18v impact driver/wrench

CNT

18v 1/4 inch hex impact driver (link)
* 145 ft-lb
* 1/4" hex drive collet
* this is what I currently have

vs

18v 1/2 inch impact wrench (link)
* 485 ft-lb (forward) / 620 ft-lb (reverse)
* 1/2" anvil socket

Obvious I have the 1/4" impact driver (both 12v and 18v and both RIDGID) for many years. I just never thought of using it to work with tire lug nuts. Just recently I bought the impact socket adapter set (link). Since it has 1/2" drive socket, I just thought of could use it for lug nuts on cars/trailers? I just haven't attempt to try it (no time to get around it), so I am just going to ask without see it for myself. I see my mechanic has the 1/2" impact wrench (among many other tools) that he uses for his auto work. While I don't experience with the 1/2" impact wrench, I am going to ask questions...

Specifically RIDGID brand, I read reviews that the 1/2" impact wrench don't work well with lug nuts. Some say it vary in torque measurements. Other say it doesn't even loose/break lug nuts. I wonder if I should look into buying one? Have you use such 18v 1/2" impact wrench (any brand)?

With what I have, the 18v 1/4" impact driver, would this be suitable for lug nuts, as occasionally home driveway tire rotations?

Along with this topic, I am sortof interested in looking at Husky torque bars (link). So, if you experience these, are those good to have? Do they last long time (is the torquing part forge in metal or involves rubber bushing that could weaken over time?)? Nonetheless, this is lifetime warranty. Again, would this work with 18v 1/4" impact driver (as it's 145 ft-lb) or need to use the 18v 1/2" impact wrench? Most likely I would use only the 100lb bar (for tires).

Specifically, I am planning to buy this Husky 1/2" impact flip socket set (link) soon. Just saying.

It's just that I am noticing I am now doing more of tire work (like brake work too), so I like to know if what I have is suffice? If I need to go with 24v or whatever, then forget it. I have portable air compressor, so I could buy 1/2" air impact wrench (but would rather avoid air hose). Also, I would need to buy a floor jack (mine got stolen years ago) and a 1/2" clicking torque wrench (probably a Craftsman brand).

I know you said Rigid but I also have the Milwaukee and it does the lug nuts on my Suburban effortlessly.

I have the Ridgid Impact and it's awesome. I've been using it off and on while doing various maintenance items on the car (to remove and install the lug nuts only), as well as swapping the battery into the drill for maybe a half dozen other around-the-house jobs, and the battery still indicates 3/4 LEDs.

I Use the number 3 torque setting (max) to remove the lug nuts and the number 1 torque setting (min) to install (after starting the nuts by hand, of course). Installing using the 1 setting until it first begins to rapid-click equates to maybe another 1/4-1/2 turn being needed until my torque wrench clicks - perfect!

I used to be a by-hand-only kinda guy, with my trusty crow bar, but I gave Ridgid a try and am very happy with them

Also: LIFETIME WARRANTY (when you register online)

IMO a 1/4 inch impact is too light for when you need to use an impact. Sure, it will work for a while but going forward....

I consider 3/8 a minimum (I have 3/8 and 1/2). A 100 ft-lbs may be what the installation specs says but real life (like corrosion, idiot shop installer, etc) may triple that. Also think of all the other battery tools/lawn equipment/etc. you might consider and pick the system of one manufacturer so you don't end up with a nightmare of batteries and chargers. (my son ended up with a dozen + of the Milwaukee line, from tools to landscaping, to carpentry)

Since you have a compressor - A 1/2 inch air impact is under a $100 (something to consider)

I've been wanting to get an electric impact, but since I have a cheapo air compressor I've been reluctant to spend big money.

I goofed at Home Depot the other day and got a Makita 3/8's impact, it was on clearance, but it wasn't until I got home that I found out that I had gotten something from their 12V line. Doah! I have their 18V drill & quarter-inch impact, and had been hoping it'd work with that... nope. Was hoping to have a light duty impact that was light in the hand, and I'd just drag out the big tools when actually needed--many things will come apart with a low power impact, but when you need power, go big or go home.

Whatever you do, watch out for extensions--you know, 6" or whatever that you might have between the tool and the socket. I forget what I was doing but one day I went to zip something off and my "big" Earthquake wasn't moving it. I was kinda surprised, then thought about it, removed the extension and... off came the bolt effortlessly. Pointing that out as some reviewers might have a 3" or whatever non-impact rated extension while working on lugnuts, and that might be complicating the issue.

I've got the Dewalt 20V 1/2 inch impact and the 3 speed Dewalt 20v 1/4 inch Impact used for Screws and renovation tasks.

I would not even bother trying the 1/4 inch for tires. I also have a 60 gallon air compressor and impact gun, but I use the Dewalt for tire swaps. Much easier and quieter to do tire changes. Rigid is a good brand and has the best warranty. I already had the Dewalt 20v line, so that's why I went with it.

Links are posted here

Dewalt 20v 1/2 inch impact

Dewalt 20v 1/4 inch impact

the 1/4" is for driving screws into wood or other medium duty stuff.

the 1/2" is heavy duty for lug nuts and brake calipers and suspension work.

I have both tools. Not Rigid but other brands and they each do their job well. I've had brake bracket bolts that my 3/8" breaker bar wouldn't budge and there wasn't room for my longer breaker bar that the cordless 1/2" zipped right off without much effort.

I love the ridgid stuff because of the lifetime service agreement (which I have used after extreme wear on batteries and a motor)

I would be tempted to try the Ridgid and return it if it doesn't work as well as you want. Nothing to loose!

A 100 ft-lbs may be what the installation specs says but real life (like corrosion, idiot shop installer, etc) may triple that.

I would not even bother trying the 1/4 inch for tires.

the 1/4" is for driving screws into wood or other medium duty stuff.
the 1/2" is heavy duty for lug nuts and brake calipers and suspension work.

I would be tempted to try the Ridgid and return it if it doesn't work as well as you want. Nothing to loose!

Did you mind melt with me? Looks like I should get the 1/2" impact wrench.

I did looked and held Milwaukee's 1/2" at HD, it sure was "big" and slightly heavy, but not bad. I looked at DeWalt too. I wonder why RIDGID is behind (with ft-lb)?

Sometimes I wonder if I made mistake start going with RIDGID instead of Milwaukee or DeWalt, or even Bosch is good too. I am not into other brand power tools, Ryobi, Porter Cable, Craftsman, or Makita (I still have - Makita - cordless drill when they first came out in blue carrying case and long battery LOL). I turn my face away when I see Kobalt. But, those (Mil, DeW, Boo) are expensive. Nonetheless, the RIDGID combo and others I have is still rough and tough, makes my friends marvel I get my work done.

It's interesting seeing now there's 20v (and few 24v). Even combine the 20v to makeup 60v or 120v. Pretty soon, those handheld batteries would suffice a house during storm blackouts. I am not ready for a cordless miter saw (nor cordless chainsaw) yet.

Thanks for the replies.

I have Ryobi and they only go to about 300 foot pounds with their impact. I just got the Milwaukee 2767 because I want to make sure I have enough to get lug nuts off, bought a used car once and a couple shops couldn't get the lug nuts off, someone went crazy on them. Finally found a shop that had a bigger air gun and he was able to get them off.

If you look at the ratings, that 1400 is about the best out there, I think there's only one other out there that does 1500 but that's even more money. It's probably overkill because this is meant for trucks.

I have both of those--bought them together in a kit.

I have never had the 1/2" NOT work on a lug nut. Just working on passenger cars though, not big trucks.

I see a push for Milwaukee but ANY "mid torque" (300-500 ft lb) is suitable for frequent lug nut duty and if you have a car or small truck (under 130 ft lb spec) even the smaller impacts (150-200 ft lb) will suffice for occasional lug nut use. I don't like using 1/4 impact drivers for any kind of bolt busting. I use them for driving not removing although they are often powerful enough. I have Kobalt compact 3/8, compact 1/2, full size 1/2 and Milwaukee 3/8 stubby impact wrenched, all of which take off my trucks 110 ft lb spec'd lug nuts easily and just about everything else including axle nuts and leaf spring shackle bolts. I have yet to actually NEED the largest one. More important than brand is sticking with a platform you have or plan on having multiple tools on. My 3 platforms are Kobalt 24v, Milwaukee 12v and Craftsman V60 for outdoor work (lawnmower, chainsaw, blower).

Just a quick follow up... the RIDGID website about R86011B

Best-in-Class Fastening Torque with 485 ft.-lbs. when paired with OCTANEâ„¢ battery (not included)
Best-in-Class Breakaway Torque with 620 ft.-lbs. when paired with OCTANEâ„¢ battery (not included)

I got RIDGID AC840087 battery (and didn't realize this one is 3 year warranty?). The website doesn't spec for with this battery. So, I am guessing it's going to be marginal lower than 485/620?

The RIDGID R86010B is more like what this battery would do? This (R86010B) is 325 ft-lb (both forward and reverse).

Maybe I should wait for RIDGID next generation model (could now be years later)? I could just buy the Mil or DeW and then have new two platforms? Or, just buy the air impact since I won't be using the 1/2" impact often enough? choices choices!

You could get by with what I do when working on nice chrome lug nuts, or locking nuts. Instead of hitting them with my IR 1500ftlb cordless 1/2in impact, I will break them all loose by hand, and use my cordless 1/4 inch impact to run them off and back on. Then snug them by hand before lowering, and finishing with a torque wrench. Very easy.

Back