Semi-Deep vs. Deep Sockets

What is that for? Why would you need one that deep?
What is the benefit of the super deep socket over a regular deep socket and locking extension?
Mainly required for removal of some MB rear bumper covers due to the long studs, but it is nice to have something that you can grab without also needing an extension. Plus it comes in handy for some battery tie-downs that are ridiculously long.

Both are offered in 12 point metric which is what I'm interested in.
Ah, so you'd be looking for Sunex 3338 or GP 1203MSD. I have a set of GP semi-deeps and a set of Sunex semi-deeps - no difference in finish or wall thickness that I can see.

Reviving as I recently got the Carlyle semi-deeps in metric. I already had SnapOn fractionals I got from the pawn shop.

In 3/8" drive the Carlyles are 3/16" longer in every size.

I don't think you could say it's good or bad, but I prefer SnapOn's length for some reason. That said, the Carlyles are WAY more affordable, esp if you compare piece-count (SnapOn is available in a couple sets of varying sizes)
20240105_192401.jpg
20240105_192408.jpg

Its hard to describe but its one of those tools that just works nice for a lot of things. I have a full set in 1/4 inch that I got from Cornwell but the Snapon 10mm lives on my M12 impact driver, use it every day
I like mine for battery hold downs.

Reviving as I recently got the Carlyle semi-deeps in metric. I already had SnapOn fractionals I got from the pawn shop.

In 3/8" drive the Carlyles are 3/16" longer in every size.

I don't think you could say it's good or bad, but I prefer SnapOn's length for some reason. That said, the Carlyles are WAY more affordable, esp if you compare piece-count (SnapOn is available in a couple sets of varying sizes)View attachment 196958View attachment 196959
Now I’m curious about the icon’s…

Reactions: D60
Now I’m curious about the icon’s…
All the Snappys are 1-5/8"

I think Carlyle was shooting for 46mm IIRC -- if you're willing to let a few thousandths slide, that's 1-13/16" for all practical purposes

I'm certainly not above shortening a Carlyle given the low cost (and two lathes sitting in my shop). My specific use case will be at least 2 of the 3 nuts on the top of '04+ F150 struts, 15mm

I think I caught the Carlyles on sale and they were ~$65 total to my door. At the time ebay was slim pickings for the more comprehensive (which would match Carlyle piece-for-piece) set in SnapOn. New retail is out of the question for SnapOn, at least given how much I intend to use these.

I looked at Icon and do not remember why I didn't go that direction (shrug)

Back