I'm DONE with "premium" oil filters

We have a 2003 Honda CR-V with 110k miles on it now. I have been using the same super tech synthetic oil in it and fram filters. When I went to check the valve clearance recently, there was pretty much zero varnish and absolutely no sludge In the engine. The cams looked great! I have switched to supertech mp filters as of last month, they seem to be much better made for the price point. Now in my 2022 trailboss I use ac delco filters and mobile one oil at 3500 miles instead of the prescribed 7500 miles. It has the new 2.7 HO turbo engine so figured I’d change it more often than my non aspirated engines.

Last edited:
I agree, all premium filters should be 99% at, AT 20 microns. USA made. silicone ADBV.

There seems to be different tiers of filters:
DIY price competitive cheapest possible
Jobbers for shops
some mid range offerings
top of the line filtration+milage.
boutique filters
The sad thing is the US made oil filters gets fewer and fewer by the day and foreign made gets more, more and more

I ran into the same problem myself today at WM. Hardly any ST filters or ST oil in stock.
My Walmart has no 5qt jugs of super tech. They just put some 5qt jugs of Quakerstate in the area there too not have total empty space.
Plenty of ST filters though.

I haven't noticed any decrease in quality. Still feel solid as a rock to me. I've been using for about 150,000 in my Tacoma, and I have 314,000 miles now. Draw your own conclusions, I'm staying with Hastings.
Where do you buy Hastings filters at? I’ve never seen them except online.

I remember when Purolator came out with the PureONE about 15 years ago. They started the war of the 'better' oil filter. 20 micron 99% efficiencies. Synthetic or Synthetic blend media, it was all new. In a world where tin can filters were $2-3, where the (edit - mod) said 96% at 40 microns was good: here was a product that seemed head and shoulders better and cost 2-3x as much.

Mobil jumped in on the game next, and came out with a 20 micron filter that they shoved more media in with deeper folded pleats. They claimed 15k miles "extended" performance. I was in love and bought that one too. Never mind paying $10-$12 for an oil filter. These filters could take out anything down to very high efficiencies.

Now the only 20 micron left is the fram ultra. But this is the orange can company and they are all getting sloppy too. The youtube cut opens are showing many brands with sloppy globs of glue, sometimes chunks of glue on the RETURN side of the media, ready to flow right into your engine and plug a tight passage.

The legendary m1 is now a 30 micro ho hum efficiency. Multiple videos cutting them open show glue slopped on the bottoms and backsides of the end caps. Gone are the crimped end pleats, they just glue the end pleats together. Mobil expects us to pay $12.71 at walmart for my rav4 2021 filter.

I saw some other companies (orange) with glue stains on the backside of the media. And some people are finding these"louvre" steel center tubes have bad stamping and the "louvre" is mostly bent shut.

So I'm now just like (edit - mod)! I"m going with Supertech MPs. They at least have a silicon drainback valve, i can stick a flashlight in and look for glue on the wrong side of the media, and you know what? I think the nylon center support cage is fine. Helps me see defects and you know what else? It doesn't need to hold 50 pounds...just a few, so its fine.

ST MPs have 30 micron 99% ratings. Thats good enough, (edit-mod) same rating M1 makes at 2.5x the price. The oil filter world doesn't seem to want to spend the extra on legit 20 micron media. The whole filter world is run by Harvard MBAs, where they LITERALLY have a case study they teach that instructs students that it is usually easier to just convince people a product is better than actually make it better. None of this is even considered unethical by these vampire training colleges. Charge more, claim more, but supply with common quality or even junk. They make a fool out of every one who wants better and is willing to pay.

Lesson for me is: buy the cheap stuff and just watch for problems. The ST MP4967 i just bought was $5.50 at wallyworld. Fram and especially Mobil: Go pound sand.

View attachment 107940
I tend to agree. My son is in marketing and he has told me “Dad, if you owned an oasis and I had enough time and money, I could sell you a truckload of sand.”

My main concern with "modern day engines" is that the oil capacity is going less and less, and OCI's are longer and longer. Which means with less capacity, the oil is cycling far more thought the system, and getting a beating.

My main concern with "modern day engines" is that the oil capacity is going less and less, and OCI's are longer and longer. Which means with less capacity, the oil is cycling far more thought the system, and getting a beating.
Really my 2004 Corolla oil capacity was four quarts the 2022 Mazda is five quarts.

Good point.

I don't think the capacities are getting lower, but the oil is doing more. The example given was the 2004 Corolla vs. the 2022 Mazda. The 2004 Corolla might have a quart less, but is a very basic engine in comparison to the 2022 Mazda. DI, turbos, and VVT are all harder on oil.

I’m gonna stick to OE Toyota/Subaru/Honda or Fram for the things I service. I’ll use ST or Chinese(Ecogard/Premium Guard) if need be.

Say all you want about the OCOJ/OCOF/OCOD, but unlike M+H’s slipping quality with Wix, Fram has proven to keep their quality consistent.

I’m gonna stick to OE Toyota/Subaru/Honda or Fram for the things I service. I’ll use ST or Chinese(Ecogard/Premium Guard) if need be.

Say all you want about the OCOJ/OCOF/OCOD, but unlike M+H’s slipping quality with Wix, Fram has proven to keep their quality consistent.

Has their quality remained consistent?

I'm switching brands after getting two filters in a row that required pliers to clean the threads....

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/posts/6278899/

I’ve never been to the Louvre. I hear it’s nice.

Check out the Full filters at NAPA. Excellent build quality at a great price.
Isn’t FULL the brand with the s-type media? I seem to remember this, and I’ve even C&P’d one IIRC (maybe ‘53 Stude did it for me back then). It’s a novel idea to fit more filter media area in, and it was certainly well-constructed. Problem is supply- they’re not in stock at all NAPAs, and they’re certainly not shelf stock at any major chains. I also seem to remember they are just average on filtration specs, but it’s been awhile.

OG XG10575 on my 3.5EB until I run out, although I do have a 2yo EaO17 waiting as well.

Edit: dang memory, FULL is not the s-pleat. Found my FULL C&P thread, looked good:

Yeah, 3.6 Pentastars have gone from 6 quarts to 5.

Back