAPA's pricing is amazing. :D

I don't like that spline drive. It's ok for splined fasteners, but it's cheesy to use spline on non-splined fasteners.
I don't trust it when things are REALLY stuck or rusty or slightly rounded/at risk of rounding. I know some say it grips better but that has not been my personal experience

Yes they need to back of that crack pipe just a tad. I dont own any Icon but it is looking like a sleeper.
Yep, you got that right! NAPA priced themselves out of the tool market for me a few years ago. They had some decent tools, and when on sale they had some pretty good deals, that ended. For what they're charging now I gave up on them. With a little patience and shopping better tools can be had for less.

Last edited:
Thoughts:

Minimal difference between shallow and semi-deep in 1/4”. Probably not worth it.

In 3/8”, the Astro Nano sockets are almost the same depth as standard chrome sockets; may not need to own both. Dimensionally, semi-deep appears to fit nicely in-between shallow and deep.

The times when I’ve just been a tad too short with a regular socket have been many. I think the semi deep are also bigger inside and deeper inside to take the shaft of a bolt that sticks through a nut.

So I’m cautiously optimistic.

If you’re into funding Chinese spy balloons…
Made in Taiwan just like Blue Point, Williams Taiwan, Sunnex, Black Hawk, Grey, Astro, Tekton and a lot of other brands. I was in HF a few weeks ago and it is easy to avoid Chicon crap in the tool sction.

Made in Taiwan just like Blue Point, Williams Taiwan, Sunnex, Black Hawk, Grey, Astro, Tekton and a lot of other brands. I was in HF a few weeks ago and it is easy to avoid Chicon crap in the tool sction.
Taiwan stuff is generally pretty good nowadays; they don’t seem to attract companies looking for the lowest bidder.

With that said, my philosophy is to give money to the best product from a performance and/or value standpoint, and country of origin is not a consideration for me.

This thread reminded me I was short 1/4” drive DEEP sockets
CC921BF5-1F20-4057-AF8D-8F29ADF9B153.jpeg

Anyone make deep sockets with an external hex on them? A deep socket with a ratchet over it would get into most spots that a mid length would I think?

Anyone make deep sockets with an external hex on them? A deep socket with a ratchet over it would get into most spots that a mid length would I think?
Not that I’m aware of, but I’d ask on Garagejournal. I do own a set of Astro nano sockets (extra shallow) with that external hex.

Snap-On. I only have the 10mm. It’s great for certain BMW valve covers and occasionally, battery hold downs. CTA makes one as well.
What is the benefit of the super deep socket over a regular deep socket and locking extension?

Back