If Im doing 5k OCI, is there an issue running an API 5w30 Syn in my 2010 VWJetta 2 5?

Find a 502.00 spec oil and worry no more. Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol Edge 0w40 would be my pics. Readily available and affordable. The "average" 5w30 synthetic, even of high quality will not meet 502.00 spec.

Why not just do 5K changes on a basic Euro oil that has the right approval? The cost is about the same as is the ease of buying it. Sure...you can run basic 5W30 Supertech oil in that 2.5 but I can't see why vs. Quaker State Euro Synthetic 5W40 for a dollar more/5qts delivered to your door.

Why not just do 5K changes on a basic Euro oil that has the right approval? The cost is about the same as is the ease of buying it. Sure...you can run basic 5W30 Supertech oil in that 2.5 but I can't see why vs. Quaker State Euro Synthetic 5W40 for a dollar more/5qts delivered to your door.
After digesting all the info from BITOGers, I think that is the plan.

After digesting all the info from BITOGers, I think that is the plan.
It's really a no-brainer, it would be different if the Euro oils were really $$$ or hard to find. We ran basic 5W30 in our MK4 Jetta w/2.0 for a bit without issue BTW but went with the M1 0W40 after a while once I found out it was easy to find. That car went to 220K/14 years under my ownership.

Ok, so now were getting to the nuts and bolts. So youre saying that in order to get the Euro manufacturers' approval, the oils are just flat out better due to stringency vs API approvals?

Thanks everyone for helping me understand this Euro stuff better.
We discussed this long time ago to death.
API couldn’t meet demands of European manufacturers in beginning of 1990’s. API represents interests of petroleum blenders not car manufacturers. Hence, ACEA.
The reason was that downsizing in Europe really started in late 1980’s and engines demanded better oils. By mid 1990’s most popular engines in Europe were diesels with variable geometry turbo. That required much better oils than API was approving. Mbut to make life easier to customers manufacturers started their own approval process. Why thinking what do you need, guessing? We will approve oil for you engine and just pick ANY oil with that approval.
Of course, approvals set minimum standards, so there are better oils than others with same approvals. But generally, these oils, especially ones with MB229.5 and MB29.51/52 (“diesel”) are exceptional oils.
However, be aware of unknown oils claiming that they “meet and exceed “ requirements. Some major blenders have that language too, but that is different.

It's really a no-brainer, it would be different if the Euro oils were really $$$ or hard to find. We ran basic 5W30 in our MK4 Jetta w/2.0 for a bit without issue BTW but went with the M1 0W40 after a while once I found out it was easy to find. That car went to 220K/14 years under my ownership.
The main reason to bring it up was that Ive got a pretty decent stash of 5w30 that I could get about 2 years worth of OCIs.

The main reason to bring it up was that Ive got a pretty decent stash of 5w30 that I could get about 2 years worth of OCIs.
I don't see any issues. Just keep an ear out for odd noises when the oil gets hot. It may be slighlty noisier, but should be peppier performing. This is a low power density engine.
Running at 3000 steady state is not an issue at all other than engine noise and reduced economy due to gearing

It's a 12 year old Jetta with the 2.5......use whatever you have if it's easier. This really doesn't make any difference here (to me). If you were going to the store to buy oil, yes, I'd buy Euro oil.

Not high stress per se, but I was surprised that it revvs at 3000 at 70 mph on the highway. I wish I had a 6 speed.
That means an automatic.

Since the 6-speed manual would have been a close ratio geared transmission for performance, not economy, unless it was from a TDI, which then had more overdrive gearing

NA spec 2.5 and later 1.8 TSI used to come with just a 5-speed manual.
Not sure about NA automatic, but Euro spec Mk5 that are not DSG came
with a 6-speed Aisin auto.

I do 10k oil changes on my daughters 2008 Jetta 2.5. We bought it with 15k miles, it currently has 180k miles. The 10k oil changes caused no real issues.It has been remarkedly trouble free while not quite Toyota reliable but not terrible at all.

Not high stress per se, but I was surprised that it revvs at 3000 at 70 mph on the highway. I wish I had a 6 speed.
my 2013 2.5 vw passat with a 6sp a.t. runs 2200rpm at 70mph for 36mpg. i have never understood the hate from the professional automotive intellectuals for the 2.5.

i can’t add to discussion’s intent as mine gets 12 mo dealer oci that happens at about 8k miles these days.

nheat, couldn’t you frankenbrew your non-vw spec 5w30 synthetic oil stash? either mix it with a vw spec oil or time your oil changes to use your 5w30 over the cooler winter months. just a thought if you want to wisely expend your older-spec, aging stash, albeit at a slower pace…

A 6sp wouldn't change that. My 2012 Honda Accord has a 5sp. At 80 mph it's at 3k. I've driven a 2020 accord with a 6sp manual, it turns 3k in 6th. Just 1at,2cd and 3rd gear are closer, 4,5,6 are further spaced, regardless the final drive is the same

You can swap the GTI 6 speed in but the revs do not come down much. Also remember the the Speedo is not accurate on the mk5 2.5 cars. It’s about 5mph fast.

my 2013 2.5 vw passat with a 6sp a.t. runs 2200rpm at 70mph for 36mpg. i have never understood the hate from the professional automotive intellectuals for the 2.5.

i can’t add to discussion’s intent as mine gets 12 mo dealer oci that happens at about 8k miles these days.
The mk5 2.5 has a transmission geared for fun/acceleration. The Passat is very conservatively geared plus it has taller tires and the final drive was not changed for that. The 2.5 is a tank.

I do 10k oil changes on my daughters 2008 Jetta 2.5. We bought it with 15k miles, it currently has 180k miles. The 10k oil changes caused no real issues.It has been remarkedly trouble free while not quite Toyota reliable but not terrible at all.
Good info. Thanks!

My MIL hade a Jetta 2.5 I used everything from 5w30, 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40. Never an issue going 10k miles. Car went to 150,000 then got traded in.

Back