I think I am done with sams club.

Costco isn't all that great of a deal. I do know they have good quality stuff and customer service is great, but I just don't think I need to buy that much stuff.

Target and Walmart with their free shipping is great. I cannot find a reason to use Amazon prime when their price is higher than Target and their return is only 30 days. It is great for rare items but not for everyday stuff. BTW, Target will price match Walmart, Amazon, Best Buys, and a few other big box places too (need to check), so that's what I do all the time, price match and walk out of Target with Walmart and Amazon price.
I agree with your post, except I hate Target and price match means nothing to me. I buy from the person who gives me the best price first, not someone who will charge me more for the same item and only lower the cost when I "complain"

Im big on Walmart, free ship, easy returns, easy pickup. With that said, lowest price wins and rarely do I ever, if ever see that at Target.
Walmart, Best Buy, Sams Club and Amazon, I hate Amazon but low price wins from any of the 4. :eek:) also throw in the wild card = EBay.
I am a Sams club member and happy with it for ordinary everyday stuff. But merchandise in general is from the others.

Also, you don't need a Costco membership to shop there. Just have a friend buy you a gift card. Then split the payment. I did this for 2 or 3 years when I lived near one.

I have an upgraded Sams Club card and it saves substantially on prescription drugs. My BP medice was $120 for 3 months supply till the upgrade on the card brought it to $30. I asked and upgraded there and then. Get free shipping too on orders online just like Amazon Prime. Have that too. I find for me it is worth it not to look all over town for something. Just order what I want and in a couple days it shows up.

I haven't been to Samsclub since January, There are a few things there that are unbeatable values such as garden hoses and a few other things, however I get turned off because I got a sales pitch about upgrading our membership. Not interested. I go 4 times a year on average, spend 4 to 5 hundred dollars and im done. I have gotten the sales pitch many times over the past few years. Tired of it.

My membership expired in march and im over it. Tired of being pushed by to upgrade memberships, sign up for this blah blah blah. We buy TP and Paper Towels on Amazon now among many other things delivered right to our door, just as cheap or cheaper, no sales pitch.

Im sure someone will mention Costco, im sure its great, the nearest one is over an hour away on a good day, Sometimes its an hour and a half.

Not that it matters to Sams. but thier never ending push to make an extra buck with their annoying sales pitch, which may save some money, but overall has people breaking even or loosing on the deal, has completely turned me away. I cant fault the cashier, they obviously have some sort of quota.

Plus if I were to go back I have to go to customer service desk to get a new membership my membership otherwise it will be backdated to may when mine expired if I pay at register and I will "waste" several months of membership. And Im sure they will push their B.S. savings programs on me.

I dislike amazon for various reasons but not enough to not use them. Its easy, fast and efficient. And do they really treat employees worse than walmart/sams?

Yes I know costco is the greatest thing since sliced bread and treat employees better but I dont want to tie up almost 3 hours driving round trip. I would rather just get paper towels at walgreens at that point.

Can you tell im getting old and cranky?
You could probably go and buy 6 months worth of stuff, let it expire and then take advantage of a groupon in 6 months.

My dad get med from Costco all the time, you don't need a membership for that. Just tell the front checker you are going to the pharmacy and they won't stop you.
True-but you get points using their credit card when you buy meds. Im not sure if Costco members get meds cheaper with the membership/credit card. But my rebate last year with the Costco card was substantial.

True-but you get points using their credit card when you buy meds. Im not sure if Costco members get meds cheaper with the membership/credit card. But my rebate last year with the Costco card was substantial.

With the Executive membership they pay me to shop there!

Reactions: CKN
I had a Sam's membership.
I found it of no use. For 150$ I can buy an entire months worth of groceries for two at Aldi and Target.
For 150$ I can walk out of Sams with 2 years of laundry detergent, 2 years of sponges, enough dried cilantro for 5 years, peanut butter for a year, trashbags, papertowels, and toilet paper for 2 years and still have to buy actual food.

My roommate loves sams club, he came back the other day with something like 48 microfiber towels for 24.99$.
I was like wow. im still on my 1$ pack of 3 from Aldi from like...a year ago?

I am not sure that the membership fees offset the purchases you would actually make. To me, it kind of goes like a gym membership. In this order:

1. You get the impetus to join a gym. May or may not be a sale. $10? $25? Either can be planned for. May as well make it the cheaper one. You take the plunge. You sign up. Annual building maintenance fees assessed sometime for $39 or so. Cool.

2. You go a few times in a week, maybe even twice a day sometimes. You love it. You do some exercise. You feel good.

3. You go to work.

And this is where it all falls apart.

Now you're tired. You worked hard. You go home.

Maybe, maybe.. in that first week or two.. you go to the gym to work out before or after work. You maybe do this a few times.

Then you go to work again.

Now you are sleeping.

Now you are no longer at the gym. Not waking up early, getting there before everyone else, none of that. Just going to work and working real hard. Physical job or not, your body is still awake and needs rest..

Now you are cancelling your gym membership.. feeling silly for ever having joined in the first place. You stayed two weeks.

Now let's compare to a membership club.

Same kind of thing! Some family member tells you how amazing Costco is. Don't even bother with Sam's or BJ's, Costco is the good one. So you sign up.

You go a few times, shocked at how large everything in there is. For the first few times, it is cool.

Chances are you had to deal with a long-ish line, bought more of something than you planned for, and had high traffic coming in and out. And at the Costco location near me, it is debit card only for gas and the lines are long! Sure, gas is the cheapest in town by about 10 cents...

So, a similar thing happens. Now they are closed after work. Might as well just go to the store that is closer. Whether that is a Walmart or Kroger's. This is about the time I would mention Amazon, which is also very good for most things, as I always said, except for things you need right now... and also, you know where the cheapest station or stations are. If you use a certain gas, you know where that is too. And you know where you go when you just need cheap gas and where you go when you maybe want to put in something "better" ... Etc etc etc. Chances are your car is maintained so well your choice of gas won't matter. Including a clean fuel system. But hey. Moving on...

And then, eventually, you realize that the closer FREE stores work just as well, have what you need, and cost almost exactly the same. No sales pitches, put your phone number in for savings if that is what they do, and smart shopping principles can still apply.

The shine wears off.

Yes! I quit shopping at Sam's Club and cancelled my account after their tire fiasco. My parents purchased tires for my car as a Christmas gift and was told I didn't need a membership for free balance and rotation, as my parents were members. Then it was i guess we can do it after looking up my parents info. On my third trip it was " Sorry you don't have a membership and we can't service your tires until you do." Haven't been back again.

I have had the exact same experience. They can keep their tires.

I will not be dealt with like I am in a prison.

Last edited:
no longer want to be exposed to that many foreign and local people from an area in ?

At least for me, it pays off.

I have the Sam's Club MasterCard. I usually get about $300 back each year. I pay no interest. My Plus membership is $100. In non-Covid times, I can go at 7am before the crowds arrive, so for just over $3/month more, I can go in early and get it done.

The 5% rebate on fuel really helps.

It's a zero cost choice for me, even at the $100/year plus membership level vs the $60 (or is it $40) / year standard membership.

I am not sure that the membership fees offset the purchases you would actually make. To me, it kind of goes like a gym membership. In this order:

1. You get the impetus to join a gym. May or may not be a sale. $10? $25? Either can be planned for. May as well make it the cheaper one. You take the plunge. You sign up. Annual building maintenance fees assessed sometime for $39 or so. Cool.

2. You go a few times in a week, maybe even twice a day sometimes. You love it. You do some exercise. You feel good.

3. You go to work.

And this is where it all falls apart.

Now you're tired. You worked hard. You go home.

Maybe, maybe.. in that first week or two.. you go to the gym to work out before or after work. You maybe do this a few times.

Then you go to work again.

Now you are sleeping.

Now you are no longer at the gym. Not waking up early, getting there before everyone else, none of that. Just going to work and working real hard. Physical job or not, your body is still awake and needs rest..

Now you are cancelling your gym membership.. feeling silly for ever having joined in the first place. You stayed two weeks.

Now let's compare to a membership club.

Same kind of thing! Some family member tells you how amazing Costco is. Don't even bother with Sam's or BJ's, Costco is the good one. So you sign up.

You go a few times, shocked at how large everything in there is. For the first few times, it is cool.

Chances are you had to deal with a long-ish line, bought more of something than you planned for, and had high traffic coming in and out. And at the Costco location near me, it is debit card only for gas and the lines are long! Sure, gas is the cheapest in town by about 10 cents...

So, a similar thing happens. Now they are closed after work. Might as well just go to the store that is closer. Whether that is a Walmart or Kroger's. This is about the time I would mention Amazon, which is also very good for most things, as I always said, except for things you need right now... and also, you know where the cheapest station or stations are. If you use a certain gas, you know where that is too. And you know where you go when you just need cheap gas and where you go when you maybe want to put in something "better" ... Etc etc etc. Chances are your car is maintained so well your choice of gas won't matter. Including a clean fuel system. But hey. Moving on...

And then, eventually, you realize that the closer FREE stores work just as well, have what you need, and cost almost exactly the same. No sales pitches, put your phone number in for savings if that is what they do, and smart shopping principles can still apply.

The shine wears off.

I have had the exact same experience. They can keep their tires.

I will not be dealt with like I am in a prison.

I still like Sam’s because of the automotive section and my parents get their medicine free with the premium membership. Now for tires no they broke a wheel stud on my dads car and wouldn’t pay for it and said it was already broke so we are done with them there. They also have a better selection of Sodas than BJ’s. But BJ’s has some good things too. As for Costco I don’t know because I’ve never been to one or even seen one in person lol.

He's up almost 70% year to date, could be even higher if you chipped in. Probably help me out too as probably many of my mutual funds have the stock.
My wife is helping … I’m just Chairman of the Cardboard 😷

My wife and I have an "Executive Membership" which costs over $100 annually. That said, we get a rebate on everything we buy, and the annual refund check has been over $300 for years. So yeah, it pays for us.

Back